Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland

+7
Stonehouse
OldePilot
purple haze
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
keeper
PurplePrideTrumpet
11 posters

Go down

USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland Empty USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 pm

So the rumor about the New Zealand friendly was incorrect.

Four Pilots in the game seems like a little better deal to me.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland Empty Re: USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland

Post by keeper Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks PPT- you beat me to the punch on the update to the rumor. Seeing the 4 Pilots will be more fun.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland Empty Re: USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 am

This was imbedded in an O article on the Timbers--

Note: The U.S. Women's National Soccer Team will make a stop at Jeld-Wen Field September 22 to face Canada in a friendly. Kick off will be at 8 p.m. and the game will be aired on ESPN2.
The game will feature four former University of Portland stars: Megan Rapinoe and Stephanie Cox for the U.S. and Christine Sinclair and Sophie Schmidt for Canada.
Fans can purchase tickets starting Aug. 12 at 10 a.m. Tickets start at $22 and can be purchased at www.ussoccer.com or by phone at 1-800-745-3000.

Another tweet said tickets would also be available at the Timbers ticket office.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm

According to the US Soccer release, Visa card holders will be able to purchase tickets a day early, using their Visa cards. I don't know any more about it than that.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 pm

When I called to order my tickets, the Ticketmaster robot voice said the opponent was New Zealand, but I ordered them anyway. When the tickets arrived yesterday, they indeed said Canada. Oh, Ticketmaster robot also said the game will be at a place called "PGE Park."
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:40 am

I'm undoubtedly the last one to realize that Christine is sitting out the friendlies. While it will be very special to see Sophie, Megan, and Stephanie, I had hopes of four co-captains coming out for the coin toss at Jeld Wen. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Crying or Very sad
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:12 pm

No Sinclair? R-E-F-U-N-D! Nah, I'll be there with purple on.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am

Hey everyone... if you're going to the game, you're welcome to attend a pre-game gathering UP is sponsoring at the MAC Club. Here are the details:

September 22 - Pre-game gathering at the MAC
On Thursday, September 22 at Jeld-Wen Field, Pilot alumni Megan Rapinoe '08, Sophie Schmidt '11, and Stephanie Cox '07 will take to the pitch in an international friendly match between the U.S. and Canada.

If you are planning on heading down to Jeld-Wen for the game, please stop by the 26 Founders room at Multnomah Athletic Club at 6 p.m. for a pre-game reception for all Pilot fans. The first 150 people on hand will receive a limited edition t-shirt. Heavy appetizers and soft drinks will be provided, as well as a no-host bar.

Please RSVP to alumni@up.edu so we can make sure we've got enough food for everyone. Contact U.S. Soccer for ticket information.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:32 am

Megan and Stephanie were at City Hall this morning, and were honored by the Mayor and the rest of City Council. Huge props to Commissioner Nick Fish for making this happen - he's a die-hard Pilot fan and a season ticket holder!

USA-Canada WNT, September 22, Portland Dscn1310

The game was sold out, but US Soccer just opened up some more tickets on the upper deck, so you might be able to still get one if you act quick.

Oh, and don't forget UP alumni office is hosting a pre-game event at the MAC Club that is open to all. Opens at 6 PM, and there will be free food as well as a no-host bar. First 150 fans get t-shirts too!

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 am

The understatement of the day (week, month, year) from the Oregonian: Another former UP star, Stephanie Cox, played the full 90 minutes as a defender for the U.S.

The match was fun, the crowd was great, the weather perfect, and all the Pilots looked like I remember. But Stephanie was marvelous in my opinion. All the World Cup discussions regarding Amy P. at the outside back were accurate and underscored by last evening's performance.

I think the Canadian attack would have been a bit improved with Christine. Many of the long balls that their striker touched but ultimately mishandled would have been a different story at Sinclair's feet.

Go Pilots!

OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:25 am

P obviously equals Lepielbet...but it's early and you know who I meant Very Happy
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 am

I totally agree with your assessment of Stephanie's play. I thought she did a fantastic job, especially in how she initiated the offensive in the new formation. I don't have a clue as to why she normally doesn't start but with her performance last night, I would have to believe that Pia took notice. And I would say that no matter what college she played for!

I also liked the way Tobin Heath and Kelly Ohara played when they came in. They certainly made the best of their time out there! And as always Alex Morgan comes in and finds a way to score!

In summary, wonderful game to watch. I really loved the fast pace action of the game! I'm already looking forward to the next game!

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 am

Tobin Heath was a refreshing change from The player who tríes to nutmeg her way through hordes of defenders. I had given up on her and thought she played her way off the squad in the WC. She did good things last night. Not perfect, but enough to give hope that her soccer acumen might eventually live up to the promise of her obvious physical skills.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by tugboat annie Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Nice to see the comments about Stephanie. I've always loved her game, the calm and sureness, as well as the offense she offers. With Megan's play in the middle, I don't think she'll be out of the line-up any time soon.
What a treat.

tugboat annie
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Anyone see Sophie get stuck in on Megan in the second half? Laughing

It wasn't the Pilot Club but I trust the MAC was to everyone's liking, except for the lack of Pokies.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:57 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:

It wasn't the Pilot Club but I trust the MAC was to everyone's liking, except for the lack of Pokies.

I would think the Multomah club would Get the ones with the monogram....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

Rookie question: what are pokies?

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Tobin Heath was a refreshing change from The player who tríes to nutmeg her way through hordes of defenders. I had given up on her and thought she played her way off the squad in the WC. She did good things last night. Not perfect, but enough to give hope that her soccer acumen might eventually live up to the promise of her obvious physical skills.

Tobin is young and I believe under Pia's coaching she will become an extremely good player and good asset to the national team. I believe that Megan has learned from being on the team unders Pia's coaching. She still mistakes at times but she definately creates opportunites and brings that energy and Pia has recognized that and rewarded her by putting her in a very important postion in the new formation.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 pm

I think Meghan really played well in the new formation. I think it is perfect for her. She could easily have had two goals - I think the second one might have bent the crossbar.

Say what you want about Abby - she is still a dynamite goal scorer.

I also noticed the Sophie and Meghan meeting - I loved it. As I recall, it was a draw.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:34 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:

Rookie question: what are pokies?

Knock off M&Ms. Served in the Pilot Club. Their aerodynamic features are optimized for use as a projectile weapon against obnoxious opposing team coaches.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 pm

fan from afar wrote:I think Meghan really played well in the new formation. I think it is perfect for her. She could easily have had two goals - I think the second one might have bent the crossbar.

Say what you want about Abby - she is still a dynamite goal scorer.

I also noticed the Sophie and Meghan meeting - I loved it. As I recall, it was a draw.

Glad I can say I saw Abby Wambach play and score in Portland. What a baller. (Fun fact: Last time I saw Hope Solo play in Portland she came on as a striker for UW in a Nike tournament game.)
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:50 pm

fan from afar wrote:I think Meghan really played well in the new formation. I think it is perfect for her. She could easily have had two goals - I think the second one might have bent the crossbar.

If that had snuck in under the bar, it would have equalled the 2005 game breaker against Notre Dame.

Randy Waldrum was quoted as saying it was the hardest strike ever - man or woman.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Apparently not being able to score is not limited to current Pilot players, Megan had the exact same luck last night as the whole team has been having all season,

The event at the MAC was very good. The setting was excellent and the food was too. UP did a fine job.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 am

The WNT game was such amazing exposure for UP women's soccer. (Not that the World Cup wasn't!) This city loves the WNT, the Canadian team and the many Pilots who represent their countries so ably. When young girl soccer players see Megan, Stephanie, Sophie and Christine on these stages, they must consider UP as a college choice.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down