Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 Expectations

5 posters

Go down

2011 Expectations Empty 2011 Expectations

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:11 pm

I am, admittedly, not an avid follower of the women's soccer team. I enjoyed going to games as an undergrad but my passion is for the men's basketball team. That being said, what is the general outlook for the team this year? What are our expectations? What are some key issues that might determine how well the girls do?

I browsed and was unable to find a topic regarding these sorts of questions. If I missed one, feel free to call me a semi-insulting name and point me to it.

Cheers!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

2011 Expectations Empty Re: 2011 Expectations

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:49 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:

I browsed and was unable to find a topic regarding these sorts of questions. If I missed one, feel free to call me a semi-insulting name and point me to it.

Cheers!

Injuries and roster size are biggies. We have the talent

For more:

https://www.pilotnation.net/t3908-official-recruiting-class-announcement

Paraguayan Smile
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Overall expectations are hard to define right now. Pilots lost four key starters who had been huge players: Jessica and Elli - two starting outside defenders; and Keelin and Sophie - starting center of midfield. So large holes to be filled.

GK: well covered by Hailee and Erin

Center D: Michelle O and Cloee have been very strong but now possible that Cloee moves up to midfield. Someone will have to step up and partner MO. Kassi has started games. Maybe one of the freshmen will step up. I'm sorry that Molly Klier is not on the roster.

Outside defense is a problem: Kendall was going to play there but she's injured. Emma Nelson, Sarah Bridges, Michelle Cruz, Malloy Leahy - pick two names from those four. Or does one of the McCluskie girls play out wide?

Midfield: Possible that Cloee plays in front of back four (position that Andre Villas-Boas calls the six). Taylor Brooke started lots of gasmes out wide - expect to see her there. Ellen Parker has played plenty and expect to see her get more time. In the spring Danielle Foxhoven played in midfield and looked good. Sippel, Bridges and Kurle will also be looking to show well. Kurle may get time up front too. Sippel has had two seasons off because of injuries - remains to be seen if she can get back to full fitness.

Forward: Micaela had a good fall and a less impressiver spring. Hallie K has improved every season. Kaila Camelli has scored goals and has a promising reputation. Dani F also knows where the back of the net is.

All adds up to a lot of questions because there are four starters to replace but maybe some more changes because of places filled by changing positions: Cruz at outside defense? Colohan and Foxhoven in midfield?

Makes it fun to see the first couple of games. We were surprised by some of the lineups in spring so looking forward to seeing how they line up v Miami in a few days.

Just for the heck of it how about this line up:

Erin Dees; Michelle Cruz, Michelle Olivier, Kassi McCluskie, Emma Nelson; Taylor Brooke, Cloee Colohan, Danielle Foxhoven, Ellen Parker; Hallie Kreminski, Micaela Capelle. Heavy bias in favor of existing players: I expect us to see Malloy Leahy and Kaila Cameli in the starting line up soon in the season if the reality lives up to the promise.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:20 pm

It was pretty clear last winter that this season the biggest opportunities would be at outside defense and central midfield. Most programs are fortunate to have one player the caliber of Reed, Tsao, Schmidt, or Winters.

I like the striker combination in Harry's XI. Hallie was very nice in the supersub role last year and I would like to see more of her.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Should be good to see Hailee and Erin playing with more experience this year. I can't wait to see what they can do defensively. Also, on another small note... They will have new goals to defend. They installed those box goals that you see professional teams using. They look like this (and please excuse my usage of a Gonzaga soccer field as an example):

2011 Expectations Soccer_field_2

Just a small tidbit of info.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan11 Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

I am also new to the nation... Smile After watching the spring games and not knowing anything about injuries ill go with the following:

Dees
Olivier
McCluskie K.
Bridges
Leahy
Cruz
Foxhoven
Brooke
Colohan
Frisbee
Cameli/Capelle (I can't decide)

I'm still not sure about who they will run up the flank because the L McCluskie is recruited as a CMF and without Johnson it seems like thats the main hole to fill. Maybe Sipple... if she's back from injury? It seems like Cruz and Colohan could step up and hold down the middle if they aren't injured.

pilotfan11
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down