Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome, BYU!

5 posters

Go down

Welcome, BYU!   Empty Welcome, BYU!

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:45 am

BYU is now officially a WCC member... they are a great addition to the conference, and will challenge all current members to raise their level of competition. The additional exposure and revenues generated will greatly benefit all 9 members!

Also, the new WCC logo was unveiled... and while I am glad they bucked the trend of shield shaped logos, I am a little underwhelmed...
Welcome, BYU!   26478010

Enough with the pleasantries... let's beat the Cougars! Basketball

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Welcome, BYU!   Empty Re: Welcome, BYU!

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm confused... Is this for the Lone Star Republic Conference? A castoff from GW Bush's last campaign?

I guess it doesn't immediately fill me with glee, but I'll get used to it I guess. Haha, perhaps by not having stars for all the WCC schools in the conference it will allow for the addition/subtraction for teams in the future. You know, when the Zags leave us for the Pac-12 like so many of their fans think they should.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 pm

The WCC has really done things well under Zaninovich... this logo is the first fail... I guess we shouldnt complain too much...

I shudder to think how much the conference spent on some fancy designer to come up with this yawner of a logo, that in fact might just be a knock off of a George W. Bush re-election sign... Neutral

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 pm

I mean if they were gonna rip off something, why not just do a classic script like the Washington Senators logo or something along those lines? Go retro instead of whatever this is... I mean I guess it doesn't have big 90s cartoon logos with teal on it, but seriously... (Oh did I just make it awkward for Pepperdine people?)

AND it has the same red-white-blue color motif as the Big West Conference (OK minus the extra shade of light blue and tannish highlight that they have, but still... same idea)

Welcome, BYU!   Big-west_medium

I'll let the Men on Film sum up my feelings about this new addition to our lives:

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 pm

With the addition of BYU, the West Coast Conference has adjusted its brand for the first time in over 15 years. Designed by SME of New York, the new WCC logo features a bold, symmetrical W over an element that represents the conference's wide range of campus beauty. The strong, bold W symbolizes the continuity and stability of the conference's membership, as well as the WCC institutions' commitment to the student-athlete balance of academics and athletics through a holistic education. Below the W is an element that signifies the beauty found throughout the West Coast Conference. It evokes the coastal waves, rivers, hills, and mountains boasted by each campus. A five-point star sits atop the W, representing the conference's storied history, alignment and tradition - which began with five original members at its founding in 1952 - while also paying homage to the stars highlighting the geographic placement of the membership in the most recent WCC logo, in use since 1995. The new logo will roll out with the bold W accompanied by the words "West Coast Conference."

Who writes these? Sounds like a description from the J. Peterman catalog.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:57 pm

What a load of crap.

I wonder how much SME was paid for this cruddy logo?

They could have had a design competition for students from all the member schools, with a prize probably in the range of 10% of what was paid to SME, and ended up with something just as good, if not better.

The W is not bold or strong (in fact the old WCC logo's font was bold & strong), the star and color scheme is more reminiscent of Texas than the west coast, and "element" thing is lame.

It may be time for a Timbers-esque logo revolt....

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm

PilotNut wrote:It may be time for a Timbers-esque logo revolt....

You mean huff and puff a bunch, but ultimately accomplish nothing?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Sigh... I guess it COULD be worse:

Welcome, BYU!   New_mountain_west_logo_fails_to_evoke_mountains_or_the_west

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 pm

With "Mountain" and "West" in your conference name, how do you end up with a block? Question

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Rubik's Cubes are the cornerstones of athletics?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:12 pm

First, congrats on BYU finally entering the conference, elevating the conference to a higher level of media attention literally (Provo is roughly 4,500 ft above sea level) and through their athletic prowess(in the WCC sports).

With the pleasantries out of the way; I'm giving the lukewarm reaction to the new logo (especially DTR's feelings) two snaps up and a Welcome, BYU!   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv96WPMAwt_F_GpkOTe4_cWz6sJJ-R81ZzvOZq7l1uK42dXYkg for dessert!

To be fair, it could be worse and we could have: Welcome, BYU!   Big10-08-hdr-logo

Perhaps a creative mind at SME knew they needed something to balance the logo, looked around their house and saw: Welcome, BYU!   2Q==

Maybe I'm being too hard on SME because they have produced great results with Louisville's new logo Welcome, BYU!   9k=,Welcome, BYU!   Z, and of course, Welcome, BYU!   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmBpO1cPJeXcBPa0SZFMccwH42gy-pTRkBevfT4GonQfVOfHeqFA . Rolling Eyes

Perhaps they should have gone with the Nut's idea and make it a conference wide competition. If anything, it could have become a good portfolio item for the art majors in the conference.

Also, DTR, shouldn't the honor of cornerstones of athletics go to our friends in Grand Rapids, Michigan? Welcome, BYU!   ChampsWebGraphic(1)
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:20 pm

The last one looks like it is right off the Wheaties box.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I am concerned about how this logo will look on all of the basketball floors, and on TV? The half of the gyms & various camera angles that will see it upside down will see an "M" with a tilde... that's all that little swooshie thing is!

The writing is small, so it will be very difficult to read from a distance or from an angle, as most TV shots will be. Nothing about the logo says tradition, strength, etc... it just comes across as cartoonish. Nothing about it says "west coast" or the integrity/strength of the schools.

I guess the conference logo doesnt matter THAT much, but.... its an opportunity missed, and who knows how much was spent on it. Hitting my head agai

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by basedballer Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm

pretty awful looking logo. having byu in the conference is a good look for wcc as a whole.

basedballer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum