Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USF @ Pilots 2/17 ...6:00 PM...

+9
ShipstadPilot11
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
Woodless!
Stonehouse
W W Winkie
blacksheep
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

USF @ Pilots  2/17     ...6:00 PM... - Page 2 Empty Re: USF @ Pilots 2/17 ...6:00 PM...

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 am

DaTruRochin wrote:A lot of that foul disparity had to do with us fouling them down the stretch to get ourselves back in the game...

Fouling at the end of games happens a lot in college games and the pros, but, there's rarely an advantage of 18. Having 18 more is like what D-Wade and Miami did to Dallas in the finals a few years ago. It's absolutely absurd. In addition, just because we're fouling them does not mean that we shouldn't be finding a way to get to the line too...

We got to the line 17 total times, and they made it 35 times. Think about it. Absurd. Shocked They outscored us 23-10 from the line. We definitely needed those points, and we didn't get them...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

USF @ Pilots  2/17     ...6:00 PM... - Page 2 Empty Re: USF @ Pilots 2/17 ...6:00 PM...

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 am

Think about it, with them in double bonus for the last 2 minutes of the game, we foul 5-6 times in that time frame thats 10-12 foul shots... without that the disparity is maybe 7-8 not, really that big of a difference as far as basketball goes. And if we have a healthy Kramer in there, you aren't going to see nearly as many "recovery" fouls on people getting in to the lane that we saw last night with our more inexperiences post defenders.

As far as manufacturing foul shots, we don't really have the slashing personnel that is going to drive in and attract a lot of foul shots, I wouldn't count on us winning that battle very often unless, of course, we are the ones up late in the game.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 am

Okay, yes. You're right the double bonus does explain it. Sad All the same, we've got to figure out how to get ourselves into the double bonus so that we don't get killed there. You don't have to have slashing personnel to get to the line; you just need a few guys to cut to the basket without the ball. I think Sikma is more than capable.

I looked at several other box scores from our games this year, and the only other time we got worked over like that from the free throw line was the horrendous loss to Santa Clara (35-12 free throw advantage). In the previous loss to USF both teams made it to the line 23 times. We have had plenty of games this year where we did find ways to make smart fouls at the right times in games and/or we found a way to get into the double bonus.

Now, that Mauro night is over with the bow ties and all, maybe we can move on to Geezer night with Pliney on the house at the Chiles Center.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm with PP13 on this one. USF is for real. We could not get stops when we needed them, and USF's defense prevented easy looks. Rev was trying every lineup he could throw out there and not a lot worked. Frustrating night, but you have to move on. In my old age I find I don't get too worked up about games, whatever the result was. Razz

And thanks to onetouchfutbol for letting me know I was closing in on 2000 posts. That means I get the beer delivered to my seat now, right?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:21 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:And thanks to onetouchfutbol for letting me know I was closing in on 2000 posts. That means I get the beer delivered to my seat now, right?

It's self serve now, after months of research it turns out the Admins and Geez are only good at delivering mysteriously 1/3 full beers. We apologize for the inconvenience.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pdxinsanity Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 pm

[quote="DaTruRochin"]82-73 Dons...

UGH. That game was just a shame, after fighting back to take the lead we absolutely crumbled in the last 5... We couldn't buy a shot if we wanted to (which coincidentally that last 5 gave me the sudden urge to do...) and just seemed to succumb to both turnovers and poor shot selection. A lot of freshman PT tonight, especially down the stretch.

Agree. Live and die with the freshmen. Some bad decisions down the stretch. But more importantly thought the defense was not good the entire game. We should not be giving up over 80 in a league game at home!

pdxinsanity
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 pm

If Kramer is in there, that doesn't happen. His hard nosed defensive leadership and veteran savvy would not have allowed it to happen. But from a positive standpoint I think there will be a lot of great teaching aspects from this game and I have confidence they can be used to help our younger players grow. (I just wish it wasn't a result the seniors had to suffer in their 2nd to last home game)

I should also reiterate that the Dons absolutely took advantage. At this point their freshmen are not playing as such anymore and Walters should absolutely be commended for his recruiting and coaching.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 pm

I never looked at the box score, but we were giving SF a lot of easy outside shots and threes. I was commenting to the guy next to me at the game that it is unusual for us to do that. At times all 5 of our guys were collapsed into the middle and within arms length of the key even before an USF player drove to the hoop or passed it inside. Seems to me like USF was getting a high % shot from 3 because we were giving it to them.

Maybe we were afraid of their inside game and wanted them to shoot from outside. I dunno what the game plan was, but the defense seemed much different than normal.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2