Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is anybody watching the Portlandia series?

+3
pilotram
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
7 posters

Go down

Is anybody watching the Portlandia series? Empty Is anybody watching the Portlandia series?

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 am

I haven't been into many sitcoms since Seinfeld, but, I can get into a sitcom that softly pokes fun at everything in Portland: http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=portlandia&utm_campaign=original%20series

It's actually pretty funny...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Is anybody watching the Portlandia series? Empty Re: Is anybody watching the Portlandia series?

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 am

I have to disagree, I've watched all 4 episodes thus far, it has yet to make me legitimately laugh. It's kind of given me the same "oh that's clever" reaction you get reading New Yorker cartoons. The skits drag out far too long, and really just aren't that humorous...

I really wanted this show to be enjoyable and funny, but after more than enough time given to let it "develop" I can't call it anything but a disappointment.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Is anybody watching the Portlandia series? Empty Re: Is anybody watching the Portlandia series?

Post by pilotram Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

It's awesome. But UP is pretty far removed both physically and culturally from what they are poking fun at.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm

I think the show is pretty funny so far... I consider myself a fan. The bookstore scenes make me laugh out loud!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Good, I'm glad that I'm not alone. I see where you're coming from DTR. It definitely has an SNL feeling to it (with jokes that go on a little bit too long), however, the humor is definitely at a more sophisticated level than some of the bathroom humor stuff that SNL resorts to now and then. I'm not sure how many episodes it can last for before they run out of material though...

Yeah, the feminist bookstore and the 'local chicken' skits have been my favorites.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Well it has 2 more episodes left and got picked up for another 10 for next year... I suppose the low expectations of an obscure network will earn you that.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7VgNQbZdaw

I love this one! If reading makes you a hipster, I might be slightly more of a hipster than I thought.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 am

So on the latest one, they had a girl wearing a PSU shirt. Hope to see some UP love on there someday! The bike movers skit was filmed quite obviously on Willamette, and there was a skit that was under the St. Johns bridge. I feel like we're getting there....
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 pm

pilotram wrote:...... and there was a skit that was under the St. Johns bridge.
Did you notice the unbelievable pregame party going on at the condo under the bridge? OUTRAGEOUS!!! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm

pilotram wrote:So on the latest one, they had a girl wearing a PSU shirt. Hope to see some UP love on there someday! The bike movers skit was filmed quite obviously on Willamette, and there was a skit that was under the St. Johns bridge. I feel like we're getting there....
The bike movers skit was filmed at/in my house!!!!!!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 am

Niiice! I hope that wasn't your lamp that shattered on the street.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 am

I'm going to stop telling people I lived in Portland because as soon as they hear it they all ask: "so you know the show Portlandia.... is that really true?"

Silly New Englanders....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 am

pilotram wrote:Niiice! I hope that wasn't your lamp that shattered on the street.
No they were actually very respectful - took pictures of everything so they could put our house back together when they were done and brought their own **** to break.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:52 am

DaTruRochin wrote:I'm going to stop telling people I lived in Portland because as soon as they hear it they all ask: "so you know the show Portlandia.... is that really true?"

Silly New Englanders....
When my wife and I watch the episodes, we often say, "That is SO Portland!" Razz (We live in the Couv).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am

There was a recent episode where two people in cars arrive at an intersection and fight over who is going to let the other go first.

My wife once had somebody back up and park rather than go before my wife did.

My wife was at a stop sign....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I generally respond with: "sure it is like that, but unlike the show people in Portland actually make me laugh."

Total burn.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:22 pm

So, a bit of a sporting theme tonight with LaMarcus Aldridge, getting “geared-up” to bicycle in Forest Park, and cheering at a Timbers Game.

The funniest and truest skit of all - teaching Portland to recycle using 20 different colored bins. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Season finale Friday had our Portland couple deciding to give up the mandolin concert for marionberry pancakes – good choice, and a good ending to the series' second season.

Loved it when they had to go “south of Burnside.”

Is anybody watching the Portlandia series? Marion10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down