Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by onetouchfutbol on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:42 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:I have yet to try Pliny. I should probably put that on a "To Do Before Graduating" list. 3 more months..

I like it. Drinking a Pliny before graduating...along with carving your name onto the Twilight Room ceiling...possibly in the same night!

----------------

By the way, Stephen Colbert did a hilarious piece about a dirt cheap beer that Wallmart has begun to sell: $3 per six pack. It sounds like the worst stuff on earth. If anyone finds a youtube clip, please post...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 48
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by DaTruRochin on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

Purplegeezer wrote: and...um...my favorite pub carried it Very Happy

After mentioning it time after time you all of a sudden get a little mum when it's PTY month?? I see your game... I might have to make a southward swoop and squat there just out of spite....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Location : Boston, MA
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by up7587 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:47 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:By the way, Stephen Colbert did a hilarious piece about a dirt cheap beer that Wallmart has begun to sell: $3 per six pack. It sounds like the worst stuff on earth. If anyone finds a youtube clip, please post...
I think you mean THIS. It is Walgreens that sells Big Flats beer. "It's the water that makes it."

But back to the original topic! Do you think Rev plays hold-em, or is he more a 7-card stud man? scratch


Last edited by up7587 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : BBCode fumbling)
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4482
Age : 65
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Try and stay on topic, will you? The subject is beer.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10892
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Rochin54 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

While he is a stud, I'm saying Hold-em. I've heard he's so good that his game doesn't deteriorate the more Pliny the Younger he drinks. Stud.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 680
Location : Suburbia
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by onetouchfutbol on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 pm

[quote="up7587"]
onetouchfutbol wrote:
ShipstadPilot11 wrote:By the way, Stephen Colbert did a hilarious piece about a dirt cheap beer that Wallmart has begun to sell: $3 per six pack. It sounds like the worst stuff on earth. If anyone finds a youtube clip, please post...
I think you mean THIS. It is Walgreens that sells Big Flats beer. "It's the water that makes it."

But back to the original topic! Do you think Rev plays hold-em, or is he more a 7-card stud man? scratch

Yeah, that's it. Hysterical clip... Big Flats Beer-- "Reviewers have said that it has a skunk odor upon opening...followed by a headache upon finishing it."--S. Colbert. Hahaha...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 48
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:31 am

Geezaldinho wrote:you might want to consider working up

try RR's Blind Pig first.
If you like that, try Pliny the Elder

Then try the Younger. It will give you an endorphin kick.

you don't start out eating  Habañero peppers, do you?
I love this thread, it captures the essence of happier times on PilotNation when the exuberance of the young UP guys (well, even back in 2011 Geezer wasn't that young) made PilotNation a fun and great read...can we go back to those days?

Sure, Rev's gone, but beer should still dominate the conversation. What happened to all the young contributors to PN from yesteryear...are they all married with jobs they have to go to?  Rolling Eyes  

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 3 Pliny_11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8076
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:By the way, Stephen Colbert did a hilarious piece about a dirt cheap beer that Wallmart has begun to sell: $3 per six pack.  It sounds like the worst stuff on earth.  If anyone finds a youtube clip, please post...
Sorry, just 102 months late with this:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8076
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by FloridaPilot on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:47 am

One of the benefits of having lived in Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida is that I get to see and try all of these amazing craft breweries and distilleries. I sure do miss the beer scene in Portland, but here are a few of my favorites from each place:

Georgia: Creature Comforts Athena Berliner-Weisse
South Carolina: Steel Hands Brewing Coconut Porter
Florida: Swan Brewing Jess' Favorite Peanut Butter Porter (plus like 50 other beers they have) and Siesta Key Spiced Rum.

FloridaPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 640
Location : Sunshine State
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by SoCal_Pilot on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:52 am

I too miss the Portland beer seen although I only got to truly experience it for two of my four years haha
If any of you happen to be in the Northern LA area I would highly recommend MadeWest Brewing Company in Ventura or Topa Topa Brewing Company. In all honesty I'm still in dire need of exploring the greater LA beer scene though!

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Age : 23
Location : Northern Los Angeles
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by StudentPilot on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 pm

I love craft beer!

I left UP after my sophomore year to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria, but I’ve stayed in Puerto Rico, where the drinking age is 18, for several reasons...and it turns out one of those reason is beer.

Craft brewing was devasted by the hurricane due to a lack of water and electricity on the island and because needed supplies were stranded at ports due to a lack of island transportation...but now craft beer is Puerto Rico is booming!

My favorite place to drink and eat is the Beer Box in Aguadilla…about a 2-hour drive west of San Juan…where they regularly offer 15 different draft beers, including quite a few from their Boxlab Brewery.  

My favorite so far, Semifusa IPA, tasty, but at 4.7% ABV it may not offer some what they are looking for.  drunken

https://untappd.com/v/the-beer-box/176768
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 am

Good craft beers are popping up everywhere. Argentina hasn’t been exactly known as  hop lovers heaven. I struggle with the near universal Pilsners they are fond of.
But I got a surprise last trip in San Carlos de Bariloche, the Swiss styled resort town plastered against the Andes and known for its skiing, climbing, chocolate, and Nazi retirees.

I stopped into Bachman’s , one of the local brewpubs and tasted a yummy IPA (eepah, to the locals) and asked about the hops. A few dozen miles South of Bariloche is El Bolsón, the hop region that even grows an Argentinian Cascade hops, among others.

The brewmaster  answered that he gets his Cascade and Centennial hops from the Yakima  Valley and Hillsboro Oregon. No wonder it had the familiar hoppiness I crave.

I thought of AFan when I stopped in at the Blest satellite pub in the little Welsh town of Esquel, Argentina to check out their offerings. They are sort of the Mcmennamin’s of Chubut province.

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 3 1dfd7a10
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10892
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by StudentPilot on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am

Geezaldinho wrote:The brewmaster  answered that he gets his Cascade and Centennial hops from the Yakima  Valley and Hillsboro Oregon. No wonder it had the familiar hoppiness I crave.
I'm somewhat surprised the area in Argentina you describe does not have hops as it would seem it's far enough from the equator for long days in the summer and cool days in the winter.

I'm told by one of my local brew masters that Puerto Rico is a VERY difficult region to grow hops because it rarely gets cold enough during growing, and that virtually all the hops are imported from the Pacific Northwest, including Idaho...
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by blacksheep on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 pm

[quote="StudentPilot"]
Geezaldinho wrote:

I'm told by one of my local brew masters that Puerto Rico is a VERY difficult region to grow hops because it rarely gets cold enough during growing, and that virtually all the hops are imported from the Pacific Northwest, including Idaho...

I got a tour of a hop processing facility during harvest in Yakima a few years ago. It is impressive the amount of hops that go through this one facility. The Yakima Valley produces around 75% of the US hops. The farm that I got a tour of is still continuing to take out apple trees and plant more hops. The main purpose of my trip was to fill the bed of my truck with apples to make a around 30 gallons of hard cider, so I hope they don't take all the apple trees out. Cheers!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1140
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by SoCal_Pilot on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:06 pm

blacksheep wrote:
StudentPilot wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:

I'm told by one of my local brew masters that Puerto Rico is a VERY difficult region to grow hops because it rarely gets cold enough during growing, and that virtually all the hops are imported from the Pacific Northwest, including Idaho...

I got a tour of a hop processing facility during harvest in Yakima a few years ago.  It is impressive the amount of hops that go through this one facility.  The Yakima Valley produces around 75% of the US hops.  The farm that I got a tour of is still continuing to take out apple trees and plant more hops.  The main purpose of my trip was to fill the bed of my truck with apples to make a around 30 gallons of hard cider, so I hope they don't take all the apple trees out.  Cheers!  


I was a hard cider skeptic at first, in part probably due to my Southern California roots where the cider is subpar at best. But I have to admit that it grew on me a ton while I was in Portland to the point where now I actually miss it

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Age : 23
Location : Northern Los Angeles
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 am

SoCal_Pilot wrote:
I was a hard cider skeptic at first, in part probably due to my Southern California roots where the cider is subpar at best. But I have to admit that it grew on me a ton while I was in Portland to the point where now I actually miss it

I  went to school In apple country in Pennsylvania. The growers there let you pickup all the “drops” you wanted for free and would press them for $5 a barrel. It cut down on the deer invasion.

That cider fortified with five pounds of sugar fueled many  a tipsy  weekend. I’ll bet that same barrel is still being passed down to younger students.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10892
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am

StudentPilot wrote:I'm somewhat surprised the area in Argentina you describe does not have hops as it would seem it's far enough from the equator for long days in the summer and cool days in the winter.

Reading comprehension.

I did mention El Bolsón, which is the center of argentina’s Hop country and that they grow Cascade hops.

The Bachman brewmaster preferred the US product.

https://www.welcomeargentina.com/bariloche/beer-in-bariloche.html

https://www.patagonia.com.ar/El+Bolsón/431E_Hops+National+Festival.html

El Bolsón is one of Argentina’s centers for the hippy culture.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10892
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by blacksheep on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

I  went to school In apple country in Pennsylvania. The growers there let you pickup all the “drops” you wanted for free and would press them for $5 a barrel. It cut down on the deer invasion.

It's amazing the amount of apples left on the trees after they are commercially picked. If the apples weren't the right size, shape, or color, they weren't picked. None of that matters for cider, so we filled up the bed of my pickup with apples for free.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1140
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 3 2f9d5b10

They used to make the pickers pick the trees clean. They didn’t bag the bad ones.

And what we didn’t pick up was cleared by a guy in what looked like one of those golf ball retrievers on a driving range.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10892
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum