Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

+17
Rochin54
MJGoGaels
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
pilot_fan
mattywizz
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
Woodless!
MesaPilot1
onetouchfutbol
blacksheep
IBleedPurple&White
jake
PilotDrummer
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 2 Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Best student cheer.

"you need Patti" , with him sitting court side.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 2 Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Best student cheer.

"you need Patti" , with him sitting court side.
I also liked "you got lucky" when Mitchell Young (48% on year) made a FT.

However, I never like the "over-rated" cheer. It cheapens your team's effort at beating a good team.

Back to top Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 2 Empty Congrats

Post by MJGoGaels Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Pilots performed to perfection. No excuses from the Gaels, you whipped us straight up. Clutch shooting raining 3's. Gaels haven't swept the PNW since 1989 - looks like we'll have to try again next year. See you late in February in our two car garage aka McKeon Pavilion. Now, can you repete that one next week against the next foe?
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Seattle?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Watching the game again (I love DVR). The second half start was fabulous. McConnell got the Gael's first 2 points after 5-1/2 minutes. The next Gaels score wasn't until there were 11 minutes to go, and the Pilots had made a 27-2 run. Can anyone think of a better nine minute stretch in UP BB history? cheers

BTW, did anyone else notice the weird ESPN logo thingy about 1:25 into the game? Kind of a theater face mask, with a cap on top with the Portland 'P', and a biplane coming out behind it. Oops. Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 pm

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2011/1/29/MBB_0129115927.aspx?path=mbball

So, if Timmy D. gets Player of the Week Honors again, is he the first Pilot freshman ever to get WCC POW twice? I'm guessing that he is...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Pilots Knock off No. 24 Saint Mary’s, 85-70

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The University of Portland Pilots improved to 12-0 at the Chiles Center with a convincing 85-70 victory over the No. 24-ranked Saint Mary’s Gaels Saturday before 3,833 rowdy fans. Freshman point guard Tim Douglas erupted for 26 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Pilots (16-6, 4-3) who led by as much as 27 points and dealt the Gaels (18-4, 6-1) their first loss in West Coast Conference play.

Senior guard Jared Stohl finished with 21 points and five rebounds, while junior wing Nemanja Mitrovic added 13 points for the Pilots. The 26 points by Douglas were one off of his career-high set earlier this season against Portland State.

Saint Mary’s senior guard Mickey McConnell led all scorers with 32 points, while Rob Jones added 11.

It marked the third consecutive Portland win over Saint Mary’s at the Chiles Center, two of which came when the Gaels were nationally ranked.

The Pilots came out of halftime with a two-point lead and energized the crowd with a 16-0 run over the first five minutes to create separation. Stohl and Mitrovic hit consecutive three-pointers and then Douglas added eight straight points on a layup and two three-pointers. Stohl capped the rally with a baseline jumper to give the Pilots a 49-31 lead before McConnell temporary stopped the onslaught with a jumper at the 14:27 mark.

Portland would use another big surge capped by a Kramer Knutson one-handed putback dunk to take the largest lead of the game at 60-33 with 11:23 remaining. Saint Mary’s would cut the deficit to nine at 74-65 with 1:38 left, but the Pilots made free throws down the stretch for the final margin.

Saint Mary’s entered the game as one of three teams nationally shooting above 50 percent, but was held to 39 percent shooting for the game. The Gaels also converted just 10-of-31 three-pointers. Portland finished at 48 percent from the field and 13-for-20 from beyond the arc. The Pilots also gained a 41-35 rebounding advantage.

Portland trailed by seven early in the first half before back-to-back three-pointers by Mitrovic and Douglas gave the home team a 28-20 lead. Jones and McConnell closed the half with two threes to cut the margin to 33-31 at the break.

The Pilots will begin the second half of WCC play by hosting the Gonzaga Bulldogs on Thursday at 8 p.m. The game is sold out, but will be televised nationally on ESPN2. The Pilots and Bulldogs are currently tied in the league standings at 4-3.

Newspaper Box Score
Saint Mary's vs Portland
01/29/11 4:00 PM at Portland, Ore. {Chiles Center}
At Portland, Ore. {Chiles Center}
PORTLAND 85, SAINT MARY'S 70

SAINT MARY'S (18-4, 6-1 WCC)
McCONNELL, Mickey 11-21 5-6 32; JONES, Rob 3-13 3-4 11; WALKER II, Kenton
4-5 0-0 8; DELLAVEDOVA, Matthew 2-9 0-0 5; HOLT, Stephen 2-4 0-1 5; YOUNG,
Mitchell 1-5 2-4 4; STEINDL, Clint 1-4 0-0 3; WILLIAMS, Tim 1-3 0-0 2;
BENSON, Phil 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 25-64 10-15 70.

PORTLAND (16-6, 4-3 WCC)
DOUGLAS, Tim 10-16 2-2 26; STOHL, Jared 6-12 4-4 21; MITROVIC, Nemanja 4-10
2-2 13; HANNIBAL, Jasonn 3-7 0-0 6; KNUTSON, Kramer 2-6 2-5 6; WATERFORD,
Eric 2-4 0-0 4; BARKER, Riley 2-2 0-0 4; RILEY, Tanner 1-3 0-0 3; SIKMA,
Luke 0-3 2-2 2; RODGERS, Derrick 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 30-63 12-15 85.

Saint Mary's.................. 31 39 - 70
Portland...................... 33 52 - 85

3-point goals--Saint Mary's 10-31 (McCONNELL, Mickey 5-9; JONES, Rob 2-9;
HOLT, Stephen 1-3; DELLAVEDOVA, Matthew 1-6; STEINDL, Clint 1-4), Portland
13-20 (STOHL, Jared 5-7; DOUGLAS, Tim 4-4; MITROVIC, Nemanja 3-6; RILEY,
Tanner 1-2; WATERFORD, Eric 0-1). Fouled out--Saint Mary's-None,
Portland-None. Rebounds--Saint Mary's 35 (YOUNG, Mitchell 6; JONES, Rob 6),
Portland 41 (SIKMA, Luke 8 ). Assists--Saint Mary's 12 (DELLAVEDOVA, Matthew
5), Portland 16 (MITROVIC, Nemanja 4; DOUGLAS, Tim 4). Total fouls--Saint
Mary's 18, Portland 15. Technical fouls--Saint Mary's-None, Portland-None.
A-3833

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Mesa--

I just saw Kramer's dunk as the #5 highlight on a Top 10 plays of the day list on SportsCenter. I couldn't find it...though I did find this highlight piece:

http://search.espn.go.com/highlights/videos/6

If we keep looking around on YouTube and the ESPN site, I'm sure it will turn up. Stoney usually finds these clips pretty fast...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm

A great showing by the Pilots tonight, we certainly seemed to heed the wake-up call from our mediocre play of late.

I agree that the 27-2 run to open the half may well be the best 9 minutes of Pilotss basketball in recent years... but we did have several runs in the Anaheim tourney last year, but not that long or that dominating.

Who'd have thunk we would have steam rolled SMC with Luke only scoring 2 free throws?! Thank you Tim Douglas... brilliant game. We have found our starting PG. Waterford played well, too...

Kramer's dunk is well deserving of the ESPN Top 10!

Let's keep it up vs. GU on Thrusday!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:23 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:Mesa--

I just saw Kramer's dunk as the #5 highlight on a Top 10 plays of the day list on SportsCenter. I couldn't find it...though I did find this highlight piece:

Thanks OTF, although we dont always agree in strategy and you have to put up with my distain for Ken P.s" chosen proffesision that he created for himself, one thing we both do ,and Stoney and I also.....We bleed Purple when it comes to College Basketball and u guys soccer too....mine I just got in a "transplant" at the hospital, you guys picked yours up in your time on the Bluff as students..... We are the U of P! You Can Not Stop Us! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

If we keep looking around on YouTube and the ESPN site, I'm sure it will turn up. Stoney usually finds these clips pretty fast...
Bleed Purple....Lets hope the young men dont have a letdown against the Zaggettes,or UP7587 Pull Hair will have no hair left on his next fishing trip after the game and will have to buy a Pilot beanie like the students wear on his next outdoor expedition to fly fish affraid . I doubt it though...the guys are playing their best basketball in spurts...I just hope they can put together a couple of games like this at the WCC championships...u alum and locals are WAY OVERDUE FOR A ROAD TRIP to Bum f#3k east coast and a first round NCAA game... sunny

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 am

Wow - just an awesome game. Kramer was #3 on top plays this morning. That's all I've got to say about that.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 am

How much fun was that. I will admit I was getting a little worried as the game came to the closing minutes. McConnell pretty much took over the last 10 minutes but we did what we needed: prevented the three ball, use up most of the shot clock, and hit some late clutch shots (the Timmy D coast to coast layup, the late Jared 3) that smothered any chance of a comeback.

It's hard to pick a "best part" of the game really. I think the team showed a little toughness after getting behind pretty quickly. That second half run was amazing. Those three consecutive three's by three different people and then Timmy D took over carving their defense. All this while the team was turning up the D. Fantastic night. Some reserves even got some key minutes which was nice. Awesome, Awesome game.

Lets hope that we don't have a let down now this week.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:
onetouchfutbol wrote:Mesa--

Thanks OTF, although we dont always agree in strategy and you have to put up with my distain for Ken P.s" chosen proffesision that he created for himself, one thing we both do ,and Stoney and I also.....We bleed Purple when it comes to College Basketball and u guys soccer too....mine I just got in a "transplant" at the hospital, you guys picked yours up in your time on the Bluff as students..... We are the U of P! You Can Not Stop Us! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

Bleed Purple....Lets hope the young men dont have a letdown against the Zaggettes,or UP7587 Pull Hair will have no hair left on his next fishing trip after the game and will have to buy a Pilot beanie like the students wear on his next outdoor expedition to fly fish affraid . I doubt it though...the guys are playing their best basketball in spurts...I just hope they can put together a couple of games like this at the WCC championships...u alum and locals are WAY OVERDUE FOR A ROAD TRIP to Bum f#3k east coast and a first round NCAA game... sunny

MesaPilot1

I don't forsee any letdown whatsoever against the Zags, Zagettes, Bulldogs, or whatever the bleep you call them. I know people get sick of RPI talk, but, RealTimeRPI did predict our two game slide (USF, SCU) and then predicted a 9 game winning streak. I'm not quite that optimistic. I think that the road game against LMU will be very tough and a possible loss. But, our guys are growing up quickly in front of our eyes! We've got a weapon in Timmy D. that can really light up against the weaker perimeter defenses of the league, and our backcourt of the future looks strong as well. So, a winning streak is quite likely...

If anyone finds the ESPN Top 10 list highlights from last night (it was on tv around 11 pm PST) with Kramer's dunk, please post! Thanks in advance.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 am

Boom:

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 am

What a fantastic game to watch! Stohl and Nem were killing those guys from beyond the arc, what did we have like 14 threes? Amazing, and great work.
The bigs were working their tails off on both ends of the court, and the team chemistry seemed to be clicking on all cylinders. All in all a fantastic effort.
I for one believe that if we play even close to that good of ball Thursday we will hand GU their fourth WCC loss, nothing would make me happier lol.

Great job Pilots, with effort and execution like that I like the way the second half of conference play is going to shake out.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 am

Stonehouse wrote:Boom:

You just made Mesa very happy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Well, I do what I can for our friend from the desert! Smile

Here's a collection of links I have come across about the game:

Photos from the Oregonian (including an AWESOME one of Jasonn):
http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2011/01/university_of_portland_vs_sain_12.html

Oregonian recap from Jim Beseda:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2011/01/portland_85_saint_marys_70_sec.html

Recap from Beyond the Beat's Wendell Maxey (awesome to see this... he's a great basketball writer! Even if he does call Tim Douglas Tim Reynolds.):
http://www.beyondthebeat.net/articles-2011/january/stmarys-gets-upset-as-portland-pilots-push-the-tempo.html

Also, some tidbits from Twitter:

From John Canzano: "yo, @CoachReveno has the best basketball team in the state. It's not even close. And it's not accidental. Great job."

"@w_maxey is teasing some great stuff this week as he covers @CoachReveno I look forward to it."

And Wendell Maxey... it's worth going to his page to read his live tweets. Pretty fun. But most notable is this (and what Canzano was referring to):

"will have a couple feature stories coming this week on tim douglas, coach reveno and jared stohl's plan after college."

http://twitter.com/#!/w_maxey

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Well, I do what I can for our friend from the desert! Smile

Here's a collection of links I have come across about the game:

Photos from the Oregonian (including an AWESOME one of Jasonn):
http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2011/01/university_of_portland_vs_sain_12.html

Oregonian recap from Jim Beseda:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2011/01/portland_85_saint_marys_70_sec.html

Recap from Beyond the Beat's Wendell Maxey (awesome to see this... he's a great basketball writer! Even if he does call Tim Douglas Tim Reynolds.):
http://www.beyondthebeat.net/articles-2011/january/stmarys-gets-upset-as-portland-pilots-push-the-tempo.html

Also, some tidbits from Twitter:

From John Canzano: "yo, @CoachReveno has the best basketball team in the state. It's not even close. And it's not accidental. Great job."

"@w_maxey is teasing some great stuff this week as he covers @CoachReveno I look forward to it."

And Wendell Maxey... it's worth going to his page to read his live tweets. Pretty fun. But most notable is this (and what Canzano was referring to):

"will have a couple feature stories coming this week on tim douglas, coach reveno and jared stohl's plan after college."

http://twitter.com/#!/w_maxey

And yet nothing from http://twitter.com/#!/Patty_Mills

Especially after this article by Maxey:
http://www.beyondthebeat.net/articles-2011/january/some-bragging-rights-at-stake-this-weekend-between-pooh-jeter-and-patty-mills.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Speaking of which, Patty and Rudy...

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 2 9233912-standard
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 pm

How awesome was it to have TJ participate in the time out dunk routine?! Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Here are more video highlights... can't help but be amazed by how well Tim played!

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm

PilotNut wrote:How awesome was it to have TJ participate in the time out dunk routine?! Cool

So, so, so awesome! And it was great to see all those former players back, including my namesake - the one and only Kyle Stonehouse!

I hope the video they put together honoring the 95-96 team gets posted up on YouTube - I'm sure it will.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Seeing all the old players brings back memories. I was there when Kasey Flicker hit that three!

Nem and Jasonn could be a great comedic duo. Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:Boom:

You just made Mesa very happy.

Thanks, Stoney

There has been a ? raised to me recently by one of the alums there at UP that I should not be commenting on UP and or its Basketball Team...I will let DTR, Pilotnut, RobsJacket decide this .....I want to put this wavier in here but believe that most of YOU guys already know this...I MesaPilot1 am not affiliatied in anyway with the University of Porland, Kramer Knutson,The Knutson Family when I post on this board, he is a distant blood relative by berth...I have posted on this board it as a fan of Eric Reveno head men basketball coach at the University of Portland and the basketball team...never having once pressing for more playing time for he or "get him the ball" dont throw it to Sikma....since the inception of this board I have never, ever provided inside information on the Pilots at real time except on the Chatroom when I have let the "cat out of the bag"....Apparently the NAZI type approach of a certain overjealous alum has been PM'ed to me recentlyand he believes I should change or leave...If you guys want me to be somebody I am not and post ...bland manterial...basically change my posting style....I will do that...but in return....I want to be awarded the title of "we used to let the guy say what he thought" under my Avatar....Thanks for reading...sorry to hijack the thread....

MesaPilot1 bounce bounce bounce

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Here are more video highlights... can't help but be amazed by how well Tim played!

I have another nickname for you Stoney...dont take it too seriously or the wrong way...but Timmy is "Little" Pooh version 2010-2014...lol

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next