Make Your Choice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who Wins the Super Bowl

47% 47% 
[ 7 ]
53% 53% 
[ 8 ]
 
Total Votes : 15

Make Your Choice

Post by up7587 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 am

The Super Bowl is set, and the Packers and Steelers meet in Jerry's palace in Dallas. Two well known teams, no upstarts here. Vote for your choice to win.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3514
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by up7587 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 am

I was going to vote Steelers. But the Steelers won before when the refs jobbed the Seahawks. So figuring karma in, the calls will probably favor the Packers this time, and I voted for them.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3514
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by pilotram on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:40 am

Refs are still on the Steelers side (Steelers' sides? Grammar?). At least the powers that be got the matchup they wanted. No way they wanted Bears-Jets. They want a classic sell.

pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1110
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

pilotram wrote:Refs are still on the Steelers side (Steelers' sides? Grammar?). At least the powers that be got the matchup they wanted. No way they wanted Bears-Jets. They want a classic sell.

Although it looks plural, Steelers is a trademarked singular entity, so unless they have more than one side, it's not sides, despite what the Brits think about team being plural.
I suppose you could be thinking of offensive and defensive sides, but that's another thing and would imply different treatment for each.

Even if the trademarked name didn't include the "s", you could also think of Steelers as the genetive instrumental case of Steeler. Just as we now Think of days as plural ("he works days and nights"), it's actually the old english genitive instumental construct of day, not necessarily plural. Think of it as "at time belonging to day" and "at time belonging to night". Presumably there is a break between shifts

We also think of United States as singular, but that wasn't always so.


The important possession it of the refs, not the side, so the enclitic "on" phrasing takes the place of the Steeler apostrope.

Let's not even get into the thought about whether the refs are actually owned by the team.... The last book by a basketball ref on that subject sucked.


And a classic matchup would be Jets-Colts. I was at the first one.

Class dismissed.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by Rochin54 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm

More karma - Brett Favre's last year in the league and his old team wins the Super Bowl with his heir?

I voted Packers.

Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 668
Location : Suburbia
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by pilotram on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

"Brett who?" - Packers fans circa 2011

pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1110
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by DaTruRochin on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Where's my option for Bud Light? They always dominate the Bud Bowl.

DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Location : Boston, MA
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by pilotram on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
pilotram wrote:Refs are still on the Steelers side (Steelers' sides? Grammar?). At least the powers that be got the matchup they wanted. No way they wanted Bears-Jets. They want a classic sell.

Although it looks plural, Steelers is a trademarked singular entity, so unless they have more than one side, it's not sides, despite what the Brits think about team being plural.
I suppose you could be thinking of offensive and defensive sides, but that's another thing and would imply different treatment for each.

Even if the trademarked name didn't include the "s", you could also think of Steelers as the genetive instrumental case of Steeler. Just as we now Think of days as plural ("he works days and nights"), it's actually the old english genitive instumental construct of day, not necessarily plural. Think of it as "at time belonging to day" and "at time belonging to night". Presumably there is a break between shifts

We also think of United States as singular, but that wasn't always so.


The important possession it of the refs, not the side, so the enclitic "on" phrasing takes the place of the Steeler apostrope.

Let's not even get into the thought about whether the refs are actually owned by the team.... The last book by a basketball ref on that subject sucked.


And a classic matchup would be Jets-Colts. I was at the first one.

Class dismissed.
Dang, where'd you get educated, UP or somethin'?

pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1110
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by onetouchfutbol on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

up7587 wrote:I was going to vote Steelers. But the Steelers won before when the refs jobbed the Seahawks. So figuring karma in, the calls will probably favor the Packers this time, and I voted for them.

Amen. Go karma! I hope that ref who finally came out and apologized to us Hawks fans in the past year officiates the game. At least it's being played in a place further from Pittsburgh than Detroit...

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by MesaPilot1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 pm

PITTSBURGH STEELERS ALL THE WAY!!!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 am

pilotram wrote:
Dang, where'd you get educated, UP or somethin'?

Nah, I'm not sure they would put up with that. You did ask, though. Very Happy

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by MesaPilot1 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
pilotram wrote:
Dang, where'd you get educated, UP or somethin'?

Nah, I'm not sure they would put up with that. You did ask, though. Very Happy
try google & spell check, lol, lol, lol, he's likedouble kk's grandpa addicted to his ipad..... Very Happy Shocked Sleep Couch Potato Bad PC

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by onetouchfutbol on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:PITTSBURGH STEELERS ALL THE WAY!!!

Pittsburgh has the wounded center but all of the experience. GB has the problem of riding their emotions since their guys have very little experience... It should be a close game.

Good luck to the Steelers on getting their second Superbowl in the past few years! (as the one against Seattle has a few ***s next to it now that the ref admitted that he botched the game in the past year). Hahahahahaha. Go Packers.

-----------------------------------

Referee confessional box: http://seahawknationblog.com/2010/08/hey-stealers-refs-get-it-right-even-long-after-the-fact/

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by mattywizz on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm waiting till the Pro-Bowl is over to reserve judgement.

mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Age : 34
Location : La Crosse, WI
Registration date : 2007-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by onetouchfutbol on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Say goodbye, Steelers fans. Go Packers! Up 21-10 at this point...

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by up7587 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm

And there's the karma - 3 Steeler turnovers.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3514
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by onetouchfutbol on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 pm

up7587 wrote:And there's the karma - 3 Steeler turnovers.

Amen! Good to see Roethlisburger and company go down. Somebody please remind him to wear his motorcycle helmet as he drives home! Hahaha...

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by Rochin54 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 am

How about screwing up the national anthem!!!??? Just terrible.

Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 668
Location : Suburbia
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by up7587 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

As soon as I heard the mistake, I switched to another channel. And at halftime, when it was obvious the sound system was not right, I switched again.

On the other hand, the singer did a nice job with America the Beautiful, if a little but overwrought.

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3514
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Rochin54 wrote:How about screwing up the national anthem!!!??? Just terrible.
You mean screwing up the lip syncing, or the track she was lip syncing to? I wasn't paying that much attention because nobody who's famous enough to sing the anthem before a Super Bowl is going to do it very well.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by DaTruRochin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Maybe next year they bring in the merlo crowd, they usually do a pretty good job whenever the sound system cuts out (every other game)...

DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Location : Boston, MA
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by PilotNut on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Maybe next year they bring in the merlo crowd, they usually do a pretty good job whenever the sound system cuts out (every other game)...

Complete with the Pokie tossing?

And seriously, let's get a wired mic for the field...

_________________
Run 'Em Aground Pilots!

PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3914
Age : 43
Location : The 503
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

wait a minute...

one guy voted for the Steelers after the game.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10316
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by mattywizz on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Make that two Geezer. I actually did not notice Christina's mistake when watching it live. I kind of tuned her out when I realized she was doing terrible, which was very quickly. When I got him I had to check the recording to see (hear) it. It was even worse the second time around. I would put her performance below Carl Lewis AND Roseanne.

It is truly amazing how many Packer fans have popped out of the woodwork the last few weeks.


mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Age : 34
Location : La Crosse, WI
Registration date : 2007-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Make Your Choice

Post by DaTruRochin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

mattywizz wrote:It is truly amazing how many Packer fans have popped out of the woodwork the last few weeks.

I've decided that Packers fans are pretty much the NFL equivalent of Red Sox Nation...

DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Location : Boston, MA
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum