Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

@ Portland State Dec 18

+9
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
Stonehouse
martymoose
MesaPilot1
Rob's Jacket
ShipstadPilot11
onetouchfutbol
DTLegend
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

@ Portland State Dec 18 Empty @ Portland State Dec 18

Post by DTLegend Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:17 pm

So the Denver game is over and we are now 8-3 heading into our annual contest against Portland State next Saturday. Now this is the fifth year I've been a Pilot fan (since I was a freshman) and we have yet to be the cross town rival. That is very concerning to me. Currently PSU is 5-2 with losses at Oregon and SMU and two of those wins coming against Seattle and GFX. i'm not sure who GFX is. PSU has games against Cal State Fullerton and at Cal State Bakersfield before our meeting. They are a high scoring team so it should be fun.

Just a side note, Finals week for us so lets hope the team can have a very productive week in the classroom and on the court at practice.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

@ Portland State Dec 18 Empty Re: @ Portland State Dec 18

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:33 pm

GFX = George Fox. According to their web site, it was their first game against a D1 opponent in 33 years. They compete in Division 3, so not much of a challenge for the Vikings.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:55 pm

I'll be interested to see how our guys handle having 7 days off before playing again. Is this Finals week at UP? PSU has two more games before they play us... As far as talent goes, PSU just seems to stay pretty strong by getting some good transfer students from Pac-10 schools and some JC students too. I don't recognize many players on their roster anymore other than Phil Nelson. They narrowly beat Pepperdine this season by 2.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 am

I think that Rev and the Seniors are hungry to FINALLY beat PSU. I expect us to come out with a vengeance.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 am

up7587 wrote:GFX = George Fox. According to their web site, it was their first game against a D1 opponent in 33 years. They compete in Division 3, so not much of a challenge for the Vikings.

Careful there, a certain Willamette University only lost by 7 to the Vikings last year ...

Now, Fox did beat Willamette last week, but that's beside the point.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 am

Oh, your so cautious RJ, YOUR starting to sound as cautious as "prove it on the court" Mesa pilot 1....after the last two years of collapses at CBI TOURNEY time..just saying...we had more talent than both those teams plus Rev & staffs excellent coaching abilities then look what happened..... cheers Shocked Suspect Sad

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:49 pm

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

I just noticed that PSU's Tyler Geving is on the Mid Major Top 25 voting panel. It would be nice to make a lasting impression in the next game. Evil or Very Mad
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:11 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

I just noticed that PSU's Tyler Geving is on the Mid Major Top 25 voting panel. It would be nice to make a lasting impression in the next game. Evil or Very Mad

Yeah,, it would be nice to make a double lasting impression on coach Kerry Keating at Santa Clara from that list too,& split with Bennett and ST MARY's....he's on that list too....

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:56 am

Phil Nelson is not playing (injured?). Looks like most scoring comes from their guards.

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:47 pm

up7587 wrote:Phil Nelson is not playing (injured?).

Yep. Stress fracture in his foot. Out at least until conference plays begins.
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Didn't know Nelson was out. That's a big blow for the Vikings.

I think it's high time we get this darn PSU monkey off our backs. Last year's game was so maddening... we get to the Top 25, and then we lose at home to PSU... frustrating to say the least. But remember, it took the Vikings breaking the Chiles Center record for three-pointers for that to happen.

I do believe that UP *should* win this game, but - of course - I've felt that way the past 4-5 seasons, with less than pleasant results.

For whatever reason, though, this year's team seems to be better equipped to handle the stresses of playing on the road - picking up a win in Montana was impressive, they took care of business no problem in Idaho, and managed to play through some struggles and win down the stretch against Denver.

I'm sure everyone on the team would love to pay back the Vikings for last year, and you know Reveno must be hungry to finally beat darn Portland State.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Didn't know Nelson was out. That's a big blow for the Vikings.

I think it's high time we get this darn PSU monkey off our backs. Last year's game was so maddening... we get to the Top 25, and then we lose at home to PSU... frustrating to say the least. But remember, it took the Vikings breaking the Chiles Center record for three-pointers for that to happen.

I do believe that UP *should* win this game, but - of course - I've felt that way the past 4-5 seasons, with less than pleasant results.

For whatever reason, though, this year's team seems to be better equipped to handle the stresses of playing on the road - picking up a win in Montana was impressive, they took care of business no problem in Idaho, and managed to play through some struggles and win down the stretch against Denver.

I'm sure everyone on the team would love to pay back the Vikings for last year, and you know Reveno must be hungry to finally beat darn Portland State.

Yeah, Nelson was hurt in practice before the Pepperdine game, so he's only played in our exhibition game. Coleman has also missed our last five games, so we've only suited eight guys. Coleman was doubtful for the game yesterday, so he may be back for the game on the 18th.
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

martymoose wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:Didn't know Nelson was out. That's a big blow for the Vikings.

Yeah, Nelson was hurt in practice before the Pepperdine game, so he's only played in our exhibition game. Coleman has also missed our last five games, so we've only suited eight guys. Coleman was doubtful for the game yesterday, so he may be back for the game on the 18th.
If you've only been using 8 you've been doing really well then.

What interests me is how the Pilots defend an offense that likes to play at a fast pace. Washington was one example but I don't know how much you want to read into that one. Portland is fairly efficient with its possessions and opponents have been able to score on PSU this year.

I'm excited for this game and I just wish there was some attention paid to it besides here and the PSU board. But you know how it goes with midmajors.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 pm

martymoose wrote:

Uh-oh..

Marty is sandbagging us. I just checked the Vegas line and they know Rev has never beaten the Viks.

The line is 2:1 PSU wins. Neutral
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:19 am

PSU lost @ CSU-Bakersfield tonight, 92-77... it looks like the Viks only played 8 players, with a 9th geting 3 minutes.

Box Score

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/12/pilots_up_looks_to_end_losing.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/12/pilots_up_looks_to_end_losing.html
From the article:
"Portland State has always proven to be tough for us," he said. "Their athleticism and their aggressiveness has been challenging for us defensively. They've had some god offensive teams, and for whatever reason, we've had a tough time slowing them down."
Well, no wonder we can't beat them! And I thought we were the Catholic school!
We are the U of P!

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/12/pilots_up_looks_to_end_losing.html

From Geving:
If you're a basketball fan and you're in Portland, why wouldn't you come to this game?" he asked. "It's Division I basketball, two great teams, good atmosphere, good players on both sides of the court and really just a fun game to watch. ... Come out and see what Portland and Portland State both have to offer, because I think people will find out it's good basketball.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:12 am

Nice...we outscored them 52-28 in the points in the paint stat. Very Happy

78-67 UP wins! T. Douglas--27 points. Sikma--16 points before fouling out. Knutson actually led the team in rebounds with 8. D. Rodgers' 12 points was also a season high.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:30 am

two words:

TimDouglas and Embarrassed'm

Wow! What a performance. Most of theose points were driving the lane in amongst the trees.

At the end of the game, they started pressing, and we did a pretty good job with three freshmen in there breaking it and getting points

Rogers also had a great night. he drove the lane well and again played outstanding defense. he frustrated the guys he was guarding. Barker will be very good when he gets a year in the weight room. The big redhead is the real deal.

Rev funally has the PSU monkey off his back. Nice job.

and a pretty good UP contingent, too. We were louder. (OK, we had more to cheer about)

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:39 am

Timmy! Derrick got in on the action too. Overall a good night for the young guards.

An hour before the game I scored a seat in the front row behind the Pilots bench. Being down there it opened my eyes how good the Pilots' post defense is. Here's another shout to Kramer, who is able to stand his ground and keep them from getting off easy shots.

I also got to hear some of Rev's coaching, which was interesting. Nem got called for a charge and when he sat down Rev calmed him down by telling him, "You beat the guy. He was screwed so the only thing he could do was fall down and get the call."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 am

Cheers! A nice victory to finally get the Viking off the back.

Just like the St. Louis game, dominating the inside and not needing the 3.

Great veteran leadership and bench scoring continue to inspire hope for this season.

Nice to hear Coach Wolf say in the post-game interview the seniors were celebrating like they won the WCC title. Yahoo! It's not the same, but a career sweep would have been a black mark for this class and Reveno in the first five years. Awesome insight about the Nem charge, PPT.

Now the guys get a little time to enjoy the victory before Boise State.
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 am

http://www.newsday.com/sports/portland-tops-portland-state-78-67-1.2552796

A brief game summary...

I'm sure it was Tim Douglas' best game since his high school days...bringing back these kinds of memories...captured on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vTn9KFbe4
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 am

I would say we got points in the paint because we couldn't get them from outside. 3 of 16 from the behind the three line, including 0 for 6 for Jared. Ouch. It was great to see the team adjust, and the youngsters step up in scoring when a couple starters struggled. Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:34 am

Ugh. Well, ugh for me. :-P

Nice defense by your guys tonight. It was pretty clear that we were aiming to shut down your three ball shooting tonight, and paid the price with the interior penetration. Douglas was shooting fish in a barrel.

The typical classy UP people showed up tonight. Our season tickets are behind the opposing bench, so we always sit amongst the supporters of the opposition. Good people around us tonight. Much better than most of the programs that we play.

Good luck with the rest of the season. :-)
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next