Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WCC, UP, and the tournament?

2 posters

Go down

The WCC, UP, and the tournament? Empty The WCC, UP, and the tournament?

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 pm

So, this year was a really poor showing for the WCC and the tournament. Santa Clara made it and went down early in the first round (which was predictable since their RPI wasn't much higher than Portland's and we beat them at the end of the season). What needs to happen for WCC teams to improve next year?

Is it recruiting better talent? Coaching? The systems that the teams use? I know that some teams like UP have great players leave for MLS or international play at times, however, teams toward the top of the heap like Akron face the same challenges and circumstances that we do...

I saw very few games this year, and I'd be curious to hear your opinions. My general opinion of US soccer at the collegiate level is the same as I feel about it at the national level; I think players run too much and are very physical...but not technical enough.

What do you think?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

The WCC, UP, and the tournament? Empty Re: The WCC, UP, and the tournament?

Post by VillaGorilla Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:I saw very few games this year, and I'd be curious to hear your opinions. My general opinion of US soccer at the collegiate level is the same as I feel about it at the national level; I think players run too much and are very physical...but not technical enough.

What do you think?

That's pretty much what I see, although I am by no means as knowledgeable and sophisticated a soccer fan as some on here.

As far as the WCC struggling this past season, I wouldn't sweat it. When UP got an at large bid a few years ago, they got it as the 4th place team in the 7 program WCC. We've traditionally had a very good conference RPI and I see this year as an aberration. Normally only four losses should put us in (we had five going in last year), but the conference schedule wasn't enough to lift us as much as it usually is.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

The WCC, UP, and the tournament? Empty Re: The WCC, UP, and the tournament?

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I expect the conference RPI to go back up next year as well...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down