Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jared gets WCC POW

5 posters

Go down

Jared gets WCC POW Empty Jared gets WCC POW

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Jared did good this week

Men's Basketball Player of the Week
Jared Stohl, Portland, SR, G
Jared Stohl averaged 23.5 points in Portland's two games last week, an 84-68 loss to Washington State and a 75-63 victory over UC Santa Barbara. Stohl made 5-of-12 three-pointers en route to a team-high 21 points versus WSU. He also grabbed three rebounds and made all four of his free throw attempts. In the win over the Gauchos, Stohl erupted for a game-high 26 points, including 6-of-9 from three-point range and 8-of-9 from the free throw line. He went a combined 12-for-23 from the field (.522), 11-for-21 from three-point range (.524), and 12-of-13 at the foul line (.923). Stohl, already Portland's career leader in three-pointers made, also moved into fifth place in the WCC record books with 273 career threes. He leads the nation in three-pointers made with 28 on the season.

http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/112910aab.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Jared gets WCC POW Empty Re: Jared gets WCC POW

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 am

It's a slow Monday, so I may as well go ahead and throw this out there: Is Jared the best three point shooter in WCC history?

As of right now, Stohl is leading the country in three pointers made and, last I checked, is tops in percentage among those who qualify. No player has ever led the country two consecutive years. Stohl also finished 3rd in this category as a sophomore.

Currently, Stohl has 273 three pointers made. He will soon move into second place all time (currently held by Blake Stepp at 288) and he has a chance at reaching Jeff Fryer's mark of 363. If Stohl maintains his average of 4 a game, he will hit 365 (and that doesn't include WCC tournament or any other post-season games that may come this year).

In terms of three pointers made in WCC play, Stohl seems to be a sure bet to pass Fryer's mark of 166. Stohl is at 128 currently and needs to average 2.7 a game to break Fryer's WCC-only record.

So... considering Fryer played in a crazy run-and-gun style that allowed him a ton of attempts and that he shot a respectable, but not blistering, 40% on threes... do you think it's fair to say that Jared Stohl is the best three point shooter in the history of the WCC?

Here are Jared's career three point numbers:

2007-08: 58-141 (.411)
2008-09: 89-195 (.456) - #3 in country
2009-10: 98-205 (.478) - #1 in country
2010-11: 28-54 (.519)
Career: 273-595 (.459)

He has led the WCC in three pointers made the last two years, and was second three years ago as a freshman.

If he were to continue on at his current pace, he would finish with these career numbers:

365-772 (.473)

That would make him #1 all-time in the WCC in three pointers made, and would place him in the top 20 all-time in the NCAA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_3-point_scoring_leaders

Most impresive, though, is that his .473 average would place him atop that list, meaning that among the all-time Top 25 shooters in three pointers made, Jared is the most accurate.

Not bad.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Wow... and considering he's about 300 attempts shy of gost of the guys on that list, wow! And Gerry McNamara, perhaps you should've passed the ball a bit more when shooting 35.4%...

BTW, Stephen Curry with 1K attempts in 3 seasons is flat out impressive, especially considering the defensive attention he got his Jr year...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Stonehouse wrote:It's a slow Monday

It's actually Tuesday, and there is a game today. I sure hope you don't miss it because you thought it was the wrong day. Very Happy

From a pure shooter standpoint, I would put Jared up there with pretty much anyone. It's amazing to watch. He seems like he's halfway through his shot before he gets the ball. Defenders are all over him, yet his percentage doesn't go down (obviously Kentucky was the exception).

I know he misses as many as he makes, but I still expect every shot to go in. I feel bad sometimes for the unreasonable expectations put on him to make every shot, but it doesn't seem to affect him.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:42 pm

blacksheep wrote:I feel bad sometimes for the unreasonable expectations put on him to make every shot, but it doesn't seem to affect him.

I think Jared has the same expectation of himself! So it's not like we're putting any additional pressure on him, unless we expect him to make shots he doesn't take...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
As of right now, Stohl is leading the country in three pointers made and, last I checked, is tops in percentage among those who qualify. No player has ever led the country two consecutive years. Stohl also finished 3rd in this category as a sophomore.

Currently, Stohl has 273 three pointers made. He will soon move into second place all time (currently held by Blake Stepp at 288) and he has a chance at reaching Jeff Fryer's mark of 363. If Stohl maintains his average of 4 a game, he will hit 365 (and that doesn't include WCC tournament or any other post-season games that may come this year).

In terms of three pointers made in WCC play, Stohl seems to be a sure bet to pass Fryer's mark of 166. Stohl is at 128 currently and needs to average 2.7 a game to break Fryer's WCC-only record.

So... considering Fryer played in a crazy run-and-gun style that allowed him a ton of attempts and that he shot a respectable, but not blistering, 40% on threes... do you think it's fair to say that Jared Stohl is the best three point shooter in the history of the WCC?

Fryer shot from an arc set at 19'9" (still the women's distance). Jared is shooting from the current NCAA men's line (20'9"), which is is a foot further out.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down