Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So....Gamesmanship in College Football?

5 posters

Go down

So....Gamesmanship in College Football? Empty So....Gamesmanship in College Football?

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 am

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/11/oregon_football_fake_injuries_1.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/16021/fake-injuries-vs-oregon-little-can-be-done

There aren't any rules against it, and it DID work, personally I think it is hilarious. The thing is, how do you stop it? Players can tear an ACL with nobody touching them or get a concussion on any play (A violent hit really isn't required.) I guess you can punish coaches or make players sit out games, but actually determining what is an "injury" and what isn't seems pretty damn difficult to sort out.

(As if I needed more justification as to finding watching an entire football game boring as hell: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

So....Gamesmanship in College Football? Empty Re: So....Gamesmanship in College Football?

Post by blacksheep Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 am

I was at the Stanford Oregon game and thought it was pretty disgusting to see the Autzen crowd Boo an injured player. Then when the injured player came back into the game 1 play later, I didn't feel so bad.

If you have to fake injuries to slow down the Oregon offense, you aren't going to win, so it doesn't bother me so much. I wouldn't say that it worked. Cal just played great defense.

I would like to see the boo birds wait to come out until an allegedly injured player comes back onto the field. Someday someone will actually be injured and it's not cool to boo them.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

So....Gamesmanship in College Football? Empty Re: So....Gamesmanship in College Football?

Post by pilotram Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am

Is it worth it? That's what a coach has to ask. The injured player has to come out for a play. I supposed you could premeditate this, send in a second stringer with instructions to flop and replace him with a starter the next play. Either way you'll have at least one play with a lineup not including a starter. Are you deep enough on defense to try this against Oregon's offense? Only one way to find out I guess!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm reminded of US sports fans this summer who commented on diving and simulations in the World Cup. I even recall a certain AD railing on me about that being what is wrong with the sport last year, and taking pride that that kind of stuff didn't happen in the All American sport of football, which he played.

In soccer, you can get carded or sent off for simulation. In football, apparently, the conference sends a "tsk, tsk" letter to the coach the next week about the purity of the sport.

This goes in the archives along with the Vlady Divac clips.

Perhaps, at a minimum, the player could be barred from re-entering until the ref allows it, or the player could be barred for the rest of the drive, just to make sure he is OK. Wink
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Did you happen to notice the Florida-Idaho football game was stopped after 10 seconds last Saturday due to weather?

Well it turns out the Gators had three players suspended for the season opener against Idaho for various offenses during the off-season.  Funniest thing though, Florida coach Will Muschamp decided the players in question had served their suspensions during that 10-second game and all will be on the field this Saturday against Eastern Michigan.

I'm sure those three have really learned their lesson....it doesn't matter what your transgression, if the game could be a close one, you're playing! Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Did you happen to notice the Florida-Idaho football game was stopped after 10 seconds last Saturday due to weather?

Well it turns out the Gators had three players suspended for the season opener against Idaho for various offenses during the off-season.  Funniest thing though, Florida coach Will Muschamp decided the players in question had served their suspensions during that 10-second game and all will be on the field this Saturday against Eastern Michigan.

I'm sure those three have really learned their lesson....it doesn't matter what your transgression, if the game could be a close one, you're playing! Evil or Very Mad

SEC, baby!

Back to top Go down