Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington Game

+22
fan from afar
ktinpurple
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
onetouchfutbol
Trenchcoat Wally
decrink
eProf
dave97239
A_Fan
pms275
wrv
VillaGorilla
color me purple
ninjapizza
MaizeBluePurple
mattywizz
slick
purple haze
fozziewozzie
Psychotic
UPSoccerFanatic
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Washington Game - Page 2 Empty Re: Washington Game

Post by ktinpurple Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:39 am

The Huskies played very well. They are a very physical team. They wanted the win just like us. This year just wasn't our year.

I am very proud of our team. They worked so hard this year and it is a sad end, but I know the Pilots will come back stronger than ever next year. I am already very excited for next season.

I will miss our seniors so much. They are each one of a kind. I know they have great futures ahead though . They will be successful in whatever path they choose. I just hope they choose soccer! I want to see them on TV playing pro.

ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Someone a little while ago was wondering on here if the Pilots look at this website. I hope they do, and that they all get a sense of how much their fans appreciate them - how they play, how they comport themselves, how hard they work - win or lose. This was a tough year to lose so early in the playoffs with all the high expectations, and the UP fans are probably disappointed ALMOST (but surely not as much) as the young women who play the game. However, we're disappointed in the loss, definitely NOT in our players. Life goes on - kudos and thanks to all the young women for a great season.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Thank you seniors for four years of memories. I remember Jess falling down at her first game as a freshmen against FSU. How good she got at both the D and making those give and goes with the forwards and her assists like the pass to Meghan against SCU. Elli, came a long way from that little frshmen mid fielder with lots of guts to work a lot in the off season to mature and be a real threat with her over runs. Sophie and Keelin owned the mid field game after game. Quite a pair. I'll miss them both as leaders. Soph was not vocal out there, but you always knew she was in charge. She was the General who everyone looked up to. She lead by example and played any position asked of her.

That's why we bring our girls and their friends to the games. So they can see young women play the game with skill and gusto and sportmanship. That they can do this and be great students also and make positive contributions to the communtiy. They are a class act.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm

You don't see a pair that owns the midfield the way Keeling and Sophie did very often at any level anywhere. Neither do you see two outside backs of Jessica and Elli's quality on the same team.

Remember you got to see a very, very special team.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Meanwhile, Rev Tweeted a few thoughts on the game:
My appreciation for soccer took a big hit yesterday as UP women's soccer dominated UW and ended up losing 10-9 in penalty kicks. Why PK's?
I have permanent scar on my heart from when, as a senior, my favored team lost in NCAA tourney. But we were beat in 40 mins. Not HORSE.
I feel for our tremendous team of young women and, in particular, the impressive group of seniors. To lose on penalty kicks makes no sense.

All I can say, Coach, is, "That's football. Sometimes it sucks."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm

I agree with what everyone has said about this year's team and the seniors. I think this is the team I've loved the most for their sheer determination, hard work, discipline, and commitment to team.

I also want to recognize Kristen Kelly and Sara Jackman. These are young women who I'm sure would have loved to play more and who gave their all every time they were on the field. Local Kristen was one of the Pilots' more versatile players, able to defend and play mid-field, ever reliable, always making solid contributions and intelligent decisions on the field. And Sarah, our first Texan, solid in the mid-field and a great team player from beginning to end.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 am

Someone earlier in this thread made the comment that Halley should have come in for M. Cruz earlier (presumably with Sophie going to attacking mid). That may or may not be true. However, if it is true, it is only because our best player (Sophie) would be better used at attacking mid and definitely NOT because Michelle wasn't playing well. I thought Michelle really came alive over the past several games at attacking mid, showing pronounced improvement with each game as she became comfortable with the roll. I thought she was a real asset against Washington. It looked to me like she was aggressive and effective attacking with the ball, was holding the ball VERY well, was making mostly good passes, and was also very aggressive (Sophie-like) on defense, breaking up attacks before they could get started. I thought she really asserted herself into the flow of the game. It will be very interesting to see if she stays at attacking mid next year - my guess is yes.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:38 am

UPSF - ditto about Sara and Kristen. Every good team needs players like them.

I actually don't know much about Sara as a player, but Kristen was on the field a lot when I was out there. She showed some different strengths than the other central defenders, and I honestly thought she was at least the equal of our other CD's (except for Cloee, who has no equals - as far as I can see, there's Cloee, and then there's all the other collegiate central defenders).
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 pm

A few memories to hold onto: (of Sophie and others...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlMuxiJg2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6TWz-klPM&feature=related

onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dave97239 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 am

Just as I was feeling sad about our offensive woes against UW, I saw this video to remind me that things can always be worse.

Take a look at this missed opportunity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyNdt9yVugk&feature=player_embedded

dave97239
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

Wow - Even I could have gotten that one in the goal. Of course, I would probably have been too exhausted after running from the edge of the box to the front of the goal.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 am

Still shocked and stunned by our exit out of the second round. Its hard to get out of ones mind the disappointment of what happened. A saving grace was Friday’s game against UT San Antonio where we got to see all the seniors play. The strength of our back line in Ellie, Kristen and Jessica,
the force of Sophie, the elegance of play of Kendra, the determination of Keelin, and the undying effort of Sara made this group of seniors so very special. It was especially great to see Kendra doing her thing out there once again with her beautiful assists. Who knew that the San Antonio game would be the last game for each one of the seniors to display their amazing talents on Merlo field. We are losing a senior class of exceptional talent who has the second best winning percentage in the nation. Quite a remarkable stat. Such a senior class is irreplaceable. Thanks for all the wonderful and lasting memories.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by southanericanfan Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Great news that Hailee DeYoung will be back next year! cheers

southanericanfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I have revised my statement that "soccer is unfair" to read "soccer hurts." At least for a while.

Is there life after an early playoff defeat? Barely. I felt the same sense of loss years ago when Michael Jordan and the Bulls knocked off Clyde Drexler's Trail Blazers in the NBA Finals. Right after the last game I turned off the TV and went outside. In a minute I heard a hopeful sound: a neighbor kid had also come outside and was ... bouncing a basketball. Yeah, life goes on.

And yet ... Is there anything sadder than tickets to two home playoff games that won't be played? Yes, if you also follow the Pilots mens' team, which didn't get invited to the tournament.

Plus I can''t even root for the OSU women since they were bounced out as well. Now I don't give a rip who wins the College Cup. But I can still go see my high school alma mater, Catlin Gabel (both the girls and boys teams), play Saturday for their respective Oregon state titles in Class 3A/2A/1A. Go, Eagles!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:27 pm

purple haze wrote:I have revised my statement that "soccer is unfair" to read "soccer hurts." At least for a while.

Is there life after an early playoff defeat? Barely. I felt the same sense of loss years ago when Michael Jordan and the Bulls knocked off Clyde Drexler's Trail Blazers in the NBA Finals. Right after the last game I turned off the TV and went outside. In a minute I heard a hopeful sound: a neighbor kid had also come outside and was ... bouncing a basketball. Yeah, life goes on.

And, I have my Syracuse U basketball, and football (we're on the road back!!), but you're right - there's barely life after an early Pilot playoff loss. It must REALLY be hard for the women to swallow.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dave97239 Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Can someone give a penalty kick primer... I've never seen it go beyond the first 5 before.

Seems like 10 of the 11 players are selected to shoot for each team. Is the order of shooters given to the ref in advance, or determined on the fly?

First round is best score after first 5 shooters.
If still tied, then they just keep going pairwise until one team scores & the other team does not.

Also, what is the rule for the keeper? ... seemed like the keeper could not move at all until the ball was kicked. I had thought they could move side to side, but not out toward the shooter.

Do I have all this right?

Also what is the strategy on shooting order? I was surprised by UP's first 5 shooters (no Sophie). I would have thought you would go with your 5 best shooters first.

dave97239
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Here's what I know - I'm sure others will also weigh in -

When I was coaching high school soccer, the shootout players were from the 11 in at the end of the game. Evidently, that is not so anymore, at least not at the collegiate level. I am almost certain that a few of the Pilot kickers were not in the game (Frisbie, Olivier). I believe the first 5 are given to the ref, not sure if in order. It sounded like the next 5 were all going to shoot regardless of whether someone missed, at least until it was clinched - same as the first 5. Unless it has changed, the keeper can move sideways along the line, but not forward.

I was not at all surprised to not see Sophie in the first 5. She missed one earlier in the year and barely rolled one in later - Danielle was not in the game either time. I always had it planned so that a strong shooter went first to get us off to a good start, with my last shooter being premarily someone who could perform under pressure. I also had a lefty I stuck into the middle to present a different look. We practiced it a lot but never got a chance to use it.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm

fan from afar wrote:Here's what I know - I'm sure others will also weigh in -

When I was coaching high school soccer, the shootout players were from the 11 in at the end of the game. Evidently, that is not so anymore, at least not at the collegiate level. I am almost certain that a few of the Pilot kickers were not in the game (Frisbie, Olivier). I believe the first 5 are given to the ref, not sure if in order. It sounded like the next 5 were all going to shoot regardless of whether someone missed, at least until it was clinched - same as the first 5. Unless it has changed, the keeper can move sideways along the line, but not forward.

I was not at all surprised to not see Sophie in the first 5. She missed one earlier in the year and barely rolled one in later - Danielle was not in the game either time. I always had it planned so that a strong shooter went first to get us off to a good start, with my last shooter being premarily someone who could perform under pressure. I also had a lefty I stuck into the middle to present a different look. We practiced it a lot but never got a chance to use it.

The rules are a bit different in the NCAA, and have been for many years.

7.1.2.1 Only players who are listed on the official NCAA game roster
form shall be eligible to participate in the tiebreaker.
Each team shall
designate either: (a) 10 different kickers, one of whom may be the
goalkeeper; or (b) 10 different kickers and a goalkeeper who will
not participate as a designated kicker in the tiebreaker procedure.
The kicking order shall be at the discretion of the kicking team;
however, once taken, the order of the designated kickers shall
remain the same.
If any of the designated players, except for the
goalkeeper, are ejected during the tiebreaker, the game will continue
with the remaining designated players; and the opposing team, if
desired, shall have the option to reduce or adjust its kicking order
to avoid being penalized or placed at a disadvantage if the No. 1
kicker from the offending team ends up kicking against the No. 10
kicker from the non-offending team. In addition, if the designated
player ejected is the goalkeeper, his or her replacement may be from
any of the eligible players listed on the official NCAA game roster
for that game; however, the game will continue with the remaining
designated players and the opposing team shall remove one of the
designated kickers from its kicking order.

In two of the most famous shootouts in UP history, Colleen Salisbury came off the bench to shoot for UP. These were in the 2002 game against Stanford, and in the 2005 game against Penn State. Both Clive and Garrett figured a lefty would throw off the keeper, and they turned out to be right. Did Amanda shoot with her left?

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:33 pm

FIFA laws:
The shooters are the 11 players in the game when it ends.

This apparently is another difference in NCAA rules because Olivier and Frisbie did not play at all in the game.

FIFA: All 11 players shoot, including the goalies (the Timbers keeper took and made one in a shootout after a friendly last year). Must also be different because the UW keeper took one and Hailee didn't.

FIFA: There is no list given to the referee. You send 5 different shooters up. If it goes longer you keep sending them up one by one.

And no, you are not allowed to have an assistant coach whisper sweet nothings in your ear about which ways guys like to shoot in between kicks *cough*Kasey Keller*cough* Rolling Eyes
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes, Amanda did shoot with her left foot!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 am

That's interesting. Thought that UP had to select the pk line up from the players who played in the game. But thats right Frisbie and Olivier did not play. Questionable then, the players chosen to be in there for the pks and the first five.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Everyone certainly has the right to express an opinion on who should/shouldn't take penalty kicks - opinions and discussion are what this forum is for, at least partly. However, I would like to suggest that the best penalty kickers are not necessarily the ones you would expect, and that the only way to really know is to see them at practice over time as they practice this. As for the first five, I might ask which 5 you would expect to see in there, and then ask which player was the one who missed - she was probably one you would expect to be in the first 5. Then, consider that the ones you might not have expected to be in there really buried their kicks. The coaches know these things, but, also, you never know for sure how it will turn out. I'll bet Keelin makes that shot 19 times out of 20.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stocks Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

After watching the local news faun all over the UW coach and one of their players, i have to comment about the officiating. I know its bad form and what not, and that people always cite the officials when they lose, but i feel this is a special case. Besides the open season play on our players practiced by the UW team, which the official did nothing to stop, there were at least 4 handballs by UW that went completely uncalled, 1 of which was in the box, and directly in front of the ref. 2 of the others were noticed by the ENTIRE sideline. It was, in all honesty and sincerity, the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed. UW didn't win, their 12th player handed them the game on a silver platter.

Stocks
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2