Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett

+3
UPreveler
VillaGorilla
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett Empty O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Check it out:

The Pilots know little about the Roadrunners and probably won't learn much before Friday

"We're at a little bit of a disadvantage from not having much video from them. We've got two nationally televised games and online availability," Portland coach Garrett Smith said. "But if we can't go out and win a first-round game at home, we're not gonna win a national championship anyway."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/11/pilots_women_earn_top-seed_fac_1.html

Remember my little diatribe last week about how much the UP athletic department does to support women's soccer and provide tons of access for fans? Well, hardly any other schools do that, including several of the teams that earned seeds and made the tournament and especially a team from the Southland conference that doesn't have a history of soccer success.

So, when people wonder why games aren't archived online for more than a day or two, here's a big reason.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett Empty Re: O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:00 am

Frankly, I'm not sure how UTSA would be able to put up with listening to the audio commentary from our games . . . Rolling Eyes Gotta make it tough to scout us.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett Empty Re: O Article About Bracket; Interesting Quote from Garrett

Post by UPreveler Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 am

Went to the NCAA Women’s Soccer Tournament Selection Party. It was amazing to watch the selection together and get that #1seed. That is an interesting quote but understandable since the St Mary’s tie is not what was wanted entering the playoffs. But, kudos to the younger players for playing their hearts out all season. It’s been a long season for them and they have expended a lot of energy. It’s the perfect time for the juniors and seniors to step up big and be the ones to carry the team to a National Championship. They know what it takes. The return of Sophie and Kendra to the line-up couldn’t come at a better time. Sophie will be a monster from her high of playing for her Canadian team and Kendra will have the freshness and strength to make things happen. "But if we can’t go out and win a first-round game at home, we’re not gonna win a national championship anyway." With the veteran players stepping up big and Sophie and Kendra aces up our sleeve we will win it all. I’m pumped.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd be surprised if Sophie played much this weekend.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:09 pm

A_Fan wrote:I'd be surprised if Sophie played much this weekend.

I'll be shocked if she plays on Friday. On Sunday, I expect to see her.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Yes, we've seen national team players rest rather than get back onto the field for the first game after returning from international competition. Just having Sophie at Merlo on Friday will be a high for Pilot Nation. Time to crank up the excitement.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Stonehouse wrote:So, when people wonder why games aren't archived online for more than a day or two, here's a big reason.

I think it became petty clear, very early in the season, that upcoming opponents were scouting the Pilots and setting up their defenses accordingly. It's one thing if everyone has game film available for the other team, but not good if it's one-sided. I figured that was why the "on demand" videos weren't up that long, and the response of taking the videos down pretty quickly seemed like the right response to me.

I guess it's part of the price of success. affraid
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Your mission next season (should you decide to accept it): Scout all Pilots opponents with videocameras in hand, deliver secret files to coaching staff.

Discuss: How valuable is video scouting in the free-flowing game of soccer where the coach does not dictate set play after set play, where players innovate, and where subs are rare?
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm

purple haze wrote:Your mission next season (should you decide to accept it): Scout all Pilots opponents with videocameras in hand, deliver secret files to coaching staff.

Discuss: How valuable is video scouting in the free-flowing game of soccer where the coach does not dictate set play after set play, where players innovate, and where subs are rare?
It can tell you about the team's formation, who likes to play combinations with each other, where the team's top scorers like to make their runs from, what they like to do at set pieces, etc.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down