Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Board Feeback?

+8
PilotDrummer
MaizeBluePurple
PilotNut
blacksheep
shallwemaui10
ShipstadPilot11
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
12 posters

Go down

Video Board Feeback? Empty Video Board Feeback?

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:51 am

Would love to hear people's thoughts. It's still very much a work in progress, but overall, what did people think of the board? Comments/suggestions for improvement? Things you liked/didn't like?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Video Board Feeback? Empty Re: Video Board Feeback?

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:09 am

Overall it's a great improvement. When you guys get it all up and running, it will ba a Great addition.

I've only seen it twice, the second women's game, and today for just a bit as I spent most of the day outside in the rain watching the men dominate USD to a 0-0 tie. Mad

Already there has been a big improvement. You must have cranked the brightness down a bit, because the other night I not only had trouble looking at the screens, I could barely stand to be in the arena, it was so bright. I even brought sunglasses this time just in case.

Much better this time, though. Having the stats up once in a while is nice. Now I don't have to steal a halftime box from the scorers table anymore. I'm not sure the color for the scores is right, but I don't have a real suggestion. Sometimes that yellow blends in with the background or the floor.

It looks like the operators are learning the features-more stuff up this time. I'm sure we'll learnt to hate the ads when you start doing that Very Happy

I'm really intrigued by the possibilities with the displays. It looks like it would be cool to rotate an image through all four screens. Is there a button on the panel that allows that?

I can see the PilotNation logo spinning around the room.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 am

I didn't care for delay of the player introductions to show a highlight video. Perhaps there is a better time to do that. I was also looking for some additional stats, like rebounds. But it is a great upgrade.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 am

It seems to me that some cameras are better than others because at times, the resolution on the screen seems decent and at others it seems terrible. I'd be curious to know the maximum resolution of our screen compared to standard HD, also.

I agree about wanting to see more stats. Maybe it would be possible to only show one team's stats at a time and show more than just the 5 players who are on the floor, maybe show names and show stat categories too.

I don't really like the score on top of the live feed of the game. Chiles is a rather intimate arena and it seems unnecessary to have the live video on the screen when everyone can see it fine on the floor. Maybe for sold out games it would be helpful for those in the higher stands but games like today it seems pointless. I think there are better uses of the video area than a live video of the game happening underneath it.

I don't mean to be critical - I'm just offering advice. I'm VERY happy to see the dedication to improvement and I'm sure it's a work in progress.

SP11
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by shallwemaui10 Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 pm

didn't care for the video intro before player introductions.

shallwemaui10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I like the video board, but the score overlayed onto the game looked like something from the 1980's. Also, it was hard to read with all the movement in the background. It would be nice to have the score on top, with game action below (though I'm not sure why anyone in Chiles would need to watch the game on the screen instead of on the court). If you simply used the modern wide screen aspect ratio, it seems it would fit perfectly.

Sounds like the next upgrade might need to be the cameras. Very Happy
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm

The screens looked great, and I loved the little highlight reels coming out of the time outs. I think the ability to instantly show replays would be great, similar to the button on my DVR that backs up 15 seconds to replay what just happened. How cool would it be to re-watch a thunderous Sikma dunk a couple times right after it happens?! Maybe once in real time, and once in slow-mo?!

It is an interesting point about showing the actual game "live" on the screen... I am not sure if that is necessary or not. It seems to me that replays, stats, information, cool graphics, more stats, etc. would be a better use of the screen?

Does the Rose Garden show the Blazer game live action on the screens during play? What about other smaller venues?

Would it be possible to shade the background of the score/stats portion of the screen just a tad, to make them easier to read?

The new 3-sided shot clocks are nice, as they also show the game time remaining... all in all a VAST improvement.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm

The score blending in with the background is something I would keep an eye on. I like the idea of putting that up top without any video behind it. I saw it at the first womens game which was much worse than the first men's game. So there is a lot of improvement already. (Everything was white and smaller. I don't remember seeing the person who just fouled someone and what number it was being there either.)
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I love it. Nitpicks follow...

The video intro is a good idea, but the quality of some of the footage was really bad. The delay to get it started was annoying, and it never felt like it "went" anywhere. If the music built up to something (louder, sped up, etc) it would be a good transition into the band's intro (once the band knows where the video ends).

I don't know that I mind the scores and such on the video of the game. I know lots of work was done to get the university branding for athletics, and it seems silly to not be leveraging any of that work as far as fonts and such. Even something like Arial or Tahoma would be better than Times New Roman or whatever is up there right now.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:The video intro is a good idea, but the quality of some of the footage was really bad. The delay to get it started was annoying, and it never felt like it "went" anywhere. If the music built up to something (louder, sped up, etc) it would be a good transition into the band's intro (once the band knows where the video ends).
I agree. I thought the intro video was incredibly anticlimactic.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 am

The video board content is coming along nicely... I like the frequency of the stats, the team-specific stats with assists, etc... the replays during time outs... if we could get "instant" replays on big plays or questionable situations, that would be cool...

The score is much easier to read now, and I love the players announcing the "T-Shirt toss!!" Smile

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm

The live video of the game is distracting. There is no reason to have the game on the screen when it's right there on the floor. I'd rather just see stats all the time. It would also be nice to see replays on the video screen shortly after important plays happen.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 pm

I love the "T SHIRT TIME!" video. The commercial with Stohl is great too.

The shortened intro video is much better, except that the end looks like it reads, "It's Time Game."

Seeing the team stats like FG and rebounds shows you how the Pilots are winning the game. I know we've been a good rebounding team, but seeing the actual margin is eye-opening.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:except that the end looks like it reads, "It's Time Game."
AGREED!!!!! It bugs me every time.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I love the "T SHIRT TIME!" video. The commercial with Stohl is great too.

The shortened intro video is much better, except that the end looks like it reads, "It's Time Game."

Seeing the team stats like FG and rebounds shows you how the Pilots are winning the game. I know we've been a good rebounding team, but seeing the actual margin is eye-opening.

Agreed. It seems like the T-Shirt Time video is getting great crowd participation, and I like what that is going to do with bigger crowds as the season progresses...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 am

I wasn't aware that I'd payed a fee for the video board, but now that I do, I would like it back.

/snark

Razz

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:except that the end looks like it reads, "It's Time Game."
AGREED!!!!! It bugs me every time.
Bugs me too. I thought it was just me.

I agree that the t-shirt time thing seems to be working well. I also like the mini highlight reels during timeouts.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down