Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew!

+4
letsgopilots11
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
8 posters

Go down

Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew! Empty Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew!

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 am

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2010/10/29/GEN_1029101624.aspx

It's a pretty informative article outlining the whole decision... and it's pretty much about Title IX compliance. Unfortunate to have to actually cut 2 programs, but on the sunny side Crew will be a very nice and logical addition to the campus, a natural segue to our river campus aspirations, and perhaps hosting on campus regattas in the future? (The last part is pure speculation, but awesome speculation at that.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew! Empty Re: Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew!

Post by PilotNut Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 am

While it stinks to cut any sport, and I hope for the best for the current Pilot golphers, I am excited that we will be adding crew. The U is honoring their scholarships and/or will help them transfer elsewhere to play immediately.

With the new River Campus, a boat house facility on the water will be very cool, and will offer UP the chance to host events.

Lets make sure the new PN Yacht Club Lounge has a view of the Crew facilities...

Last edited by PilotNut on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Not to mention easy access to Etzel/Kreuger/Lampkin Cove so we can kayak and fetch home run balls...

BTW the OregonLive has the same press release linked on to their front page right now...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:49 pm

PilotNut wrote:While it stinks to cut any sport, and I hope for the best for the current Pilot golphers, I am excited that we will be adding crew. The U is honoring their scholarships and/or will help them transfer elsewhere to play immediately.

With the new River Campus, a boat house facility on the water will be very cool, and will offer UP the chance to host events.

Lets make sure the new PN Yacht Club Lounge has a view of the Crew facilities...

Golphers?

I guess it's not just Stoney we have to watch....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Goodbye golf, hello Women's Crew! Empty RE: Goodbye Golf, hello Women's Crew

Post by letsgopilots11 Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 pm

As a current student on campus, I am very unhappy about the decision of the University to cut the golf program. In reading the article posted on the portlandpilots.com site, I was able to gain further insight to the situation, but it still does not decrease my displeasure. I have many connections to the golf team and I am able to fully understand how this is affecting their lives and the lives of the coaching staff.

The University is trying to be realistic. I understand that, as the biggest factor that stuck out to me was how the University evaluated the campus/community impact that the sport has. Golf is difficult, much like cross country and track on our campus, as all meets/games/tournaments are held off-campus. The same will be true with Women's Crew.

Let's be honest. River Campus will be a FANTASTIC addition to our campus... in about 10 years at the earliest. We first have to continue our work with the EPA in cleaning up the contaminated area before any sort of construction will ever begin. Also, the University is just now starting its processes in going before the City Commission with the expansion plans. Who knows how long it will be before those get approved. Secondly, the University is starting a Capital Campaign this Winter, and with the current state of the economy, our work is going to be doubly difficult in procuring investors who can foot the bill of constructing anything. This includes proposed docks and training center for the Crew Team at River Campus.

In sum, I am trying to point out how ineffective the addition of a varsity Crew team will be to our campus within the next year. We simply do not have the interest nor the facilities to adequately support a Crew team, "which is meant to garner more interest and involve more students than the Men's and Women's Golf programs" per the University article. Yes, golf can be seen as a "difficult" fit because it does not have quite the campus interest as say basketball, but nor does track and field or cross country (despite all the cross country team's successes). The city of Portland itself has a strong Crew interest, but our University does not. I do not forsee Women's Crew garnering as much interest on campus as the University may be hoping and the figure of 40-60 students participating is almost laughable at this point.

But who knows, maybe I will be eating my words come next Fall. But I ain't happy about it.

letsgopilots11
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 pm

62 team members? How many scholarships are allowed? I guess the 10.5 scholarships for golf wasn't the big cost factor. Too many men playing sports again.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:51 pm

I know that our club crew program is a competitive, active and eager, though under-funded, bunch. I hope this translates into a thriving varsity program.

I would imagine that golf requires a lot of money per athlete. Hopefully we can use those dollars to support far more athletes in crew. Further, our weather is more conducive to crew than to golf. Who likes to golf in Portland in October - March?

Just my two cents. I think this has potential.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 pm

up7587 wrote:62 team members? How many scholarships are allowed? I guess the 10.5 scholarships for golf wasn't the big cost factor. Too many men playing sports again.

I don't think it has to do with too may men playing sports as it does with UP having a larger and larger percentage of women and women athletes. Face it, the campus is majority women undergrads and their athletic needs have to be met. You have to adapt to your demographics.

Crew allows 20 scholarship equivalents. of course, as an equivalence sport, that money can be divided as the school sees fit.

That's assuming, of course, that the team will be one of the crew teams that is fully funded. It's not clear all of the 84 D1 teams are.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
up7587 wrote:62 team members? How many scholarships are allowed? I guess the 10.5 scholarships for golf wasn't the big cost factor. Too many men playing sports again.

I don't think it has to do with too may men playing sports as it does with UP having a larger and larger percentage of women and women athletes. Face it, the campus is majority women undergrads and their athletic needs have to be met. You have to adapt to your demographics.

Crew allows 20 scholarship equivalents. of course, as an equivalence sport, that money can be divided as the school sees fit.

That's assuming, of course, that the team will be one of the crew teams that is fully funded. It's not clear all of the 84 D1 teams are.

Exactly. Title IX does not mean the same number of men and women student-athletes, but rather that it is consistent with the overall student population (e.g., 60%-40% population split means 60%-40% student-athlete population).

I'll be honest, while it's a tough thing for the current golf kids, the decision was probably pretty easy in the long run, as far as compliance and $$. Looks like we're handling it well as far as being open and transparent as to factors considered and looking out for the current Golphers.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Actually it's more like 65-35%, I think the most current class was something like 70-30! as R54 just mentioned title IX requires your athletic participation to reflect the student body population ratio... Fail to comply to that can result in discrimination lawsuits that could cripple an athletic department.

Golf is an easy cut, it affects very few students, is expensive to fund, and historically our golf teams haven't exactly been the most competitive (Kind of hard to compete with schools in warmer climates that can practice all year...) As far as engaging and involving more students, um yeah, the golf teams have maybe 18 participants combined, crew could triple that. The Title IX situation pretty much handcuffs the athletic department and something had to go, and while the river campus/crew may not be something that is truly accessible on campus just yet, the situation had to be fixed ASAP to be legally compliant.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 am

The University of Portland women’s rowing team will add three recruits to the program as Hannah Chandler (Anchorage, Alaska), Hannah Johnson (Seattle, Wash.) and Bridget Sloat (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) have each signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Pilots next fall. rimshot

“These first three recruits will be great additions to our developing team and it shows that people are recognizing the outstanding opportunities for rowing student-athletes at the University of Portland,” head coach Bill Zack said. “We’re still in contact with other current high school seniors, and we’re looking forward to adding to this recruiting class in the spring.”

See the whole article at:
http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2011/11/28/ROW_1128111212.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Golphers?

I guess it's not just Stoney we have to watch....

I'm sure it was a reference to Caddyshack and the "gophers"... Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:04 pm

Lots of chatter at yesterday's Athletic Department golf tournament at Columbia Edgewater about bringing men's and women's golf back with Columbia Edgewater as the home course.

I don't know any details or numbers, but the plan has the backing of the University of Portland president. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Lots of chatter at yesterday's Athletic Department golf tournament at Columbia Edgewater about bringing men's and women's golf back with Columbia Edgewater as the home course.

I don't know any details or numbers, but the plan has the backing of the University of Portland president. Cool

Golf and water polo appear to be the two WCC men's sports UP does not currently field teams.

Golf and softball are the two WWC women's sports UP does not currently field teams.

Golf always seemed pretty easy to do: no campus facilities, no equipment to provide.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down