Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WCC Pre-Season Poll & All-WCC Team

+7
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
MesaPilot1
Rob's Jacket
Rochin54
Stonehouse
PilotNut
11 posters

Go down

WCC Pre-Season Poll & All-WCC Team Empty WCC Pre-Season Poll & All-WCC Team

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Jared Stohl Named to Preseason All-WCC Team as Pilots Picked Fifth in Coaches Poll

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --- The Portland Pilots have been voted fifth in the 2010-11 West Coast Conference men’s basketball preseason poll, the league announced on Tuesday. Portland senior guard Jared Stohl was named to the WCC Preseason All-Conference team, as selected by the league’s head coaches. Gonzaga was picked to win the WCC and received 48 of a possible 49 total votes.

Loyola Marymount and Saint Mary’s followed in second and third place, respectively. Both teams garnered one first-place vote. Santa Clara was picked fourth, followed by Portland, San Francisco, Pepperdine and San Diego.

Head coach Eric Reveno and the Pilots are coming off of consecutive third-place finishes in the WCC and the best two-year run in program history. Portland matched a school-record with 21 wins last year and posted 19 victories during the 2008-09 season. Both years the Pilots were invited to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

Stohl led the nation in three-point percentage last season at .478 and is 49 points shy of joining the 1,000-point club. Other key returners are big men Luke Sikma, Kramer Knutson and Jasonn Hannibal. Sikma led the WCC in field goal percentage (.563) and was second in the conference in rebounding (7.5). Knutson is a three-year starter at center, while Hannibal made significant strides as the backup center last year. Junior guards Nemanja Mitrovic and Eric Waterford are also back and expected to be key contributors. Reveno added seven true freshmen and a sophomore junior college transfer to the 2010-11 roster.

Gonzaga, which is ranked 12th in the ESPN/USA Today Preseason Poll, has won 10 consecutive WCC regular season championships. The Bulldogs went 12-2 in conference play and 27-7 overall en route to a second round appearance at the NCAA Tournament. Senior guard Steven Gray and sophomore forward Elias Harris, the 2009-10 WCC Newcomer of the Year, were both named to the Preseason All-WCC Team after being selected to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 List earlier this month. Gray and Harris each started all 34 games for the Bulldogs a year ago, with Harris averaging 14.9 points and 7.1 rebounds and Gray 13.6 points, 4.0 assists and 2.9 rebounds.

Loyola Marymount, which reached the College Insider.com Tournament last year for its first postseason appearance in 20 years, was picked to finish second after returning 13 players from last year’s 18-win team. Two key returners from that team – senior Vernon Teel and redshirt junior Drew Viney – were named to the Preseason All-Conference Team. Teel was a First-Team All-WCC selection a year ago after averaging 15.4 points and 5.3 rebounds, while Viney was also a first team pick after putting up 16.7 points and 7.0 boards in his first season at LMU after transferring from Oregon.

Saint Mary’s, which was picked third, is coming off its first NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in school history and the 2010 Zappos.com WCC Men’s Basketball Tournament Championship. Senior guard Mickey McConnell solidified a spot on the Preseason All-Conference Team after earning First-Team All-WCC and Zappos.com WCC Championship MVP honors in 2009-10. McConnell is joined on the Preseason All-Conference Team by sophomore Matthew Dellavedova. The 6-foot-4 Australian averaged 12.1 points and 4.5 assists per game and played in a conference-leading 36.4 minutes per contest.

Santa Clara was picked to finish fourth in the WCC on the strength of preseason all-conference selections Kevin Foster and Marc Trasolini. Foster averaged 14.7 points to earn WCC Co-Newcomer of the Year honors in 2008-09, but missed the majority of last season with a foot injury. Trasolini returns for his junior season after leading the Broncos in points, rebounds and blocked shots last season.

All eight West Coast Conference teams start non-conference action on Friday, November 12 with seven of the eight teams playing on their home floor. Conference plays starts on Thursday, January 6, highlighted by Loyola Marymount playing host to Saint Mary’s on ESPNU. A total of 14 conference games will be broadcast by ESPN2 and ESPNU, and overall, 43 of 56 WCC men’s basketball games will be aired on national or regional television.

The conference campaign will conclude at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas for the third consecutive season with the Zappos.com WCC Basketball Championships on March 4-7.

2010-11 WCC Men’s Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll
Team (First Place Votes) Points
1. Gonzaga (6) 48
2. Loyola Marymount (1) 42
3. Saint Mary’s (1) 39
4. Santa Clara 28
5. Portland 25
6. San Francisco 18
7. Pepperdine 14
8. San Diego 10

Coaches could not vote for their own team

2010-11 WCC Men’s Basketball Preseason All-Conference Team
(Alphabetical order)
Keion Bell, G, 6-3, Jr., Pepperdine University
Matthew Dellavedova, G, 6-4, So., Saint Mary’s College
Kevin Foster, G, 6-2, So., Santa Clara University
Steven Gray, G, 6-5, Sr., Gonzaga University
Elias Harris, F, 6-7, So., Gonzaga University
Mickey McConnell, G, 6-0, Sr., Saint Mary’s College
Jared Stohl, G, 6-2, Sr., University of Portland
Vernon Teel, G, 6-4, Sr., Loyola Marymount University
Marc Trasolini, F, 6-9, Jr., Santa Clara University
Drew Viney, F, 6-8, Jr., Loyola Marymount University

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

WCC Pre-Season Poll & All-WCC Team Empty Re: WCC Pre-Season Poll & All-WCC Team

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:47 pm

I would say that 5th is fair. I'm hoping that by the time WCC play rolls around we'll have developed enough to be a better team than Santa Clara, but if Foster comes back healthy they will be a handful. Still, I'm not entirely sold on the Broncos.

Interesting that they went with LMU ahead of SMC. I love the Lions, but the Gaels have been proven winners for a long time now... gotta finish ahead of them first before you get voted that way, in my opinion.

I wonder if Few voted for the Gaels or the Lions...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Hmm, I'm surprised by the Lions over the Gaels as well. I think LMU can be a very good team, but I like SMC with Mickey and Dellavadova coming back. We shall see though.

As far as us, I would have put us ahead of the Broncos. Looking at the points there, SCU and UP are definitely the 4/5 team. The realist in me thinks we fall somewhere between number 3 and 5. The optimist in me thinks LMU and SMC are not a step above us and that we can finish 2nd, maybe finally beat GU in Chiles. We shall see.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:49 am

Stonehouse wrote:I'm hoping that by the time WCC play rolls around we'll have developed enough to be a better team than Santa Clara,

This should be the case based on coaching alone. Keating can recruit, sure, but I haven't seen him develop anybody. Add to that the fact that he's arguably the worst in-game coach in the WCC, and I'll take the Pilots over the Broncos any day.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 pm

I hear this team has better athletes and more overall depth in no portland, I mean looking at last year who did we really lose , TJ & Robin, Nik while our best player was out majority of the season....ito,and Ethan's talent levels are marked ly less than their freshman counterparts, Eric will be battling for minutes when before his injury last yr he was pushing ito further down Revs bench....the closed scrimmage last week went well against a top Pac 10 conference school is all I'm saying.....how about you naysayers who said the Pilots had no chance last year against, UCLA, OR THE GOLDEN GOPEN ERRH's last year ....does the scrimmage ease your worries, huh?????

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
This should be the case based on coaching alone. Keating can recruit, sure, but I haven't seen him develop anybody. Add to that the fact that he's arguably the worst in-game coach in the WCC, and I'll take the Pilots over the Broncos any day.
They completely collapsed down the stretch against Gonzaga at home last season. Was that game ever painful to follow.

From the sound of Rev's tweets he sounds like he's ready and willing to do a lot of teaching this season. This is good news to me since he also seems to have a passion for developing players.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote:
They completely collapsed down the stretch against Gonzaga at home last season. Was that game ever painful to follow.

From the sound of Rev's tweets he sounds like he's ready and willing to do a lot of teaching this season. This is good news to me since he also seems to have a passion for developing players.

That's exactly the game I was thinking of. SCU didn't even score in the last 5+ minutes of the game. Given the choice, I much prefer a teacher as a head coach to a recruiter. Of course, a combination of the two is ideal. Very Happy

Just sayin, Keating was UCLA's top recruiter before he got hired at SCU. Anyone remember who else was UCLA's top recruiter before getting hired at a WCC school?

Holton.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

He was also the top consumer of lizard shoes on the entire west coast... (And still is by all accounts I've heard)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:01 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:I hear this team has better athletes and more overall depth in no portland, I mean looking at last year who did we really lose , TJ & Robin, Nik while our best player was out majority of the season....ito,and Ethan's talent levels are marked ly less than their freshman counterparts, Eric will be battling for minutes when before his injury last yr he was pushing ito further down Revs bench....the closed scrimmage last week went well against a top Pac 10 conference school is all I'm saying.....how about you naysayers who said the Pilots had no chance last year against, UCLA, OR THE GOLDEN GOPEN ERRH's last year ....does the scrimmage ease your worries, huh?????

I'm with Mesa. I've heard great things about the freshman and how they all could have pushed for minutes on last year's team. This is how we need to take that next step is to continually improve our talent level with each recruiting class. I am sure we are going to stumble against some teams that we should beat but I don't think we should be relegated to the bottom half of the WCC. Let's hope. I really wonder where Coach Reveno voted the team to place and what their team goals are.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:44 pm

I could be mistaken but Im pretty sure the closed door scrimmage that Mesa mentioned is this weekend. The scrimmage last weekend was open to the public and was an intersquad game.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:22 pm

oldtimer wrote:I could be mistaken but...

true.... Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Geez, help out here, are you saying I was right or wrong! Question

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Ha ha, no, oldtimer - you are right on. Last weekend's scrimmage was intrasquad and open to the public. Three 12 minute periods.

Pilots shot the ball really, really well... Tanner Riley is looking very good. Eric Waterford played the best of all the PGs. And Kramer was a man possessed - scoring points, pulling down boards, blocking shots, making free throws (!)... he played awesome, especially in the 3rd game.

Closed-door scrimmage this weekend against a Pac-10 school this weekend. No details can be released about it, sadly.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Ok thought so, and very glad to hear that the team is looking good. Good news about Eric as I know that Derrick and Tim are also solid guards so that makes for a deeper backcourt. Kramer will have to be a solid piece in the middle this year. He will need to improve both on his ppg and rpg from last year but with Robin having graduated he will get a lot more opportunities.
How did Stohl look? He will be a very important piece to the puzzle this year of course as will Sikma. How about the other new guys? Any others going to help our depth?

Last edited by oldtimer on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : emoticons)

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
Closed-door scrimmage this weekend against a Pac-10 school this weekend. No details can be released about it, sadly.
All I can say is, I saw a Pac-10 coach with a brother-in-law who works for the feds standing outside Merlo checking out some soccer. Maybe he was up here because he loves Pilot soccer; I don't know. scratch
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

Just in case you weren't sure when it was (or already happened) I highlighted it to help you out.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 pm

mattywizz wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:

Just in case you weren't sure when it was (or already happened) I highlighted it to help you out.
Based on my mad investigative journalism skills I think it went down yesterday.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Yeah, couldn't get anything from 45 even after I threatened to have basketball head get it out of him....btw how did you like the older brothers outfit in Vegas this year, the Viking look just didn't rival basketball head from last years Anaheim classic, lol...

MESAPILOT1 afro

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I knew who they played two weeks ago, nah, nah, boo, boo!!!
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
mattywizz wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:

Based on my mad investigative journalism skills I think it went down yesterday.
clown

Sleep

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down