Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010-2011 Schedule So Far

+5
onetouchfutbol
DaTruRochin
oldtimer
PilotNut
Stonehouse
9 posters

Go down

2010-2011 Schedule So Far Empty 2010-2011 Schedule So Far

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 28, 2010 4:11 pm

OK, so this is what we know so far...

Home Games

Home Tournament - Early November
UW-Milwaukee
Florida Atlantic
UC Davis
(I'm assuming we'll play two of these three teams)

Kentucky (Rose Garden) - Nov. 19

St. Louis (After Thanksgiving)

Utah

Nevada

UC Santa Barbara

Boise State

Road Games

Seattle

Denver

Portland State

Washington - Dec. 6

Washington State

I'm sure there will be a few more added... at least one non-D1 for sure, since that seems to be what this coaching staff likes to do around Christmas Break and/or at the very end of the season.

But overall... a VERY challenging home schedule, but lots of good games, especially when you remember that we also have the WCC slate with Gonzaga and Saint Mary's (potential Top 25 teams) and improved LMU, SCU, and USF teams.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 Schedule So Far Empty Re: 2010-2011 Schedule So Far

Post by PilotNut Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Agreed on the tough schedule... but I would much rather play this schedule than the awful schedules we had in the Holton era. This will only help continue to build to program...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 Schedule So Far Empty road game

Post by oldtimer Sun May 30, 2010 11:08 pm

I believe the WSU game will be in Seattle. Sounds like a great schedule is being built, and will help the program continue to build.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm not sure about Seattle for WSU - we're playing Washington there though. (Or, at least, I think we are.)

WSU played Portland State in the Tri-Cities last year... maybe a repeat of that?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 am

YEAH! Road trip to Pasco! (Which is like a shorter version of a road trip to Stockton with decidedly worse strip malls, and a complete lack of BevMo stores...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Mon May 31, 2010 12:07 am

I could be wrong, just passing on what I heard. Tri Cities would be decent although the Toyota Center isnt the best of facilities but any excuse for a road trip is good with me.
Can you believe the Kentucky game??? Very exciting, nothing like putting the new guys right to the test. I believe it is schedules like this that help create a national exposure which is always good for a growing program. With the teams listed above it just makes me want the season to be here all the sooner!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon May 31, 2010 12:21 pm

I like the WSU and Utah games on the schedule...tough, but, not impossible. I'd still like to see more efforts to schedule other successful mid-majors... maybe Sienna or Butler. I like how RPI won't be an excuse though. Either we get the job done or we don't. Smile
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon May 31, 2010 4:41 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:I like the WSU and Utah games on the schedule...tough, but, not impossible. I'd still like to see more efforts to schedule other successful mid-majors... maybe Sienna or Butler. I like how RPI won't be an excuse though. Either we get the job done or we don't. Smile

Well... Utah, St. Louis, Nevada, UCSB... those are all successful mid-majors. St. Louis is a Top 25 candidate. UCSB is consistently among the best teams in the Big West and is going to be very, very tough to beat. Nevada has been the best WAC team over the past several seasons. Utah has the history, though they haven't been as strong in recent years. Still a quality program though. Boise State will be rebuilding under Leon Rice (former Gonzaga asst.) but has the potential to turn into a really strong WAC team.

Also, remember... other than St. Louis, they are West Coast regional teams, which will always be our bread and butter. Yes, it's nice to play teams from outside our region sometimes, but given the shorter travel times and costs and the impact of going into areas that we recruit... makes more sense to try and schedule quality games with West Coast teams rather than going to New York to play Siena or Indiana to play Butler.

These are the types of (I assume) home-and-home series that are very important for us. They provide us with a quality home game and are not RPI killers. With the way BCS conference teams are avoiding mid-majors more and more, we're going to be looking at more and more series against quality mid-major programs, which is something I'm excited about.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon May 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Hmmm... Stonehouse could you or someone else give some kind of a definitive definition of what a mid-major team/conference is? I've never seen Utah listed in the top 25 mid-major rankings in men's basketball even though they often have a strong team. What seems to keep some of these teams you listed out of the top 25 mid-major rankings? Why do Nevada and Utah often seem to make the tourney in mid-major conferences without being ranked in the top 25 of the mid-majors in recent years? Have their programs or RPIs taken a dip?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't know what the mid-major Top 25 uses to define who the mid-majors are. I do know there is no definitive definition of what a mid-major is. One that I like is the one used by the Mid-Majority. They use the size of the school's athletic budget. They refer to the "red line" to separate the mid-majors from the power conference teams:

http://midmajority.com/redline.php

Under this model Utah is not a mid-major as it plays in the Mountain West, a conference whose members have a larger athletic budget than most of the schools playing DI basketball.

For my part I will say I like the look of the schedule so far. Rev Larry have done well this offseason to get challenging opponents.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 31, 2010 6:21 pm

It was originally coined by sportswriters for basketball to denote any D1 school that competes in basketball that's not from one of the bcs conferences.

This is an important for the NCAA tournament, because the BCS schools have 60% of the votes at the rules, selection, and seeding table by rule even though they comprise less than 30% of the schools.

So, they have the clout to take care of their own.

The term has no official meaning. Some people call teams that don't take basketball seriously " low majors" but that doesn't really mean anything, either.

It's becoming accepted to differentiate BCS, FCS ( division 1AA) and division 1AAA. There is a 1AAA association, which is all D1 schools who don't have a football team at all.

There.... It's all explained. There will be a quiz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I think the bottom line is with the way things are going, a team like UP has to be excited and jump on the chance when any of the schools from the big $$$ conferences are willing to schedule us. I mean the compensation alone is well worth it, especially if they are willing to play in Portland.

That said, scheduling a team because they are a name may look good on the schedule, but at the same time it needs to be done with purpose. As Stoney mentioned playing west coast teams make sense since the bread and butter of our talent pool will be west coast players by nature.

I love this new schedule, and hope that we can build competitive relationships with other mid major teams/conferences in the future. I think that kind of association is paramount with the ever widening budget gaps between traditional powers and the little guys. But again it has to be done in a smart fashion. You don't want to travel across the country just to do it, it has to be done in a way that the program can use it to continue fostering growth, increasing exposure and ultimately improving because of said travel/schedule.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I don't know what the mid-major Top 25 uses to define who the mid-majors are. I do know there is no definitive definition of what a mid-major is. One that I like is the one used by the Mid-Majority. They use the size of the school's athletic budget. They refer to the "red line" to separate the mid-majors from the power conference teams:

http://midmajority.com/redline.php

Under this model Utah is not a mid-major as it plays in the Mountain West, a conference whose members have a larger athletic budget than most of the schools playing DI basketball.

For my part I will say I like the look of the schedule so far. Rev Larry have done well this offseason to get challenging opponents.

I like the idea of using the athletic budget as part of the criteria. I think that's one of the things that realistically keeps the teams on the same playing field. A team can have a bigger budget but be from a less prime time conference. In terms of basketball, our school has more in common with Sienna and SMU than we do with Utah. One great coach like Rick Majerus can completely change a program.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:57 am

Here's the mid-Majority designation, which goes just a bit broader than the BCS Cutoff:

We have our position on this, and it's been a clear and constantly repeated one for years now. College basketball is about money first and foremost, and there are haves, and have-lesses. Don't think budgets matter? Tell it to a school that's had its coach hired away for double his previous salary, or a program that was drubbed in the recruiting game by a bigger school with more money to burn and a name that you can find on the front of sweatshirts at Modell's. Competitive balance has long been a major issue in professional sports -- you don't expect the small-market Rays to hang with the big-bucks Yankees, do you? -- and the NCAA will never, ever have a salary cap or basement.

Here at The Mid-Majority, we are instituting the simple, clear answer that has so far been lacking. There's a red line at $20 million (a college hoops Mendoza line, if you will), and any conferences with a higher average athletic budget should have all the resources they need with which to recruit top players and hire top coaches and buy wins. Can't win with all that dough? Tough luck. Any conference below the line is performing small miracles if they can even compete on the same court as the six "power" and two "money" leagues, and this site's primary focus has been celebrating those victories for the great moments they are.

(These are all figures from the U.S. Department of Postsecondary Education, for the reporting year 2006-07.)

Conference Avg. Athletic Budget (2006-07)
Big Ten $64,407,135
Southeastern $61,210,151
Big 12 $54,578,398
Pac-10 $52,429,372
Atlantic Coast $49,445,289
Big East $33,412,163
Mountain West $24,181,211
Conference USA $23,763,832
----------------------------------------
Western Athletic $18,488,894
Mid-American $18,134,643
Ivy League $17,404,754
Colonial $15,096,573
America East $14,755,456
Atlantic 10 $14,239,811
Patriot League $13,738,675
Sun Belt $12,524,273
Missouri Valley $12,225,798
West Coast $11,877,780
Big West $11,333,199
Big Sky $9,671,491
Southern $9,499,831
Big South $9,014,941
Horizon League $8,619,016
Northeast $8,479,495
Metro Atlantic $8,401,285
Ohio Valley $8,069,520
MEAC $7,178,790
Summit League $7,123,854
Southland $7,017,045
Atlantic Sun $6,383,582
SWAC $5,224,433
Independents $5,059,803
You can call any program whatever you want, I don't care what your definitions are; I'm done with that argument. But if you're above The Line, I won't talk about you until when you get beat. If you're below The Line, I'll cover you -- like it or not. This will be revisited every summer when the new figures come out and the conferences fall above or below The Line, and we'll plan our coverage accordingly. And in the big picture, of course, whether I talk about your favorite conference or not, or attend its games, is irrelevant.

You still think there's competitive balance in college basketball? You think this is a "democracy?" Sure, maybe one ruled by Reaganomics. In non-conference play this season, when teams from below The Line have played teams from above it, teams above won 91 percent of the time. We tracked that in our Monday Boubacars before the calendar year turned over.

The gap is real. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't mean there isn't one.

Hey, look, I don't like the term "mid-major" either, but it's the term we inherited from previous generations. Do you have a better label for smaller conferences with smaller schools? Let's hear it. It had better be catchier and more descriptive than "non-major" (you thought "mid" was demeaning), "small college" (which could also include Division II) or "low major" (a term we never use around here anyway). Until we come up with a better tag for schools in conferences that spend pennies on the dollar on athletics compared to the big boys, this ridiculous "debate" is never going to end.

http://www.midmajority.com/2008/01/the-red-line.php
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 am

Regarding "the gap is real"....

No arguments here. The Mountain West (Utah's conference) more than doubles the average budget of the WCC. The Mountain West and Conference USA are really in a different category in many sports in my book.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Actually, Kyle (the guy who writes the Mid-Majority) ran the numbers at the end of this season and announced that effective 2010-11, C-USA will be joining the mid-major ranks for purposes of his site.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Official date for Washington... Dec. 6 @ Hec Ed:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2012055808_umen08.html
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 am

Stonehouse wrote:Official date for Washington... Dec. 6 @ Hec Ed:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2012055808_umen08.html

Nice! I thought our contract with them expired...? Did we sign a new one? Any details

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 am

Doubt they agreed to come play us in Portland again... my guess would be it's a one-time deal. But honestly I have no idea.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 Schedule So Far Empty Utah game reported as Dec.31

Post by donigan Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:09 pm

http://www.abc4.com/sports/story/Utes-Utah-Basketball/bK_xXtLiGU6uXIxBe6_Xwg.cspx?rss=24

donigan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down