Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St. Mary's Asst. Coach to Columbia

5 posters

Go down

St. Mary's Asst. Coach to Columbia Empty St. Mary's Asst. Coach to Columbia

Post by PilotNut Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Interesting, as I believe Smith was the key to all the Aussies on the SMC team... will that continue?

LINK

St. Mary’s Kyle Smith hired as Columbia’s coach

NEW YORK (AP)—Columbia hired Saint Mary’s assistant Kyle Smith as its men’s basketball coach on Sunday.

The 40-year-old Smith replaced Joe Jones, who left to become a Boston College assistant.

“I am very excited to be the next head men’s basketball coach at Columbia, one of the nation’s premier universities,” said Smith in a statement.

Smith was an associate head coach on a St. Mary’s team that reached the regional semifinals of this season’s NCAA tournament. The 10th-seeded Gaels of California upset Richmond and second-seeded Villanova before losing to Baylor. It was the school’s first NCAA tournament victory since 1959.

“Columbia University is very proud and excited to name Kyle Smith as our head men’s basketball coach,” said athletic director Dr. M. Dianne Murphy. “Kyle is an outstanding leader and successful recruiter with a terrific basketball mind. We are thrilled to welcome him to Columbia.”

When Smith first arrived at Saint Mary’s in 2001, the team had won only two games in the previous season. Over the past three years, the Gaels have won 81 games—the 10th most in the nation over that span.

Jones was 86-108 overall and 39-59 in the Ivy League in seven years at Columbia. This season, the Lions went 11-17, including 5-9 in the Ivy League. Columbia’s only Ivy League basketball title was in 1967-68.

The Lions return their leading scorer Noruwa Agho, who averaged 16.3 points this season.

Smith, who will be the third new coach in the Ivy League next season, will be introduced at a press conference Wednesday.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

St. Mary's Asst. Coach to Columbia Empty Re: St. Mary's Asst. Coach to Columbia

Post by cjacks14 Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 am

I doubt it will be an issue with the Aussie kids. Randy usually makes an annual trip to the Australian Institute of Sport to smooth talk his way to a few more players. And his other assistant David Patrick used to play professionally in Australia. So i don't think the Australia to Moraga pipeline will dry up any time soon.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 am

I agree with cjacks, Patrick is the one they were always crediting when the games were on tv. hopefully he gets snatched up somewhere...out east.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 am

Chris,

Plus, if I am not mistaken all the ESPN games that St Mary's plays in are broadcast in Australia and are quite a big deal???

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Mon May 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Yeah most of the St Marys WCC games are broadcast on ESPN Australia. Even if they are covered by Comcast. Their coverage is basically to show games with Aussies involved. So their was the odd Santa Clara game (Ben Dowdell) or even a Vanderbilt game (AJ Ogilvy) but St Mary's had the bulk of the coverage. I believe the St Mary's/Santa Clara games were part of a deal with the WCC rather than just St Marys though.

Was great for me that i got to see a couple of Pilots games when i was back home though. Although i do get sick of seeing Randy's bald head. I've never been a fan...
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 am

Chris, does this mean you are back here from OZ?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Thats correct. I'm back in Portland. Couldnt stay away. Next step is getting some $$$ together for some season tix.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 am

Next step is getting some $$$ together for some season tix.
Be sure to check out the young alumni plans.

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 pm

up7587 wrote:
Next step is getting some $$$ together for some season tix.
Be sure to check out the young alumni plans.

In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo - Muchas Gracias
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down