Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

u23's v OSU

+2
BigBro
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

u23's v OSU Empty u23's v OSU

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 am

Oregon state got unlucky against the u23 National team tonight with a hand ball in the box that lead to the only score of the game as the score ended 1-0 for Bill Irwin's squad.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/042210aaa.html

The OSU report called the hand ball "inadvertant". If that were the case, it seems the call shouldn't have been made, since a hand ball has to be "deliberate"
Did anyone go down to see the game?

OSU's Courtney Wenzel played the entire second half for the National team which had a 13-7 edge in shots. OSU lead 4-3 in corners.

No word on which UP players played or how much.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

u23's v OSU Empty Re: u23's v OSU

Post by BigBro Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:17 am

I didn't see the game, but isn't the handball call predicated on "intent or advantage"?

BigBro
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 am

Here's the FIFA rule:

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player
commits any of the following four offences:

• tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact
with the opponent before touching the ball
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his
own penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred. * (see
page 3)
and:
Penalty Kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed
by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position
of the ball, provided it is in play.

There are no other references in the FIFA LOG that don't refer to the keeper, so that's the entire rule for field players.
From my reading, the penalty can only be awarded if it is deliberate, even if there is advantage gained from an inadvertent handling of the ball.

here's an article on the issue from a referees forum:
http://asktheref.com/Soccer/Referee/Articles/7/

which includes the following-

To learn more about the "hand ball," we need to begin by looking inside our FIFA Laws of the Game to see what the rules really are. First of all, unbeknownst to many, there is no such rule as "hand ball." In reality, Law XII states that is illegal if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)" This means that is not, I repeat not, a foul if the ball touches a player's hand. It is only a foul if the player intentionally handles the ball. Therefore, all of those times that a defender kicks the ball right into a player's hand or the ball bounces up and hits an arm, these are not fouls and should not be called.
Let me also emphasize that nowhere does the rule book say anything about whether or not the player gains an advantage by the ball hitting his or her hand. In other words, even if the ball were to hit a player's arm and drop right at his feet or even were to go directly into his opponents' goal, these are not fouls if they were unintentional acts. Apparently, I am not the only one whose feathers have been ruffled by years of bad calls by referees and undeserved abuse from fans. As recently as 1996 FIFA specifically changed the laws to make it very clear that it is only a foul if the player handles the ball deliberately.

Maradona's Mano de DiĆ³s? ... wasn't intentional Very Happy

That's why I asked if anyone on the forum saw it, because either the ref was wrong, or the writer was slamming a call that went against OSU.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am

No doubt it was God, not Diego who moved that hand.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

A_Fan wrote:No doubt it was God, not Diego who moved that hand.

Well, that and Diego was quoted as saying after the game that it was only half his hand - the other half was God's.

There's nothing at all in the rules about divine intervention.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 am

Does anyone know if there will be anyone from UP playing for the U23 team against UP?

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:35 am

Looking at the list of healthy and available UP players, you could expect that the UP players will play for UP against the rest of the u23 team.

It makes sense. You'd get better competition all across the board and Bill would get to see more of his players perform.

UP would be down to close to 14 healthy players, otherwise.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

u23's v OSU Empty Danielle created the PK and scored the lone goal

Post by soccerjoy Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Wanting to check out our three players, I went to the game last night. The starting members for the U-23 included Elli and Keelin playing their usual UP positions and they both played well. Keelin took a freekick just outside the box but barely missed it to the left in the mid way through the first half. Elli was her typical self frequently joining the attack whenever the ball went through the left side and was really effective.

A new set of players including Danielle played in the second half for the U-23. It was Dani's shot attempt from the middle outside the box that created the handball and then she scored on the PK.

Overall, while the U-23 team looked little flat, the OSU players looked much more impressive and improved compared to the the game against us earlier this month. Again the U-23 team didn't look all too overwhelmingly dominating against OSU and they may need to play better against us, or else...

soccerjoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by estplnr Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:30 am

Bill Irwin told me at a baseball game last weekend that all Pilot women would play for the Pilots....Ed

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down