Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruiting Update

+10
stryker29
Harry Redknapp
thepuck
A_Fan
GUPhantom
fuzzywozie
ninjapizza
FANatic
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Recruiting Update - Page 2 Empty Re: Recruiting Update

Post by stryker29 Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:45 pm

In response to Purplegeezers post. Which players do you speak of in the announcement in February? Not sure if this is any kind of violation, just wondering. Thanks.

stryker29
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

No violation. All the names we came up with are on the web someplace. you just have to be pretty resourceful to find them. sometimes the info is on limited access blogs, sometimes club websites, sometimes recruiting websites--it's all somewhere. You know the web---you can't hide anything. The hard part is sifting through a lot of useless stuff.

Stoney came up with four names in the first post of this thread. Olivier and McCluskie have info on personal profiles, and I saw them both on websites earlier in the season but wasn't sure ( I think we both started looking hard when someone else posted about McCluskie). Kreminski was quoted in a web edition of an idaho paper, Burke was recognized by Stoney in a picture along with the others.
Foxhoven (about 5 posts later) we pieced together from information we both had.--all perfectly legal and confirmed this weekend when they were seen having their pictures taken.

Stoney had most of it. I was able to confirm a lot of it independently. Confidence is high.

Thing is- there's one more face apparently, and it's not Burnache, as Stoney first thought. But I have no real idea at this point who it might be.

Back to the drawing board.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 pm

Thanks for the lesson Geezer. I really appreciate your insights on Christine/UNC....and recruiting. Christine/UNC was epecially good stuff. How'd you come to know about that kind of inside information?

I was aware schools could court a player 2 years ahead of time but I did not know they could officially commit while still in their junior year of HS. So if I understand this 2 year recruiting cycle right…if Verloo (for example) does not make a decision to commit to a school her in her junior year…then she’ll literally have to endure the recruiting process all over again her senior year, right? How typical is it for schools to get early commitments from HS juniors? Would it be correct to assume then that Teresa Noyola (for example) was someone who did not commit in her junior year since she is visiting other schools yet in her senior year?

The Pilots are able to recruit nationally but I also believe that its important to sign and keep the best local talent in state. I hope to check out another game with Courtney. She still sparks my interest despite one lackadaisical performance!! I saw little that night….but Y’all be glad to know that my first impression of Courtney was that she seemed to be very Kendra-like. Has a smooth and easy way about her movement on the ball. I haven’t given up on her yet. What can I say? I’m a sucker for potential Pilot talent! Sometimes the movie trailer isn’t as telling as watching the whole movie. Know what I mean? I’m open and excited to watch her play a few more games. So…I’m going to grab some popcorn…sit in the stands and enjoy watching a young woman….who may grow up to someday become a Pilot heroine….play some futbol!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:12 am

Phantom,

The Sinclair stuff isn't any special inside info. Christine was quoted as an aside once in an article that talked about why she came here. Don't ask me where. It was probably around the time Clive died, but I can't be sure. It might even have been in the alumni magazine. (Hint--read a lot of Canadian Newspapers if you want to find out about Christine-there's no end to articles.)

What I described as the recruiting cycle teams and players go through is done that way so players and teams know where they stand.

The key is that there is only one commitment that obligates a player. That's the Letter of Intent. The NCAA considers that a contract. Everything else is just talk. There is no official verbal commitment, as such. it's something some teams have players do, but it has no power. a player can back out anytime before the signing. There are two signing periods. One just passed, the second happens in February. Signing periods are just for players in 2008.

All the other stuff is mostly so coaches and players aren't hospitalized with anxiety attacks wondering what's going to happen. Teams usually ask for a private commitment by February (Earlier, really, so they can shape the new team), then maybe expect a verbal (public) sometime later, then a letter of intent in the first signing period the next fall unless there are special circumstances (academic, etc.) By the second signing period the next February, it's all over but the waiting. Some schools (UP is apparently one) don't really bother with the public verbal. It's not binding, and could be perceived as coercive-not a good way to start a relationship. A kid can speak up if they want (Kreminski did), but don't have to . Most of it is based on trust, but when UP officially announces the 2008 class in February (or sooner), the 2009 class is surely lined up- very few exceptions. The rest of the year is so kids get comfortable with their decision.

The whole process is in the NCAA handbook- article 13. There's also a recruiting timetable on the NCAA website that's geared towards parents and recruits.

There are rules for the first time you can speak to a player, watch a player, approach a player, Phone a player, offer a visit, what you can and can't do on a visit, how followups can and can't be done etc. etc.
There's also a period where no contact is allowed.
Good programs do that stuff right on time and right to the letter. if they are allowed visits from Sept 1 to October 15, the visit will be Sept 1. so there's time to fall back to someone else if the first recruit doesn't work out.

The first visit allowed this year for players for 2009 was the weekend of Sept. 1. Let's see.... when was the Florida State game?

As to Noyola, she might be able to stretch the process out if she's exceptional and a team thinks that they are close enough to landing her that it's worth passing up other good players while they wait. For most players, it's just too risky. If you wait too long, there may not be a spot. Schools often tell players there's an offer, but it's not open ended. If a player doesn't decide, they'll drop the offer and try for another player before they are all gone. I'll bet it's more likely that Noyola already knows where she wants to go. She's just shopping to make sure or wants a backup. In her particular case, I've seen stuff on the web that she's practiced a lot with Stanford players and wants to go there. Maybe there is an academic issue that's being resolved. (Stanford is hard to get into, but I read she's a bright kid).

Stanford fans are pretty confident (or they are delusional). That was before she saw a UP crowd. We'll see.

I might have to sneak out of the Retirement Castle and see Verloo play....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:23 pm

Professor Geezer...I've throughly enjoyed your presentation on recruiting! I've learned so much. Knowledge is power. Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired to become a well-informed fan...all the better to keep up with you guys. Talk about cruve breakers...the RPI-speak on another topic might take me a little longer to consume! Give me a chance to brushup on Article 13 first! study
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Phantom,
Not a full proffessor yet. The PHD is in the mail--at least that's what 5 Minute University Chancellor Guido Sarducci said.Very Happy

If you at least skim through the chapters, it explains why schools do stuff that leave you going "whaaa????"

I've said "Whaa??" so many times I finally decided to try and understand it. I"m not there yet, but when there's not any news in recruiting though you know there should be, or a kid gets dropped off the team without explanation, or seeding seems really screwwy, It's all in the rules.

You just have to figure them out.

I'm still working on the new explanations on the RPI-- That might be Post-doc stuff. Smile
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Purplegeezer - I am guilty of giving you the tip on Kassandra McCluskie. (I believe it was my very first post on this board.) I got the news from a highly placed source who told me the commitment was both firm and public. I am happy if I inspired you and Stonehouse to pursue this so tenaciously as you both have. Cool

Regarding the recruiting of Christine Sinclair: Brian Gant, a former Portland Timber and Christine's uncle, played the matchmaker role in this. We should all give thanks to Brian for what he helped give to both his niece and the Pilots' Soccer Program. It was Clive who stated, in essence, that Anson Dorrance was chasing Christine all over the country to try and add yet another monster to his program at UNC. For once the legendary coach failed. It was truly a seminal moment for the program when she commited to UP.

Since we have discussed 2009's local phenom, Courtney Verloo, as much as we have, why not discuss another 2009 local recruit: Kendall Johnson, center-midfielder for state-leading Lincoln. Kendall just happened to be sitting next to Verloo at the Florida State game on 9/1. She was a second team all-state selection last year as a sophomore. Does anyone want to shed some light on Kendall, or do our search gurus need another challenge? I would like to know more about Kendall.

Geezer - If Courtney and Kendall were at the first game together on the first date you can make an official visit, does this mean they both have been offered by UP?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:11 pm

FANatic,

You definitely got the ball rolling on McCluskie for me. The quest isn't over yet. there's the Mysterious ms X.
I think we all had little bits and pieces, it wasn't until Stoney stuck his neck out with what he new that what I knew clicked -same with your info.

About Sinclair--See guys? I didn't make it up, I just had horrible recollection of the details. Wink

I don't think anybody has overlooked Kendall, we just don't know anything yet.

Really, when it comes to local players- I don't work as hard. There are just too many people looking around here. about all you really need to do is subscribe to the school newspapers online.

All the players were probably told UP wanted them. After all, we spent money to bring them here, you don't do that if you don't want them. I'm sure that if the girls were enthusiastic, there was an offer with that first round of players. As I think about it, they probably had offers before they showed up and the visit was to help them make up their minds.--My guess anyway.

I know a local player who went through the recruiting dance at another NW school. It went something like this:
"do you want to come here?"
"are you offering?"
"Depends on whether you want to come"
"I only want to come if you want me"
etc. etc.

sometimes it's hard to make the first move.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:46 am

Once again, great insight Geezer. I tend to be a black and white person - but you have illustrated to me that the recruiting process is as gray and dynamic as could be. But that makes sense - because that is how life and business generally work. No real road map. Just general guidelines and the rest is play as you go. (I hope the last couple sentences made sense.) Smile

Your understanding of the recruiting process is giving alot of us some real genuine knowledge. I hate fuzzy areas. You've really clarified this for me.

Thanks also to Stonehouse for all your research and everyone else who has contributed. This must be an important topic - have you seen the number of posts and views? Possibly a record for this forum? Kudos as well for Stonehouse, who started this wildly popular thread wth some great Sherlock Holmes sleuthing.

Stoney - when I get the time and energy I hope to answer your plea for more info on these 2008 recruits you have given us. I can't tell you how relieved and excited I was to read that original post and see all those wonderful names!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Here's a little tidbit that came out today on Halley Kreminski
http://www.idahostatesman.com/highschoolsports/story/185042.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Nice article on Halley, Geez. I did a little sleuthing myself and found out that her high school team lost in the state championship match a few days after your article appeared, 1-0 to Timberline.

Halley seems to usually score alot of goals and gets plenty of assists. Do you or anyone else know if she is an attacking midfielder or if she is doing it from the wing? (In one 6-0 win, Halley had two goals and four assists! That means she was in on all six goals. I don't know what her season totals were after the play-offs, but she must have been near the top in the state rankings for points.)

Question: It has been stated several times that pictures were taken at the Santa Clara match of the 2008 recruits. Was it five or six recruits? Can anyone confirm that five of the recruits were definitely the faces of the five recruits that Stonehouse, PurpleGeezer, fuzzywozie and FANatic discovered for this board? (Kreminski, Burke, Olivier, McCluskie and Foxhoven?) (I hope I didn't leave anybody out who has discovered 2008 recruits for us.)

It sounds like Olivier and Foxhoven may be the cream of the bunch? True? Not true? I believe it was Geezer who mentioned Foxhoven in the same breath as Angie. However, fuzzywozie, I believe, seemed to be saying that Charney Burke was the possible replacement for WOZ! Garrett looking for a little competition for Angie's job next August?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Recruiting Update - Page 2 Empty Attention: Posters Interested In 2008 Recruits!

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 pm

This is a first for me. I am actually replying to my own post. However I am doing so because my last post on this thread is very important to me and no one yet has replied to it. I am afraid it is going to get buried by the newer posts. So I bring Stonehouse's original topic back to the top of the pile to hopefully elicit responses from anyone interested in this topic. (Like me!)

So please read, if you haven't already, my previous post from last Friday, Nov 2, 7:04 pm. Specifically, I would like to know if anyone can confirm that the five players we have identified, listed above in previous post, are the players that were having their picture taken at the SC game. Was their a sixth player in that group? (The mysterious Ms. X, as I believe we will have six open roster spots next season. Correct me if I am wrong on that, please.)

Finally - these five players are incredible! My research is limited compared to most of you (old age, you know). But I looked for Charney Burk because of what fuzzywozie said about her. Wowie! She was in camp with the U-20 team last February, a team that includes Pilots' Enyeart,
Chandhoke and Reed. And Charney was only 16 years old!!! Perhaps with her and Danielle Foxhoven, we'll have TWO new Wozzie's next season. My goodness, who is that sixth recruit? The bar is set so high now I can't even see it.......
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Howdy!

I’m a newbie here, and this is my first post!

Back on 11/1, FANatic included the following in a post on this topic:

Since we have discussed 2009's local phenom, Courtney Verloo, as much as we have, why not discuss another 2009 local recruit: Kendall Johnson, center-midfielder for state-leading Lincoln. Kendall just happened to be sitting next to Verloo at the Florida State game on 9/1. She was a second team all-state selection last year as a sophomore. Does anyone want to shed some light on Kendall, or do our search gurus need another challenge? I would like to know more about Kendall.

I watched the local Lincoln HS girls’ soccer team both last Saturday at South Salem and tonight at home against Lake Oswego. Lincoln looks like a mini-version of the Lady Pilots. Team concept, adept passing, enjoyable to watch. They will play Central Catholic on Saturday for the 6A girls’ championship.

Kendall Johnson, mentioned in the quote above, looks like a young Wozie directing the Lincoln offense. She is a true playmaker in the middle. Plays aggressively on both sides of the ball. She would be an asset to any program. And the team is FUN to watch if you like the Pilots style of offense.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:59 pm

woah!

Where's the game? OK show of hands--anybody NOT want to see UP style soccer and a young wozie?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:17 am

Thank you, UPWomenSoccerRookie, for the info on Kendall. This definitely is a help to me, as I try to learn as much as possible about recruits considering playing for the Pilots. From your assessment, she sounds very impressive.

Great first post and welcome to this loyal group of Pilot fans! Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:21 am

Lincoln's coach is former UP men's player Brandon MacNeil, so maybe some of his "Pilot way of doing things" has rubbed off on the team! Smile

Actually, I remember seeing somewhere that the Lincoln team has been ranked nationally as one of the best high school teams in the country. Some of those nationwide prep rankings are kind of phony (I mean, how can you REALLY know if a team in Alabama is better than a team in Oregon?), but no matter what it's a high compliment to the program.

You know... it would be interesting to study the impact of former Pilots on club and prep soccer in the Northwest. I have the feelings that many, many former players are still very involved... and you know it's great for the coaches when they have a network of former players who can help scout for new players and whose judgement they can trust.

Clive Charles... that guy was on to something, wasn't he?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:47 am

Here's a little tidbit on Courney Verloo from Rise Magazine while we wait to see what she decides..

http://tinyurl.com/yvh6bn

Her coaches sure think she's the real deal.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 am

Stoney,

Brandon being the coach sure helps explain Lincoln's success. He wasn't particularly fast as an outside defender when he played, but he was one of the smartest soccer players to don a Pilot's uniform. He understood how to play even as a freshman.

Makes me want to see that game even more..
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:45 am

guphantom,
i believe that the highest rated recruit the pilots ever signed was kylie barton from tualitan. forgive me for not knowing off hand what year she signed, but i believe she was the #2 recruit in the country. in a previous thread i mentioned she was one of my all time favorite pilots. i'm sure if my information is wrong i will be corrected as this is a very knowledgable board.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 am

dont ask me where, but i know i read somewhere that sinclair was heavily recruited by unc. also read that her deciding points were that her uncles, brian an bruce gant played with clive with the nasl portland timbers played an they still lived in portland. an portland was a lot closer to vancouver,bc then north carolina is.

as far as recruitment goes, i have absolutely no idea about the rules an when you can an cannot get a commitment. that being said, last year i saw recruits the pilots had brought in for a game an i was struck by the resemblance by one of the recruits to tiffeny. after the match i asked someone in the know who she was. when i didnt see said recruit at the season ticket holders preview, i asked where she went. that's when i asked where she signed. i was told she had committed to the pilots...for next year. her name is charney burk an an i am excited about her committment simply because the person i talked to is.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Thanks Fozziewozzie.

Tualatin HS has given us a couple of good ones, huh? Kaylie Barton and Natalie Budge. I was surprised by Natalie's statistics. I thought she had an "average" career at UP...BUT BOY...did her numbers prove me wrong! I was "pleasantly" surprised! Next to Tiffeny, she's become one of the best representatives for local talent to don a Pilot uniform! Good for her! Bravo!

We might see a another T-Wolve become a Pilot for 2009, eh? I went to see Courtney Verloo play again. This time it was one of the playoff games verus Clackamas. I only was there for the first half though. It was also the same night of the LMU game...(and Senior night). But, at least I got a chance to (preview?) the future...and then watch a great bunch of seniors finish out their careers at UP! That's a pretty complete day for a Pilot fan, huh?

Unfortunately, I didn't see enough of the game to gauge her performance and report anything significant. I did learn that Clackamas had ended Tualatin's defense of its State Championship! I didn't study the HS bracket very hard....but I definitely would have set some time aside if Tualatin and Courtney....advanced to play Lincoln and Kendall!! That would've been a markee game to watch, huh?

I remember reading about Christine's recruiting story too! Geezer had reminded me of a tidbit that Coach Dorrance had offered her a full scholarship if she went to UNC...something he rarely does. We're so lucky. I think in that same article Christine talked about accepting and making a visit to Nebraska. I don't know....I think Christine wears Purple a lot better than Red or Carolina Blue...Yuk! 🐰

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:07 pm

think Christine wears Purple a lot better than Red or Carolina Blue

Well, actually, I think she looks pretty good in red now playing for Canada.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 pm

i believe the highest recruit the pilots ever signed was kylie bartion. parade magazine rated her #2 in her class behind a gal from either yakima or the tri-cities areas, i cant remember other then she was from the state of washington.

kylie was from tualitan an was best friends w/vanessa talbot from lake oswego who also came to u of p. the two of them together were such a joy to watch, a contrast in styles but perfectly complimetry to each other.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:53 pm

the coach quoted, kristin bruce is actually the former krsiten eaton who has won a state champiomshisp. clive lives!!

the coach quotedthKreminski leads Eagle's bid for third soccer title in four seasons
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Recruiting Update - Page 2 Empty 1000 Views!

Post by FANatic Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:45 am

1000 views - I'm guessing this is an all-time high. Any one care to answer me and become the 50th post? I'm sure that's a record, too. cheers

(Trivial today? Yeah, but what the heck. I need a distraction or two today! I feel more butterflies creeping in. I fear by gametime I may be in the hospital having my stomach pumped.) pale
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next