Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reveno interviews for Boise State job

+11
IronLions
PurplePrideTrumpet
cjacks14
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
pilotram
Geezaldinho
mikemac65
VikThunder
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reveno interviews for Boise State job Empty Reveno interviews for Boise State job

Post by VikThunder Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Reveno interviews for Boise State job

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_portlands_eric_re.html

VikThunder
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

Reveno interviews for Boise State job Empty Re: Reveno interviews for Boise State job

Post by mikemac65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm

This would be a huge blow to UP basketball if he leaves. The recruits can get out of their LOIs. I hope this doesn't happen. If it does maybe we would keep Sobotka as head coach? Crying or Very sad Sign-Danger

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Reveno interviews for Boise State job Empty Re: Reveno interviews for Boise State job

Post by VikThunder Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 pm

mikemac65 wrote:This would be a huge blow to UP basketball if he leaves. The recruits can get out of their LOIs. I hope this doesn't happen. If it does maybe we would keep Sobotka as head coach? Crying or Very sad Sign-Danger

Sobotka as replacement was my first thought too. Hope Reveno stays.

VikThunder
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

mikemac65 wrote: The recruits can get out of their LOIs.

No, they can't. Not unless UP releases them or they transfer and sit a year.

Relax, it's just an interview. it doesn't mean he's going anywhere (I hope). Let's hope it's a chance to re-negotiate a long term deal.

Why would he go someplace that just fired a winning coach, especially if that place isn't a step up?

I feel a lot better about this interview than if it was Stanford.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Hm. This means he's considered other opportunities.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by VikThunder Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Would Boise State pay more? Remember Boise State may get an invite to join the MWAC.

VikThunder
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:18 pm

There may be other dominos in play. Per an article LINK posted at KREM.com, a Few assistant Leon Rice is a finalist for BSU. But if UO takes Few, Rice would take over at GU.
Leon Rice is a finalist for the head coaching at Boise State University. Why is that important? Rice is in line to take over at Gonzaga if Few leaves for another job. If Rice ends up going to coach the Broncos, then don't expect Few to go anywhere. Rice would much rather be at Gonzaga than at Boise State and if he leaves that means he realizes he won't becoming head coach at GU anytime soon.
I guess that means we need to root for Few to stay and Rice to go to BSU if we want Rev to stay at UP. For now.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Man, I really hope this is just Rev's way of gaining some leverage in negotiations with UP... facilities, Asst. Coaching salaries, etc... and/or a courtesy to BSU... maybe testing the waters to see how his deal with UP stacks up.

Can you blame a guy for listening when someone comes knocking? This is something we will need to get used to as the program builds, unfortunately...

pale

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm

The University's stance on recruits wanting to opt out of their LOIs would ,I should think, be to honor their requests.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:00 pm

I don't know if it is true but I heard from somebody that Rev is the lowest paid WCC Men's bball coach.

He deserves a nice fatty extension either way. We need to keep him for the long haul.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

This is actually kind of cool. The last time somebody tried to get one of our coaches was when Uconn went after Clive.

Look at it as a sign of progress.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:26 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:I don't know if it is true but I heard from somebody that Rev is the lowest paid WCC Men's bball coach.

He deserves a nice fatty extension either way. We need to keep him for the long haul.

It would be nice to give the man a raise, but, unfortunately the lowest paid coach in the WCC probably makes more $ than the highest paid professor. I think that one way or another we'll have an opportunistic, talented coach next year. I'd prefer that it be Rev, but, the fact that Seattle U. got someone as good as Cameron Dollar (who recruited future pro, Garcia) gives me some hope...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 am

Idaho Statesman Article:

Portland coach interviews for Boise State men's basketball job

Eric Reveno, the head coach at Portland, interviewed Sunday for the vacant Boise State job, a source told The Oregonian newspaper on Wednesday.

Reveno, 44, has a 58-69 career record at the West Coast Conference school but has led the Pilots to back-to-back winning seasons and a pair of appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

Neither Reveno nor Portland athletic director Larry Williams returned calls to The Idaho Statesman this week.

"We think Coach Rev is a great coach and we hope he's our coach here for a long time," Williams told The Oregonian. "I think the record speaks for itself in what he's done here."

Reveno is a former player at Stanford, and he joined the Cardinal coaching staff in 1997.

Reveno is the second candidate confirmed to interview for the job that came open when BSU fired Greg Graham on March 12.

Former Idaho Stampede coach Larry Krystkowiak also has interviewed. Sources have told The Statesman that at least four people have interviewed for the job.

One potential candidate - Weber State coach Randy Rahe - agreed to a contract extension with the Wildcats, The (Ogden, Utah) Standard-Examiner reported Wednesday.

The extension runs through the 2016-17 season. The Standard-Examiner reported that Boise State asked permission to speak with Rahe, a former Utah State assistant who has a 77-47 record at Weber State and three Big Sky Conference championships.

The Statesman also has confirmed that Gonzaga assistant coach Leon Rice is interested in the job, and that Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier has asked permission to speak with Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett and associate head coach Kyle Smith, who is interested in the job.

The Gaels, though, are playing in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16 on Friday in Houston against Baylor.

Bleymaier isn't commenting on candidates.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am

So basically they just read what the Oregonian and that overzealous bald guy wrote and re-hashed it? (Can this just be over with either way? I hate anticipation for things like this...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:58 am

DaTruRochin wrote:So basically they just read what the Oregonian and that overzealous bald guy wrote and re-hashed it? (Can this just be over with either way? I hate anticipation for things like this...)
Plus, it may make for an awkward moment or two at the basketball banquet Sunday evening.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:01 pm

So, who is going to go dressed up in a giant elephant costume and sit in the corner of the room??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Everybody relax its gonna be ok.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:02 pm

cjacks14 wrote:Everybody relax its gonna be ok.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963
It's okay for us. Now we will see how Gonzaga handles this change.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm

I was happy to read Rice got the BSU job. Rev is great for the WCC and of course for the Pilots.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow, I hope this is true...

Cheers!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 pm

If true another good day in Pilotland. Reveno stays, Butler beats Syracuse,(I'm going to luv seeing how bulldoggy fans rationalize that one). Now if the Ivy leagues Cornell team can give those Semi-Professional college athletes from Kentucky a good game it will be complete Very Happy .

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Great night for Butler. Now I want Xavier to beat K State and guarantee a mid-major in the Final 4.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 pm

We need to hope the economy stays sucky and Stanford's endowment stays down.

When it picks back up, their AD will decide they can buy out Johnny Dawkin's contract and pay off the new football stadium nobody goes to at the same time.

At that point, we can hope Rev has built up the program enough that it will carry on at a higher level.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:\ those Semi-Professional college athletes from Kentucky a good game

Mesa, I think we both know, there is no "semi" in front of any team Coach Cal has ever led...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:54 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:Now if the Ivy leagues Cornell team can give those Semi-Professional college athletes from Kentucky a good game it will be complete Very Happy .
lol!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next