Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women in the post-season, too!

+5
A_Fan
DaTruRochin
girlhoops
RiseUP
PilotNut
9 posters

Go down

Women in the post-season, too! Empty Women in the post-season, too!

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Congrats to the Pilots who will be playing in the inaugural WBI tournament!

UP Release

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The Portland Pilots have been invited to play in the inaugural Women’s Basketball Invitation and will play the Washington Huskies in a first round game at Bank of America Arena in Seattle, Wash., on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. The Pilots, who are 18-12 overall and went 7-7 in the West Coast Conference, are making their second straight post-season appearance after advancing to the WNIT last season.

The WBI is a post-season tournament broken into two regions with eight teams in each region. All teams will play under a single-elimination format on campus sites with the higher seed hosting games each round.

The sixth-seeded Pilots have already registered the most wins in a season since going 19-9 during the 1997-98 campaign. The Huskies, a No. 3 seed, are 12-17 this season and went 7-12 in the Pac-10 Conference.

The winner of the UP-UW match-up advances to the second round and will play the winner between Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Cal State Bakersfield. Memphis is the No. 1 seed in the West Region, while Appalachian State was awarded the top seed in the East.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Women in the post-season, too! Empty Re: Women in the post-season, too!

Post by RiseUP Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 am

PilotNut wrote:Congrats to the Pilots who will be playing in the inaugural WBI tournament!

UP Release

The Huskies, a No. 3 seed, are 12-17 this season and went 7-12 in the Pac-10 Conference.

This seems a little ridiculous. However, congrats to the UP women nonetheless!

Last edited by PilotNut on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote)

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

Agreed... the seeding is pretty crazy, and I am thinking the seeds were drawn up purely to match schools geographically, and not based on any traditional ranking methodology.

None the less, this is better than no post-season at all...!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by girlhoops Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 am

It went by the RPI...UW is 143 and UP is 157

Who picks and seeds the teams?

The WBI Advisory Committee will; they are Theresa Grentz, Jill Hutchinson, Joe Ciampi, Caren Horstmeyer and Mary Hile-Nepfel and WBI Executive Director, Emily Bauer. At their discretion, the comittee will use their expertise, RPI, Sagarin, strength of schedule, quality wins and end of season trends.

girlhoops
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:45 am

Well, I guess if the Oregon State Brother-In-Laws can make a tourney at 14-17, why not the Huskies??

I agree, any time you have a chance to play in the post season, it is a good thing. A great experience for the team, and a nice building block for the future!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Portland State beat Washington this season and the Pilots beat Portland State. I know not always an indication of the current match-up, I'm just pointing it out.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Oddly enough, Portland State will be playing Texas A&M in Seattle Saturday in the NCAA first round. They will face either North Carolina or Gonzaga in the second round after they beat the Aggies.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Was at the PSU-UW game. UW is dirty...but didn't we know that already.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

UW 75 - 44 UP. Wow. A very ugly end to the season. LINK.

Sounds like the women didn't want to play in the game. Not sure what that says about the team or the coaching staff. But this season did not end well, from losing to a lower seed in Vegas, to this debacle. No

Back to top Go down

Post by girlhoops Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 am

It was ugly.

Don't think they didn't want to play in the game, a player always wants to play in games. They had an idea they were going to play somewhere while in vegas and were given a week off. How can you play at this level with a week off. Shame on someone for this. Also there is a big difference in size of players. Not talent, but size. How can you have a player 160 play with someone that is 250. We have players playing in the wrong position. Real D1 schools have their players at school all summer, working on their game, ask that little school out east. All we can hope for is a big change with the coaches and players. They should have won at least 24 games this year. Also hope there is more support for the girls. There is no reason why we only have a few low hundred fans in the stands. And yes I was at every home game.

girlhoops
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Girl Hoops you may have hit upon something: "real d1 schools" are different than the faux one on the Bluff. No doubt the false sense of the level of play caused great confusion among the players on the court.

You may be right that it is time for a change at the helm. But your post implies a sense of entitlement. Remember, but for Tittle 9, which I support btw, you would not have to endure the low turnouts. You might even have to write a check or two for the privilege of attaining a college educartion.

I attended a few of the games, so I guess it is not so obvious to me that the coaching staff was inattentive or failed to give appropriate effort. Correct if I am wrong, but Sollars has had some success in the past, hasn't he? I also thought he was about to retire in any event . . .

The receipt of a fully paid college scholarship is nothing to scoff at, even if one wishes the program was in a better state. I congratualate the women's efforts this year, notwithstanding the great challenges.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by girlhoops Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm

The only sence of entitlement is to have the best for the school and team. Title 9 has been here along time and no need to bring it up. I am a fan of womens sports and go to PSU games also. Wish I had the smarts to get into a school like we have but I missed that part. Nothing wrong with the D1 comment, but lets treat all womens sport on the bluff like womens soccer. FIRST CLASS. Coach Sollers is a first class and stand up gentleman. Coach has had some success the past 2 years, but having a winning season 9 of the last 24 years. That would never happen with another team on the bluff, so I guess there is an entitlement to put the best we can get for the school and ladies. Has nothing to do with receipt of a fully paid college scholarship. The ladies did a great job this year with what they were given. I cant wait till next year cause it does look good for the girls.

girlhoops
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I agree that it would be great if we treated all women's sports like soccer. But both financially, from the Athletic Department's view, and "We can only go to so many events" from the Fans perspective, it is not possible.

It is not just women's sports. I am a big hockey fan (growing up in Detroit). But I have only watched a handful of NHL games over the past few years, since I only have so much time. If pressed I could probably only name a few of the players on my Red Wings at the moment.
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down