Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland 74, Santa Clara 52

+3
MesaPilot1
mattywizz
PilotNut
7 posters

Go down

Portland 74, Santa Clara 52 Empty Portland 74, Santa Clara 52

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Oregonian Recap

Portland 74, Santa Clara 52: Win (and Bulldogs' loss) puts Pilots in race for first

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The Portland Pilots had just finished off a 74-52 victory over Santa Clara on Saturday night, but instead of a celebration, everybody was looking for updates on their phones or computers.

Because at that moment, 50 miles up the road, Gonzaga was losing in overtime to San Francisco.

Suddenly, the Pilots (14-7, 5-2 West Coast Conference) are in the middle of a three-way battle for first place with the Bulldogs and Saint Mary's. On Thursday, Portland will travel to Spokane with a chance to move into a tie for first place in the WCC.

"They're going to be coming after us," Jared Stohl said. "They're going to be upset and coming right at us."

Stohl will be one of the keys. He scored 16 points on Saturday to lead the Pilots, hitting four three-pointers to break the school record for his career -- he now has 212, one more than Casey Frandsen. In four games since leading scorer Nik Raivio went out with a strained right Achilles tendon, Stohl has averaged 18.5 points.

Portland had little trouble with the Broncos (9-15, 1-6), breaking open a close game midway through the first half and cruising to the victory. The Pilots shot 63 percent in the first half (15 of 24) and built a 42-22 lead at the break.

T.J. Campbell had 13 points for Portland and Luke Sikma came off the bench to score 15 points and grab a game-high 12 rebounds.

"We like Luke coming off the bench because he gives us an energy, a spark," Stohl said. "Scoring, rebounding, he just brings our team up as soon as he comes in."

Said Sikma, who had no idea his numbers were so big: "Wow, OK. I just came out, I got a bucket early. I actually came out and had a couple of turnovers that I wasn't happy with. But I settled down. Shots were falling for me, so I started looking for it, I tried to stay aggressive. My teammates were doing a great job of finding me."

Portland was never threatened by Santa Clara after the opening minutes. The Pilots turned the ball over 15 times -- a little too loosey-goosey for coach Eric Reveno -- but their defense was outstanding. The Broncos shot just 36 percent for the game (18 of 50) and were outrebounded, 38-28.

"I told our guys when we defend like that, we're tough to beat," Reveno said. "On the road, you've got to dig in and defend. They came out and boy, they disrupted us defensively. We couldn't run offense, we couldn't do anything, turned it over a bunch."

Now, it's off to the Kennel. Reveno said don't read too much into the Bulldogs' struggles this week in the Bay Area.

"It's a long season," he said. "The fact that they take everyone's best shot so well night-in and night-out, is amazing to me. I think maybe it's just a matter that they're on the road and a younger team, these guys aren't used to this as much.

"I think they're pretty good in the Kennel, I don't think they'll be much less on Thursday."

--Damin Esper

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland 74, Santa Clara 52 Empty Re: Portland 74, Santa Clara 52

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Broadcast next week from the Kennel is on ESPN2, so Mesa should be happy. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:57 am

Oregonian Recap

The Pilots turned the ball over 15 times -- a little too loosey-goosey for coach Eric Reveno -- but their defense was outstanding. The Broncos shot just 36 percent for the game (18 of 50) and were outrebounded, 38-28.

Now that is a writer who knows his days at the newspaper are numbered.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:44 am

up7587 wrote:Broadcast next week from the Kennel is on ESPN2, so Mesa should be happy. Laughing

I'm JACKED UP SO HIGH IT'S GONNA BE IN 1080 WITH Stephen Bardo most likely providing color comentary. He actually says some pertinent facts,and has been to more than one WCC game before.He has a somewhat different of a sense of humor though it may not be to everyones likeing I can deal with it. Always gotta luv my fellow BIG TEN(Ex-Illini) men.

What a relief , a TV game, yea haa Party!!!

We are the U of P! You Can Not Stop Us! Goal Celebration!

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,,,)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4life Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

[b]In four games since leading scorer Nik Raivio went out with a strained right Achilles tendon, Stohl has averaged 18.5 points.

What did Jared average before? It seems to me that he should get to play more.
pilotfan4life
pilotfan4life
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 pm

I want to say it was around 10-11 ppg (I'm to lazy to do the math), but yeah obviously he's shown he can produce with the extra time. The only problem is he definitely gives up size on the defensive end and he isn't nearly as adept at creating his own shot as Nik, come to think of it Nik is really our only guy (except for maybe TJ) who can consistently create looks off the dribble.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Pilot Nation: For anyone who was at both the USF and Santa Clara games--how was the UP supporters' turnout for the Bronco game compared with the Dons game?

Just curious . . thanks......

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by stanpilot Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Slick, I'd say Pilot fans increased by 30-40% at Santa Clara. Seemed to be a more vocal crowd at Santa Clara, but maybe that's because I was sitting with them rather than across the way. Of course, Ethan's family and friends were there. Great support from those guys.

A few game balls that I'd like to give out, in addition to the coaching staff who continues to get these guys prepared and motivated.
* Jared - was in a zone in the 2nd half of USF and so solid against SCU. He's definitely improved his strength over the last 2 years and enables him to go inside, be tough on D.
* TJ - he set the tone in the 1st half of USF. his could penetrate at will with his speed and was key when the rest of the team wasn't very sharp early.
* Luke - 14 rebounds were huge against USF. and he was the Man inside against SCU. 15 and 12, 5-6 from the line. wow
* Jasonn - his 10 minutes against SCU were the best minutes I've seen out of him in a Pilot uniform. his first possession was shaky and then he responded. defensively he was aggressive and he looked like he was ready when the ball got in his hands.

i was worried how the SCU would react after the GU game. they came out flying defensively and hit some outside shots. up by 5 early and seemed pumped. but the pilots had 4 great possessions scoring on all of them, getting up to the 12 minute TV timeout. just realizing they (SCU) were down by 1 after playing really well just seemed to take the life out of them. SCU scored 5 points the rest of the half.

stanpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down