Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm

4 posters

Go down

Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm Empty Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm

Post by FANatic Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 am

As important as the Santa Clara match is on Sunday, tonight is the most important soccer match of the season so far. The Toreros have an 11 game unbeaten streak going - which means they're doing a lot of things right. Winning is contagious and confidence building. You start to believe that you cannot lose. It will take the Pilots all their might to control this game, get the goal(s) necessary, and play lockdown, and hopefully shutout, defense for the full 90.

We can't afford any defensive breakdowns. We must attack, attack, attack. And find ways to finish. (Get greedy, don't make too many cute passes. Just move the ball around and then slam one into the back of the net.)

Is anyone familiar with San Diego or their coach? Please feel free to add any insight that may better help our understanding of our opponent tonight. I know the horrific wildfires down there have some players minds drifting form soccer to what's really important. However, I have no doubt that they will put all that aside and play terrific soccer tonight. We must match and exceed their energy and determination.

The Pilots control their own destiny as of right now. Lose tonight, and that all goes up in smoke. (I know, we will still have other chances to earn a tourney bid. But controlling your own destiny is always preferable, and usually what champions are determined to do.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm Empty Re: Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm

Post by Stonehouse Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:05 am

Today's O article, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1193294148323110.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

It mainly focuses on the fires in San Diego... it's hard not to feel sorry for those poor girls wondering if their homes and families are going to be OK. Must be hard to focus on the game.

Anyway, I didn't know that USD was shut down all week and that they were using it as a temporary sheltor... it's hard to imagine what it must be like for all those students down there.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm Empty Re: Let The Battle Begin - USD @ Pilots Tonight! 10/25 8pm

Post by FANatic Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:58 am

Right on, Stonehouse. Kind of puts things into perspective. Sports are meaningless when you look at the reality of the nightmare happening down there. Sounds like Wozzie's from that area and it's weighing on her, as well.

However, one thing sports can be is a great distraction. At least these ladies are breathing relative clean air and can push some of their worries aside for a couple hours anyway. We can and should feel for them. However, when the match begins, it's "pedal to the metal" time.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Of course, of course... they are here to play, and when the whistle blows, it's game on. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm with you homies!! This game is going to be very telling on where the Pilots are. Its the BIG BIG Mid-Term test! Time has run out for tuning-up! The team has been "preparing" all season...to ready themselves...for this weekend...versus San Diego and Santa Clara! Its the first check point and prize to the College Cup! Its put up or shutup time!

Lets seize the moment Pilots and ace this test!

Hoorah!!!!

GO PILOTS!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Homies??
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:45 pm

Main Entry: 2homey
Variant(s): or homĀ·ie \ˈhō-mē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural homeys or homies
Etymology: by shortening & alteration
Date: 1944
: homeboy

Oh Yah Geezer! Homie...aka...Pilot Homeboys, Pilot Crew, Pilot Gang , Pilot Fan, Pilot Family, Pilot Nation...whatever!!

Its all about the love we share for the Portland Pilots! It was a great win against USD tonight! Good show at Merlo! Hoped the TV audience enjoyed that performance!

The Pilots ACED their test!.... A + + + +

One + for each goal...get it? Sorry...Just being silly...I'm feeling really good tonight about the win and especially how we won! Few words about the game...the only way to describe what I saw is with a big Smile! Very Happy

Oh..one more dumb analogy about the game...the Pilots put a CHILL on the Tereros tonight...didn't they? If not them...the weather surely did it!!! Man..it was COLD out there tonight, huh??

Last edited by on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 pm

GUPhantom,

Thanks for the clarification. With this new knowledge I'll be better able to function in the world.

I totally get the big smile part. My jaw is starting to hurt. Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 am

I'm with you, GUPhantom! I read your first post before the match, and wanted to reply, but didn't have time. It was time for me to hit the road and go freeze my tail off at the game! You hit the nail on the head - first real BIG test of season. No more tuning up. It's put up or shut up time.

To be honest, for the first time this season I started getting nervous about the game sometime in the afternoon. Obviously, I am very emotionally invested with this team. I only mention this because I stopped being so involved with teams years ago, because I had no control over whether they won or lost, and I was tired of being down after losses. This team is just different. I am involved and plan to stay that way. Cool
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down