Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid-Majority Comments

+5
ShipstadPilot11
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
mattywizz
9 posters

Go down

Mid-Majority Comments Empty Mid-Majority Comments

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:32 pm

One Team: Portland

As long ago as August, we began hearing about how "loaded" the field is at the 76 Classic in Anaheim. We heard about West Virginia, Minnesota, Clemson, UCLA, and even Butler. The tournament was so good...so many talented teams...and not a peep about Portland. The Pilots slapped around UCLA late last night, and will play Minnesota tonight. Win or lose, they're going to get a shot at another power conference team (West Virginia or Texas A&M) on Sunday.

Regardless of how this all plays out, I hope you're realizing how strong the WCC may be this year. Many thought Gonzaga would take a step back, but they gave Michigan State everything they could handle, and just won the Maui Invitational. San Diego has already knocked off Stanford and has a shot at winning the Great Alaska Shootout after taking down Oklahoma. Could you imagine 3 WCC teams winning the 76, Maui, and GAS? Meanwhile, St. Mary's is scoring so many points I'm starting to wonder any defense in the WCC can slow them down. There's a possibility we could be looking at a repeat of the 3-bid WCC of 2008, that is, if both Portland and San Diego cooperate this weekend.

Plus some comments about Charles Garcia at Seattle. LINK

Go Pilots! Basketball

Back to top Go down

Mid-Majority Comments Empty Re: Mid-Majority Comments

Post by mattywizz Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Love all this pub. The great thing about the game last night...we didn't sneak up on UCLA. There was already some talk about us and this wasn't a cupcake that, pardon the expression, slipped it in to UCLA.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:03 am

Yes, the WCC is definitely very improved. There will be some competitive games for sure. How has USD improved so much?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:05 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:Yes, the WCC is definitely very improved. There will be some competitive games for sure. How has USD improved so much?

they got BJ back
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah, that was my thought. Is this his seventh year?

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:39 am

up7587 wrote:Yeah, that was my thought. Is this his seventh year?

I like to call him the Carson Palmer of the WCC.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 am

The Mid-Majority is back, this time with three paragraphs on the Pilots. The best part:
But we definitely have to give major props to the team that crashed into the general consciousness of casual fans everywhere, and that's the Portland Pilots with their performance in Anaheim. To drop UCLA and Minnesota on national TV is something that every school at our level dreams of.
They're also referred to as the Fightin' Revenos and the Purple Reign. Awesome!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:31 pm

http://www.midmajority.com/2009/12/the-state-of-the-other-24-week.php

Mid-Majority's sister site, Basketball State, has their own computer rankings that put Portland at #7 among mid-majors. Checking in at #1 is SMC, who has been on fire of late.

Can you tell I love this site? (Not just for the nice things they say about the Pilots.) Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 am

PPT, I couldn't help but notice that GU isn't ranked in that ranking. They said that they were evaluating the 24 other conferences without mentioning any exceptions, so clearly GU was eligible if SMC and UP were... Perhaps a mistake? Or maybe they think Gonzaga is out of this top 24 (and worse than Wichita State).
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, weird. Apparently GU is no longer a mid-major according to those rankings... It went to their heads...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 pm

What is also strange is that Butler is ranked 10th in mid-majors but is top 25 in the espn polls??

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:13 pm

I thought this, from earlier this week, was a really good read about getting a Top 25 ranking and the circus that goes along with it. It also might help you feel a little bit better about the struggles the Pilots have had since hitting the rankings. I've excerpted the part that mentions Portland, but really you should read the whole thing:

When a team from the SoCon or CAA or Big West catches the attention of the tastemakers, and makes it into the Top 25 for the first time in 50 years, the Bubble descends and envelops the campus. The interview requests for players and coaches are relentless. The sports information director is pressed into action, fielding and evaluating and prioritizing requests for time. Who should get first crack, Katz or Goodman? Wait, how did they get Coach's cell number?

Fans and alumni get excited. We're good now! I can finally wear my gear out in public! Nobody asks where they were during all those lean, non-ranked years, back when the team had trouble drawing 1,000 diehards to the games. Casual adopters get on the bandwagon, punch up the website of the school bookstore, eager to get their hands on the t-shirt of the next George Mason.

Inside the compound, in the inner sanctum, it's chaos. Basketball people are some of the most routine- and process-driven people you'll ever meet. Every minute of every practice is meticulously planned out in advance, every phone call is cataloged (thanks, NCAA), and road trips require precise itineraries to get 20-plus people from one place to another. Nothing is as disruptive to a team than a sudden onslaught of cameras, microphones and famous people in expensive suits, all clamoring for a piece of you.

And when it happens, I have one piece of advice. Don't lose a game. Ever, ever again. Beyond a few regional or personality quirks to fit in a feature article, the Bubble doesn't care about who you are, or how special and unique you might be. The Bubble only has use for you if you're winning, dying or lying.

When you finally do drop a game, you'll be questioned. You'll be labelled a fluke. The top-dog competition will be disparaged, questioned themselves, and the Bubble will move on. You'll be replaced in the Top 25 by a fourth-place Big 12 team, or Vanderbilt, or some other long-suffering mid-major who's on the upper end of the trajectory you just rode. You will be forgotten once the wins stop; it is the destiny of every small-conference school to be forgotten. Whether you're George Mason, Creighton or Davidson, you'll be forgotten. (Butler, you're next.)

Like Portland, for example. In one week, with three wins over Oregon and UCLA and Minnesota (the latter pair on ESPN), the Pilots were voted in. There were soft-focus features, SportsCenter spotlights, and finally poll votes. Portland spent its first week in the Top 25 in a half-century by losing to Portland State and Idaho.

I've only spoken to Eric Reveno once, and that was for a standard preview article. Even if I knew him better, I'm sure he wouldn't go on record about the disruption to the team's routine that Top 25 status brought. And he doesn't have to, because the results speak for themselves. If you saw any of those two losses, you'll see a defense that was a mere shadow of the lockdown effort that held Minnesota and UCLA to 33 percent shooting. The Vikings and Vandals shot better than 50 percent both nights. It was almost as if the Pilots weren't properly prepared for the games.

Portland is still a very good team; I love watching the Pilots play. Once they recover from the shock of being Bubbl'd, they'll be fine. When the upsets come again, I'm sure they'll have their priorities in order.

Because the poll doesn't determine who gets into the NCAA Tournament, and never did. The Top 25 has nothing to do with the Sweet 16 or the Elite 8. It's only as important as you allow it to be.

http://www.midmajority.com/2009/12/bubble-friction.php
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks for posting that, Stonehouse. While I agree that being ranked in the Top 25 isn't everything, it is definitely related to seeding, respect, and RPI. Our RPI dropped to 83rd or something like that after those two losses. If we can climb back to within the top 64 and start to add to our resume again, we'll be in fine shape.

Looking at things in a glass half full way, UW is not a great perimeter shooting team. I still think we match up pretty well with them, and Rev has some nice film to study with their recent loss to Georgetown. I can't wait to go to the game tomorrow night...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 am

Stoney a very perceptive piece of writing and because we went from the penthouse to the outhouse in one week doesn't mean we are any different a team. The best answer is the team lost focus (mostly defense) annd that was restored in the Denver game. Lets hope it won't be lost again.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 am

Mid-Majority does not consider Gonzaga to be a mid-major because of the size of their basketball budget. They define a mid-major in terms of the money the programs have available to them. Schools in BCS conferences, plus Mountain West and C-USA programs, have bigger budgets than the schools in the other 23 conferences and the independents.

Gonzaga is removed from the [mid-major] wins-and-losses tabulation altogether, because no other small-conference school has unlimited access to the cable airwaves like it does. (For the record, the program spent $11 million on athletics in 2008, and $2.5 million -- almost a quarter of its budget -- on the basketball team.)
http://midmajority.com/redline.php
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 pm

So you think Drummer and I have it easy? We get a free ticket to the game and a soda pop at halftime? Think again...
http://www.midmajority.com/2010/01/in-the-band-for-a-day.php

This is the coolest blog entry in the history of cool blog entries. rimshot
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:43 am

Love those Band "nerds", you guys create a good part of the atmosphere at the Pilot games. cheers

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down