A few observations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A few observations

Post by DTLegend on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 am

So i was doing some looking around yesterday and noticed one really interesting thing, and happened upon another later.

First of all have you seen the latest Top 25 poll. nothing too interesting until you get to the "Others receiving votes" section.

Others Receiving Votes
Oklahoma 53, Wake Forest 40, Gonzaga 26, Oklahoma State 24, Brigham Young 23, Florida State 20, Notre Dame 18, Dayton 18, UNLV 18, Miami (FL) 16, LSU 15, Pittsburgh 12, Xavier 12, Tulsa 12, Memphis 11, Mississippi 10, Kansas State 8, Texas A&M 8, Florida 3, Missouri 3, Saint Mary's 2, Siena 1, New Mexico 1.

So i wasn't surprised to see Gonzaga getting votes, but Saint Mary's???? its cool, and i think its good for the conference and all, but i think that the fact that both Randy Bennett and the San Diego State coach are both contributers to the poll has a little to do with it. But even so, it shows what a nationally televised game can do for you.



second, a major letdown for Oregon. They lost again.....to MONTANA....in Eugene. Now coming from the treasure state, its kind of cool to beat a big boy in oregon, but it could not have come at a worse time for UP. I was hoping that oregon would change their ways and be all fired up but instead they did nothing against montana. Oh well.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 367
Age : 28
Location : Denver
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by Rochin54 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 am

Yea - I saw the polls and thought the same thing. Obviously it doesn't matter at this point. All we need to do is focus on getting better and keeping hungry. This tournament could be very big for us. Even if we don't win all out games, it is an opportunity to learn to play like a top-flight ball team.

Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 668
Location : Suburbia
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by MesaPilot1 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 am

We are right there , we can taste it, first Bruin cub with our Thanksgiving dinner. Then some Golden gopher or Butler (?) shortly thereafter and the pundits and pollsters will start noticing Portland State U : :lol:Gonzaga deserves notice, St Mary's couldn't handle Vandy who got overwhelmed by Cincy. As much as I like MICKEY( Kramers and John Bailey's HS teamate at Dobson) the Gaels are Sad really going to miss Diamond's steady game they had all those years.I've seen that freshman play, and "he is no Patty Mills" He's good for a freshman, but if I were starting a team I would take NIK and TJ over either him or mickey in a second.


Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Gonzaga learned alot over their almost Matt Bouldin like disapearence of their whole team,sic..)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by onetouchfutbol on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:36 pm

purplepride13 wrote:So i was doing some looking around yesterday and noticed one really interesting thing, and happened upon another later.

First of all have you seen the latest Top 25 poll. nothing too interesting until you get to the "Others receiving votes" section.

Others Receiving Votes
Oklahoma 53, Wake Forest 40, Gonzaga 26, Oklahoma State 24, Brigham Young 23, Florida State 20, Notre Dame 18, Dayton 18, UNLV 18, Miami (FL) 16, LSU 15, Pittsburgh 12, Xavier 12, Tulsa 12, Memphis 11, Mississippi 10, Kansas State 8, Texas A&M 8, Florida 3, Missouri 3, Saint Mary's 2, Siena 1, New Mexico 1.

So i wasn't surprised to see Gonzaga getting votes, but Saint Mary's???? its cool, and i think its good for the conference and all, but i think that the fact that both Randy Bennett and the San Diego State coach are both contributers to the poll has a little to do with it. But even so, it shows what a nationally televised game can do for you.



second, a major letdown for Oregon. They lost again.....to MONTANA....in Eugene. Now coming from the treasure state, its kind of cool to beat a big boy in oregon, but it could not have come at a worse time for UP. I was hoping that oregon would change their ways and be all fired up but instead they did nothing against montana. Oh well.

Oregon is not going to have a good season, and we cannot count on them to bring up our RPI. We really can't count on UCLA either. They just aren't going to live up to their projected 3rd place finish in the Pac-10. Few of those players on that team would have started a year or two ago; they don't even look like a tournament team right now. Our best RPI games on the schedule will be UW and the second round of the '76 tourney if we can get into the second round. I think we'll beat UCLA and get there. Overall, this looks like a down year for the Pac-10 if things continue like this...which may be good for the WCC. Maybe we can get 3 teams into the tourney again. Who knows.

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by cjacks14 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:43 pm

I think we just need to focus on what we can control, winning games. If we win the games we should win and take an upset or two we'll be in good shape. For a chance of making a run at a tourney i feel that the bottom line is that we have to take a game from the Zags. Over the course of the season i think that win would be the most significant.

I was checking that poll as well just in the hopes we got a vote or two in there. Anyone know the last time we got a vote in the rankings??

cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Age : 31
Location : Portland, OR
Registration date : 2009-02-22

View user profile http://twitter.com/chrisjackson14

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by Rochin54 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 am

cjacks14 wrote:I think we just need to focus on what we can control, winning games.

Yes sir. Agreed.

Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 668
Location : Suburbia
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few observations

Post by mattywizz on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Rochin54 wrote:
cjacks14 wrote:I think we just need to focus on what we can control, winning games.

Yes sir. Agreed.

I can get an old piece of iron pipe and go break the knees of our opponent's best player...oh wait, you actually mean on the court.

mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Age : 34
Location : La Crosse, WI
Registration date : 2007-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum