Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UCLA Pregame Release

+19
A_Fan
mattywizz
Harry Redknapp
fan from afar
ktinpurple
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
MaizeBluePurple
chiefer
pms275
Poopdeck Pappy
Stonehouse
PilotDrummer
eProf
letsgopilots11
fwill
merlogirl
powerfan
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UCLA Pregame Release - Page 2 Empty Re: UCLA Pregame Release

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:20 pm

I like it, One Touch - but couldn't you find a Bear somewhere, or maybe a Boston Bruin?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

That's awesome, Onetouchfutbol!
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 pm

chiefer wrote:They'll be confiscated

Tempted to get my kilt, drum, and fly down just to prove you wrong. Do you tell USC to leave their band when they play you, too? Or Stanford?

You don't need anything beyond drums to make music...and that, believe it or not, is what we do. Don't believe me? Watch and listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=043gvtooVpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeoMQPBTD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Jm72qGv2I&feature=related
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 pm

ktinpurple wrote:"childish and beneath this quality program."

LOL. Chill out man.
PFFFFFFTTT...You thought this was bad, wait 'til the lead up to the Gonzaga basketball game in January. Being that it's only about six weeks away I look at this as a warm-up. Basketball
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by merlogirl Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Feel like a whirlwind trip? I have an extra seat in my car. Leaving Portland Friday night and returning after the game, so hopefully you can sleep in a car.

merlogirl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:10 am

It was bad enough that we got a #2 seed. It's adding insult to injury to not have the game visible up here.

Shame! It's the 21st century for heaven's sake. How hard is it to arrange a video feed.

Gametracker is absurd for a game at this level.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefer Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:48 am

Geezaldinho wrote:

read your NCAA tournament rulebook.

UCLA MUST admit 25 members of an approved band or cheer group and their instuments for FREE if they are in uniform.

See pictures of drum squad in kilts.

First, I was teasing about the "confiscating" remark. Secondly, I did read the rulebook way before this discussion and I would say the operative word in that line is, "approved." So, you think if this game were held at Merlo field, and up to 25 so called "band members" from UCLA (all happening to be drummers) showed up that they would be allowed to come in with their instruments....and for free? Wouldn't happen. Bring 'em and I will anxiously await to hear the results.

chiefer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 am

chiefer wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:

read your NCAA tournament rulebook.

UCLA MUST admit 25 members of an approved band or cheer group and their instuments for FREE if they are in uniform.

See pictures of drum squad in kilts.

First, I was teasing about the "confiscating" remark. Secondly, I did read the rulebook way before this discussion and I would say the operative word in that line is, "approved." So, you think if this game were held at Merlo field, and up to 25 so called "band members" from UCLA (all happening to be drummers) showed up that they would be allowed to come in with their instruments....and for free? Wouldn't happen. Bring 'em and I will anxiously await to hear the results.

It has happened at Merlo - as recently as the UW game in the second Tournament game this year. The University of Washington Marching Band was admitted in uniform with instruments, and was a good addition to the atmosphere of the game.

Truth be known, it looked like a lot more than 25 people. some carried instruments and didn't play them, probably because they didn't know how. Nobody minded.

Here's a frame from the hightlight video that shows them in all their glory (top right on the frame, in purple - standing)
UCLA Pregame Release - Page 2 Pictur10

Since both schools use Purple as the team color, it worked out quite well Smile

As to the drum squad being approved by the College, that too has happened every tournament game for the last two years, and I don't see why it wouldn't happen again. It's the provision under which they are at the home tournament games, and I believe they went to Stanford and were admitted last year. If Portland approves them again, UCLA really has no option to refuse admittance.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:26 pm

As the guy who HAD the 25 tickets for the drummers for two rounds of playoffs in 2005, I can also attest to UP approving the drum squad as the "band" in "uniform."

Everything else, well, the geez said it already.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefer Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:17 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:

Tempted to get my kilt, drum, and fly down just to prove you wrong. Do you tell USC to leave their band when they play you, too? Or Stanford?

You don't need anything beyond drums to make music...and that, believe it or not, is what we do. Don't believe me? Watch and listen.

"When they play (you)"...who's me? Anyway, I'm pretty sure USC brings their (real) band, like they did in the '07 final four, as does Stanford at their home games and that's great. I know there's more important stuff like the game itself but we're (al least I am) having fun with this. I know that you can probably get away with this (the so-called drum band) at Merlo field but I really don't think, in the pure sense of the rules of the NCAA tournament, that a "drum" band will qualify down at LA. I think they're considered, "noisemakers." Now if they can put on a show like the boys from "Atlanta A&T", bring 'em on!! But from what I heard on those youtube excerpts, they have a long way to go and if I should go to that game, I would rather focus my attention on the teams' play and not be unduly annoyed by drone-like noises coming from that rag tag group...kind of like listening to fans blowing their plastic horns the whole game...ok, here it comes.....

chiefer
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Sign-Danger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:01 pm

trenchcoat Wally's account of the Stanford game last year.

Great Pilot crowd on hand. Great to see! Pilot/ Villa drummers helped to show that the Pilot fans are #1 in the USA. I'm pretty sure that Stanford hired their pep band (Drums and horns) to play at the game. They sounded good. I found it interesting that there were picnic tables adjacent to the field that are used for lots of Pre-game activities. Lots of food and many adult beverages flowing. Must not be an issue at Stanford/ California.

https://www.pilotnation.net/women-s-soccer-f7/final-score-stanford-1-portland-0-t1600.htm#13636
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 pm

UCLA Pregame Release - Page 2 564503

chiefer wrote:
PilotDrummer wrote:

"When they play (you)"...who's me? Anyway, I'm pretty sure USC brings their (real) band, like they did in the '07 final four, as does Stanford at their home games and that's great. I know there's more important stuff like the game itself but we're (al least I am) having fun with this. I know that you can probably get away with this (the so-called drum band) at Merlo field but I really don't think, in the pure sense of the rules of the NCAA tournament, that a "drum" band will qualify down at LA. I think they're considered, "noisemakers." Now if they can put on a show like the boys from "Atlanta A&T", bring 'em on!! But from what I heard on those youtube excerpts, they have a long way to go and if I should go to that game, I would rather focus my attention on the teams' play and not be unduly annoyed by drone-like noises coming from that rag tag group...kind of like listening to fans blowing their plastic horns the whole game...ok, here it comes.....

Huh...who is Atlanta A&T? Clearly you've never been to a game on our field.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Wow, how did I miss this topic?? Good read after a long day of work. I think if I leave now I can make it to LA in time for the game (provided I don't hit traffic). I will stop at Dollar General and pick up a drum in case we can't get more 24 people down there. Go Pilots!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm

chiefer wrote: But from what I heard on those youtube excerpts, they have a long way to go and if I should go to that game, I would rather focus my attention on the teams' play and not be unduly annoyed by drone-like noises coming from that rag tag group...kind of like listening to fans blowing their plastic horns the whole game...ok, here it comes.....
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Comparing the Villa drummers to vuvuzelas! Epic post!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:27 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote: Huh...who is Atlanta A&T? Clearly you've never been to a game on our field.
It might be a historically black college, though I've never heard of them. These colleges have amazing marching bands. Saturday afternoon find the Grambling-Southern football game on TV (it will be on a major network) and watch the halftime show. Great stuff, especially for a band geek like me. Laughing

A soccer fan who thinks noise is distracting at game. You won't like it at Timbers/Sounders/Fire/Cowlumbus/DC games...maybe the KC Wizards or someone like that will be more your style... Razz
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:48 pm

chiefer wrote:"When they play (you)"...who's me? Anyway, I'm pretty sure USC brings their (real) band, like they did in the '07 final four, as does Stanford at their home games and that's great. I know there's more important stuff like the game itself but we're (al least I am) having fun with this. I know that you can probably get away with this (the so-called drum band) at Merlo field but I really don't think, in the pure sense of the rules of the NCAA tournament, that a "drum" band will qualify down at LA. I think they're considered, "noisemakers." Now if they can put on a show like the boys from "Atlanta A&T", bring 'em on!! But from what I heard on those youtube excerpts, they have a long way to go and if I should go to that game, I would rather focus my attention on the teams' play and not be unduly annoyed by drone-like noises coming from that rag tag group...kind of like listening to fans blowing their plastic horns the whole game...ok, here it comes.....
You the pompous UCLA fan.

They're only considered "noisemakers" if they're played during the game itself.
As for the rest of what I perceive to be insults by you, I'll ignore. Clearly you don't know all that much about soccer, or about the Ritmo Piloto group as a 15 year tradition at Merlo Field. Your "Drumline" reference enough seems to prove that.

Do some research, look up "samba," and then maybe come back with a coherent discussion on the music of the game.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Get real chiefer. This is soccer. fans are encouraged to be fans. I honestly have no idea what your point is here. A VT fan spent all of last week in this chat room. He was great. We all welcomed him openly, and even though this whole banter is a little annoying we still welcome you- but at least contribute real information to this conversation. While it is entertaining, its "childish" (as you call it). I think you just want to "put us in our place". Well... good luck with that! Just wait until we win on your own field and your girls lay down and cry on the field afterward.

BTW, I was at the UCLA game 2 years ago for this round and the band was there. Not very hospitable (shooing away the ball girls & forcing everyone to stay seated) but they let them play!
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Here is a link to a pre-game video release from UCLA. It takes a while to load.

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/112309aaa.html
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 pm

A_Fan wrote:Here is a link to a pre-game video release from UCLA. It takes a while to load.

2005 Portland 4-0 College Station, TX (NCAA SF)

From the site linked...what does "SF" mean? Since that was the National Championship game, I'm not sure what they mean by SF.

I think I missed my calling. Writing press releases sounds awesome.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:27 pm

What I find humorous about other teams is: It's either a big game event for the team (Portland Vs Washington) or (Stanford vs Portland in 08) When the pep band or mascot is called out for team glee club activities.

Trenchcoats theory of phone call between UCLA athletic director, Dan Guerrero and department staff member.

"Hi Dan, um.. the Bruins lady soccer team is doing really good and um, I think it would be just super if the pep band could go to the game and play for the bruins; what do you think?"

"Soccer! I'm more concerned about our crappy football team getting stomped by both of the Oregon teams. We hardly get any fans at our soccer games anyways." Heck, with close to 10 million people in the greater Los Angeles area, we draw just over 1000 fans per game. You want me to commit the band for that?

"It's OK Dan, they can just play 'Louie Louie' and it will fit right in! The players will love it and they might actually believe they have some fans"

--------

I remember a few years ago when UP played Notre Dame and they brought the Football cheerleaders and the fuzzy little mutant guy. They looked as 'out of place' as I'm sure they all felt.

Pilot fans and drummers are at all of the games, making noise and enjoying great Pilot soccer.

Trenchcoat
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefer Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:53 pm

All right guys, just having fun as the outsider with a non topic. I enjoy the friendly banter. Just to be clear on a couple of serious thoughts. The Portland Soccer team is a great team with great coaching and very supportive and passionate fans. I've been there, seen it and appreciate it. Good luck down in LA. To the band geek, Atlanta A&T is the fictional school in the movie, Drumline. Talk to you after the game.

chiefer
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:
A_Fan wrote:Here is a link to a pre-game video release from UCLA. It takes a while to load.

2005 Portland 4-0 College Station, TX (NCAA SF)

From the site linked...what does "SF" mean? Since that was the National Championship game, I'm not sure what they mean by SF.

I think I missed my calling. Writing press releases sounds awesome.

Yeah, SF is a mistake there. They used QF for quarterfinal, and SF appears to be semi-final. But, that was no SF; that was for the national championship. They can't take that one away from us. GRRRR UCLA Pregame Release - Page 2 Icon_twisted
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:48 pm

chiefer wrote:All right guys, just having fun as the outsider with a non topic. I enjoy the friendly banter. Just to be clear on a couple of serious thoughts. The Portland Soccer team is a great team with great coaching and very supportive and passionate fans. I've been there, seen it and appreciate it. Good luck down in LA.

We are very passionate! lol. Thanks for the kind words. We need all of the support we can get to win this game this weekend. Talk to you after the game!
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:33 pm

Maybe the "SF" means that it should have been the semi-final. Many think that the game against Penn State was the real final. Both teams were (and finished the season) undefeated.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next