Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback?

+3
PilotDrummer
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback? Empty Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback?

Post by Stonehouse Sat Nov 14 2009, 22:53

Um... something tells me yes:

Washington opens its men’s basketball season tonight with the first of three games in three nights in the Athletes in Action Classic at Hec Edmundson Pavilion.

And top returning scorer Isaiah Thomas described the opening trio of opponents in a way that could send chills up the spine of any UW fan.

“These are all University of Portland kind of games,” Thomas said.

The reference was to last season’s opening opponent – the Portland Pilots – who sent the Huskies home 0-1 with an 80-74 upset in the Rose City.

The AIA Classic field is made up of UW, Wright State, Belmont and Portland State, all meeting in a round robin over three consecutive days of doubleheaders.

“They’re good teams, and they’re sneaky teams that can get you,” Thomas said. “... For these teams, it’s like their Super Bowl. They’re not as good as us as far as the rankings and whatnot, so it’s like their Super Bowl. They’re going to come in, bringing their ‘A’ game, playing hard. So we’ve got to come back and play harder than they do.”

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/uw/story/1034863.html

I love it! "University of Portland" games... hey, if we can deliver "University of Portland" games to UCLA, Butler, Oregon, and Washington again, I'd be a very happy camper. Let's make this a national term! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback? Empty Re: Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback?

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 14 2009, 23:55

Do you suppose that Isaiah is looking for royalties for that term?

I'm prempting him

"We play University of Portland -type games " ©️ 2009 PurpleGeezer
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback? Empty Re: Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback?

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Nov 15 2009, 08:20

Was that really that bad of an upset last year? Sure seems like the Huskies haven't forgotten about it. I'm a little jaded about them and their fans after the PSU-UW women's game yesterday, though. Their fans were jackasses.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Nov 15 2009, 08:46

Sounds like "little" Isiah and his buddy's is more concerned about the Pilots then they are of his team. IMHO, REV would take a win over UCLA,Butler, Minnesota OR [b]GONZAGA and (idahooo Laughing ) anyday before that game. Although a win over the Huskies again this year would be nice.

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 15 2009, 18:12

Geezaldinho wrote:Do you suppose that Isaiah is looking for royalties for that term?

I'm prempting him

Pilot opponents should also keep in mind We Play Harder.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 15 2009, 18:12

PilotDrummer wrote:Was that really that bad of an upset last year? Sure seems like the Huskies haven't forgotten about it. I'm a little jaded about them and their fans after the PSU-UW women's game yesterday, though. Their fans were jackasses.

Yes, it was a very big upset eventhough we had one or two 2-3 point losses to them before that, I think. At the end of the year, UW's RPI was much higher than ours was. It would be an even bigger deal if we beat them this year on the road. I'm going to try to go to the game, however, I honestly don't expect us to win that one on the road this year. I think we have a better chance of upsetting Gonzaga at home than UW on the road.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15 2009, 21:02

onetouchfutbol wrote:
PilotDrummer wrote:Was that really that bad of an upset last year? Sure seems like the Huskies haven't forgotten about it. I'm a little jaded about them and their fans after the PSU-UW women's game yesterday, though. Their fans were jackasses.

Yes, it was a very big upset eventhough we had one or two 2-3 point losses to them before that, I think. At the end of the year, UW's RPI was much higher than ours was. It would be an even bigger deal if we beat them this year on the road. I'm going to try to go to the game, however, I honestly don't expect us to win that one on the road this year. I think we have a better chance of upsetting Gonzaga at home than UW on the road.

I guess we forgot to "bow down." Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Nov 15 2009, 21:45

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Do you suppose that Isaiah is looking for royalties for that term?

I'm prempting him

Pilot opponents should also keep in mind We Play Harder.
ROTFL!

Yes, yes we do. Really wish USF had kept those warmups.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15 2009, 23:03

UW got 'payback' on PSU today. They didn't lose last year, but it was a one point win. This year, 56 points! affraid Has PSU fallen that far, or is UW really that much better? confused

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 16 2009, 00:48

up7587 wrote: Has PSU fallen that far, or is UW really that much better? confused

Yes.

And I don't think we can count on Isaiah Thomas fouling out in 10 minutes this year...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 16 2009, 12:35

DaTruRochin wrote:
up7587 wrote: Has PSU fallen that far, or is UW really that much better? Think UW Will Be Looking for Payback? Confused

Yes.

And I don't think we can count on Isaiah Thomas fouling out in 10 minutes this year...

Or maybe the question is answered as: PSU is that much worse.

Thomas won't foul out early at UW. For our matchup, both teams are arguably deeper than last year. They have Gaddy coming off of the bench, and we have guys like Stohl and Mitrovic. We have to play better than last year to beat them because they definitely won't underestimate us, and we're the road team this time. Other than the backcourt area (where I feel like our athleticism and theirs cancel each other out when we play to our potential), I think this is kind of a grit (UP) vs. athleticism (UW) matchup.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum