Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's

+11
DTLegend
mattywizz
RiseUP
onetouchfutbol
MesaPilot1
mikemac65
upsailor
ShipstadPilot11
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
15 posters

Go down

Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's Empty Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 am

Welcome aboard to the 4 newest Pilots! Basketball

We have 5 seniors this year, plus Hegarty's open scholarship position, so I would expect a couple more additions to next year's recruiting class before it is all said and done. Shamburger may or may not be in the mix any longer, and/or maybe a transfer so as to avoid having 6 freshman next year...(?)

PortlandPilots.com article: LINK

Men's Hoops Sign Four Incoming Recruits

11/12/2009 10:01:53 AM

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The University of Portland men’s basketball program has signed four recruits to National Letters of Intent during the early signing period, head coach Eric Reveno announced on Thursday. High school seniors John Bailey (Mesa, Ariz./Dobson HS), Riley Barker (Surrey, B.C./White Rock Christian Academy), Ryan Nicholas (Spokane, Wash./Gonzaga Prep) and Tanner Riley (North Bend, Wash./Mount Si HS) will all join the Pilots for the 2010-11 season.

Portland, picked to finish second in the 2009-10 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll after a 19-13 season last year, will lose five seniors to graduation this spring. With excitement resonating on The Bluff about the team’s current state, Reveno and his coaching staff are just as excited about the future of the program with the early commitments.

“With our team returning almost everybody to the roster this season, we put a premium on targeting players from the 2010 class that could maintain the momentum our program has built,” Reveno said. “Our coaching staff feels that these four players are all capable of coming in and helping immediately.”

John Bailey (6-8, 200) comes to the Pilots from Dobson High School, the same program that delivered junior center Kramer Knutson. A three-year varsity letterwinner for head coach Rick McConnell, Bailey averaged a team-high 17.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots per game as a junior. He led Dobson to the 5A State Tournament and was named honorable mention all-state and first team All-East Valley Region. Bailey was a second team all-region performer after averaging 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds as a sophomore. He had a breakout summer playing on the AAU circuit for the Joe Ward All-Stars.

“John is a versatile scorer and rebounder with the ability to play on the perimeter or inside at both ends of the floor,” Reveno noted. “He comes from a quality high school program, so we know he is well-coached and understands how to play the game. He will be a guy down the road who causes difficult match-up problems for other teams.”

Riley Barker (6-9, 225) averaged 16 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots per game last year at White Rock Christian Academy. He has led the Warriors to second and fourth place at the British Columbia Provincials the last two seasons, respectively. A member of the B.C. Provincial Team for the last three years, Barker helped the U-15 squad to a first place finish at the Canada Western Championships. Other accolades include being named the MVP of the Surrey RCMP Tournament and all-star recognition at the Fraser Valley Basketball Commission, B.C. Provincials as well as the Yale and Legal Beagle Tournaments.

“Riley is a lengthy big man, with a solid low post skill set,” Reveno said. “His ability to shoot from the perimeter and his post versatility will allow us to move him around in our system. With a 7-foot, 1-inch wingspan, his presence on defense will only improve with more strength and experience. His desire to improve and great work ethic make us excited about his potential at the collegiate level.”

Ryan Nicholas (6-7, 235) led Gonzaga Prep to a fourth-place finish at the 2009 Washington 4A State Championships and was named to the state all-tournament second team. He helped the Bullpups to the 2009 GSL championship and was also named to the regional all-tournament first team. A two-time All-Greater Spokane League honoree, Nicholas also averaged 14.9 points as a junior and 13.9 points as a sophomore. A national Honor Society member the last three years, Nicholas won the 2009 U.S. Army Reserve National Scholar Athlete Award and various other academic accolades. He played last summer with the Friends of Hoop AAU program. Current Pilots Luke Sikma and Jared Stohl were also members of the Friends of Hoop program throughout their high school careers.

“Ryan is a warrior,” said Reveno. “Physically, he could play for us right now. He has a very high basketball IQ combined with tremendous toughness and passion for the game. Ryan's leadership and work ethic will be evident the day he arrives on campus. He is also someone that will take advantage of the college experience as a whole and be a tremendous asset to the university community.”

Tanner Riley (6-3, 195) was named to the all-state second team last season after leading the Kingco (3A) League and finishing second in the state with a 24.0 per game scoring average. A three-time all-league honoree entering his senior season, Riley has led Mount Si in scoring each of his first three seasons with the program. A team captain since his sophomore year, Riley has twice been named the team MVP. He averaged 10.7 points as a freshman and 17.6 points as a sophomore. Riley has also played three years for the Friends of Hoop AAU travel team along with fellow incoming Pilot recruit Ryan Nicholas.

“Tanner is a scorer in every sense of the word,” Reveno noted. “He can attack the basket, has a good mid-range game and can really shoot it from the perimeter. Tanner will bring great toughness and competitiveness to our program. He rebounds well for a guard and is a guy who consistently makes plays that win.

“We are very pleased with our four fall signees,” Reveno continued. “We are graduating some key players this spring and this class will continue to build on the foundation we have here at Portland and maintain our championship-level mindset. We have not only added four very talented basketball players, but also quality student-athletes who are all excited about attending the University of Portland.”

The Pilots open the 2009-10 regular season on Saturday at Eastern Washington. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Reese Court. The Pilots home-opener will be Tuesday, Nov. 17 versus Seattle at 7 p.m. at the Chiles Center.

Copyright ©️ University of Portland Athletics

Last edited by PilotNut on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : it's a NLI, not a NOI... getting my acronyms all mixed up.)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's Empty Re: Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:50 am

A point guard would be an obvious supplement to this great group! Basketball

Back to top Go down

Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's Empty Re: Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Especially considering after this year, Waterford will be the only one left who has seen any court time...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Oh yeah... a PG has to be top of the wish-list right now.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Shamburger is no longer listed (on ESPN) as considering Portland. He is currently considering "no schools at this time," according to ESPN. This isn't really news; it's just another sign that he may not be Ptown-bound.

Link to Shamburger's ESPN Profile

PS What's up with ESPN making recruit assessments premium content?! I'm 99.9% this is a recent thing. I mean, clearly they just want people to sign up for IN and they think that, as recruit-signing season is here, people will pay for the assessments. The whole IN concept annoys me, though.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 pm

ESPN shows Shamburger as a 85, thathardly jumps off the page. Being aware of how he looks at the recruiting process, committing, etc., I hope they don't go back to him.
One thing that surprised me was Ryan Nicholas's reported weight at 235'
My recollection is thar his weight when he committed was around 210-215.
If true and its mostly muscle, then we may have a real banger on our hands.Would be great and surely a crowd favorite.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:08 pm

And honestly the guys we're looking at are big, hardworking players, you can't teach size... And it kind of mirrors the cornerstones used to build that program up north which shall remain nameless (Well at least that's how they used to do it anyway...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 pm

It's before my time, so correct me if I'm wrong. But, more notably, wasn't it a cornerstone of a certain Cardinal team to the south??
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Yep... Mark Madsen, Matt Harysz (sp?), then the Collins twins... yep... Solid bigs and then great shooters like Jacobsen... and then good PGs like Brevin Knight
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 am

Misa, are you going to keep the NATION informed on Bailey's progress this year. We're in dire need of information. Basketball

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:14 am

Mesa please excuse the Misa thing, my fingers got in the way. Embarassed

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Yes,
I will try my best and will be attending his games that he is playing against other D-1 POST recruits. The problem is I watch this other signee to USD at his school and she plays on the road when he plays at home and vice-versa. But I will be watching his Chrismas Tourney most likely. That way when I make it to the Chiles Center in Jan for LMT and Pepperdine game I can give a "in person" report to PN MEMBERS about young John Bailey before the coaches talk in Wally's hangout,lol. J/K.

I'd like to meet more Pilot Fans this year so his your warning, I'll be looking for you guy's. So don't say you were not warned to hide from me at the LMT and Pepperdine games.

Mesa Cool

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:35 pm

upsailor wrote:ESPN shows Shamburger as a 85, thathardly jumps off the page. Being aware of how he looks at the recruiting process, committing, etc., I hope they don't go back to him.
One thing that surprised me was Ryan Nicholas's reported weight at 235'
My recollection is thar his weight when he committed was around 210-215.
If true and its mostly muscle, then we may have a real banger on our hands.Would be great and surely a crowd favorite.

Have you checked the scores of our other players? 85 is actually better than any of our listed players above. Our team still does not sign the players who score 88-95. We aren't there yet. Rev is all about developing diamonds in the rough.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:32 am

It looks like ESPN has an updated evaluation on Riley Barker. Anyone have insider to see what it says?

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 am

Yes, I shall check it out.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 am

Espn recruiting has Barker rated as an 85 now. Initially I recall he was a 40 so someone must have been impressed with his efforts this past season.
Perhaps Rev will talk some on the recruits at Sunday's MBB awards dinner, along with comments on his trip to Bronco land. Itcould be an interesting evening.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:37 pm

From ESPN's Recruiting page

Evaluation
March, 2010: Barker is long, lean and a fundamentally sound basketball player. Riley is able to put his mobility and agility on display by running the floor on the break and rotating on defense to block shots on dribble penetration. Riley has been well schooled in post play; he keeps the ball high on rebound put backs, posts up with a wide base and demands the ball while staying on balance when being banged around in the post. Riley's ability to grab rebounds at the highest point and outside of his area are two traits that will allow him to be an effective rebounder for Portland next season. He has good shooting technique out to 15 feet and has a high release. Riley needs to work on developing a counter move to his left shoulder drop step jump hook. His potential will pay off for Pilots a few years down the road.

Too bad we don't have a coach that develops big guys...
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Espn recruiting has Barker rated as an 85 now. Initially I recall he was a 40 so someone must have been impressed with his efforts this past season.
Perhaps Rev will talk some on the recruits at Sunday's MBB awards dinner, along with comments on his trip to Bronco land. Itcould be an interesting evening.

When a player is rated at 40 it usually means that a scout hasn't seen them play. This is the case for a lot of international players as well as players from smaller schools who don't get much attention on the AAU circuit.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 am

TJ was rated a 40 by ESPN...
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 am

Woodless! wrote:TJ was rated a 40 by ESPN...

Clearly demonstrating the accuracy of the rating system! Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:58 pm

I also was rated a 40 coming out of high school. Much more accurate.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm

mattywizz wrote:I also was rated a 40 coming out of high school. Much more accurate.

OVER -- RATED......
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by 89Duck Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 pm

ESPN's now showing seven recruits. Korey Thieleke's been added to the list. A 6'4" athletic wing. Rev's been busy!

89Duck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 pm

89Duck wrote:ESPN's now showing seven recruits. Korey Thieleke's been added to the list. A 6'4" athletic wing. Rev's been busy!

Thieleke mentions: https://www.pilotnation.net/men-s-basketball-f5/korey-thieleke-6-5-sg-t3126.htm

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Bailey, Barker, Nicholas, Riley all sign NLI's Empty PG you want? PG you get

Post by MJGoGaels Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Happy Easter Pilots.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=64248&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fpage%3donthetrail%26recruitId%3d64248

Korey Thieleke - 6-4 PG from Bakersfield. You read from me first. Cheers. MJ
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down