Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

+22
harryb
wyeast
fan from afar
color me purple
UPonhigh
Puckswami
fwill
pilotram
runner girl
ekrauss
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
FANatic
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
SoreKnees
UPSoccerFanatic
fozziewozzie
A_Fan
PilotNut
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Well... I suppose if the ball was crossed in high toward the 18, the defense pulled out a bit and the ball was re-entered behind the defenders...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

Post by SoreKnees Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 pm

The first yellow to the bench was complaining about a foul called against DU on a corner. The complaint (which is totally legitimate) is that the whistle blew before the kick was taken. Fouls cannot occur when the ball is out of play, so the only choices for the referee were to issue a card (he had warned players a few seconds before) or let it go until the ball is in play. But it appeared that he called the foul. It's possible that the whistle sounded a split second after the ball was played, but I don't think so (and neither did the coach).

The red to the assistant came on a throw-in call of all things. The referee said that the ball deflected off a DU player and gave the throw to UP.

The coaches had nothing whatever to complain about since only about 5 of 25 possible fouls were called against DU.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:07 pm

I thought he had a legitimate beef on that second call that got him the red card. From where I was sitting I didn't see any DU player touch the ball. But I agree that they really had no business complaining about the officiating. The Pilots got by far the worse treatment from the official on the field.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 pm

SoreKnees wrote:The first yellow to the bench was complaining about a foul called against DU on a corner. The complaint (which is totally legitimate) is that the whistle blew before the kick was taken. Fouls cannot occur when the ball is out of play, so the only choices for the referee were to issue a card (he had warned players a few seconds before) or let it go until the ball is in play. But it appeared that he called the foul. It's possible that the whistle sounded a split second after the ball was played, but I don't think so (and neither did the coach).

The red to the assistant came on a throw-in call of all things. The referee said that the ball deflected off a DU player and gave the throw to UP.

The coaches had nothing whatever to complain about since only about 5 of 25 possible fouls were called against DU.

I think the whistle was simultaneous with the kick, but I had my eyes directly on Kelsey because it was obvious the ref was going to call the foul on any more contact after the warning. He had the whistle in his mouth and was ready for the call. I'm not sure he was in any mood to be argued out of it. It was almost like he thought the girl was dissing him. The word "niggly" comes to mind, the same phrase Graham Hays used in describing Carly Paine in the BYU New Mexico game, I think the refs are sending a message they are done with gamesmanship for the year.

there is that little clause in the manual about the ref being the sole determinator of the facts on the field....Razz

On the straight red, I think the head coach body language made it look like he thought though he was going to the locker room, but the ref went right past him to the assistant.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Did the referee tell you to stop pushing and shoving? What did you do after that? Ohhhhh.....right....then STHU.

I think Denver played better than the final would indicate. They would not be out of place in the WCC.

Did you see the look on Taylor's face after that ball went in? Priceless.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm going on Sunday, but I did catch the game on the feed.

I was very impressed with the Freshmen. Brooke was a spark with her assist and the long shot. Kendall very good and Klier with her over runs.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:03 pm

I thought Brooke's run into the box and assist was the play of the night.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:11 pm

taylor's goal was a thing of beauty!!, the mens team was sitting nearby an one of them said it was the best goal he has seen all season. now i realize they dont get to see every womens game, but it was, a thing of beauty! taylor was about 23 yards outside the box just off the right and sent a curving rocket into the upper left corner. the keeper had know chance. as stated earlier, taylor's reaction was priceless, like she was almost embarrassed it went in.

great win for the girls. they looked good. they were patient an everyone got to play, except clohee which makes me wonder. are we redshirting her??
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 pm

one last item. how bout that save kelsey made earlier in the first half when the denver player kind of turned megan an got off a great shot. what a save by kelsey!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:37 pm

fozziewozzie wrote: they were patient an everyone got to play, except clohee which makes me wonder. are we redshirting her??

Cloee could redshirt as long as she doesn't step on the field again this year. I have no idea if she's over her stress fracture or fit to play.

Kassi can't. for one thing, a season ending injury must be in the first half of the season. She played tonight.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I thought Brooke's run into the box and assist was the play of the night.
I agree.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 am

I think Kelsey's two saves were the plays of the night ... in addition to Taylor's assist ... and her goal ... and ....

And, I think Oregon State's win against Ohio State tonight, at Ohio State, is the upset of the Tournament so far.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:33 am

Agreed on the saves

That first save Kelsey made was phenomenal after a very dangerous counterattack, that second one was just a great reaction (and we definitely got a little lucky it was within her range)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:26 am

all i can think of is sophie saying how she hates to go up against kelsey in practice because you can't help but strike the ball at her because she is so i
intimadating.
that first save, if it had gotten by kelsey, very well could have changed the complection of this game. it was the first quality strike of the game and an incredible save by kelsey!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:27 am

That first save was definitely highlight reel (what's the new term for reel since it's all digital now?) material and I hope we get to see when the Pilots put theirs up on Youtube.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:37 am

Wonderful photo of the scorers on the sports page of the Oregonian this morning.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:01 am

The Denver coach had already gotten a yellow card for saying something after a call was made on a corner kick.

Whatever came from the bench...it was shouted out! Both cards came when the ref was WAY OVER on the other side of the pitch! He took a long stroll across the pitch each time. Who says Refs are deaf? Selective hearing, I guess? Red Card!

GO PILOTS...BEAT THE HUSKIES!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:13 am

I'd say the cause of the Denver assistant coach's outburst was frustration: frustration at being dominated, being shut out, being held to 2 shots on goal, and having no chance to succeed. The game is for the players not some sideshow on the bench. At the start of the 2nd half, when the Pilots came out a bit flat and Denver had some possession going on for maybe 5 minutes, Garrett Smith showed his displeasure and concern by merely standing up. For him to even rise during a game must send a signal to his team to get their act together. Given a choice of a screaming complainer or someone who lets his team handle their own business on the pitch, I'll choose Smith's method. And I'd note that Garrett went over and spent some time after the game talking to the Denver coach in what appeared to be a calm conversation for both of them.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:29 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
I thought Brooke's run into the box and assist was the play of the night.

eProf wrote:
I agree.

Though it wasn't captured on the Channel 2 KATU highlight of the assist last night...Taylor's fancy moves in the box "broke the ankles" of 2 defenders! She did some crossover move with a spin and turned for the cross...both defenders bit hard and fell around her! That was SWEET! Dani finished Taylor's cross...back of the net baby!

I think Taylor was feeling pretty good about herself, eh? She clocked out her timecard...with that nice shot from the corner of the box. Nice job last night Taylor! cheers

GO PILOTS!!! BEAT THE HUSKIES!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:35 am

Coach Smith looks like a genius for putting Taylor in when he did. When we look back and rank this freshman class in terms of their careers, we may need to recall this night when Taylor broke thru for her first goal and a beauty of an assist. Having two frosh midfielders scoring tournament goals is a huge bonus for a veteran team. (No one player can replace Michelle E., but the team can still carry on with performances like this.)

Taylor's reaction was priceless after her rocket of a goal: Covering her face as if in disbelief, showing humility and joy at once, smiling ... wow! Great game, great promise of more to come.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:18 pm

The highlights for the Denver game are available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/UPPurplePride#p/a/u/0/WdPnV0_96OI
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Was Sophie's deflection on the first goal a back-heel? It looked like it, and it looked like a world-class difficult shot.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:32 pm

When I saw it live on video Friday night, it looked like a back-heel to me.

On the replay, there are players in the way, so you can't tell for sure. But with the direction the ball went in the goal, it almost had to be a back-heel or inner right foot/heel.

It was a brilliant goal. Masterful.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:05 pm

harryb,
yes, you are absolutely right that sophie's goal was in deed a back-heel.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3