Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP v Linfield Highlights

+4
PurplePrideTrumpet
onetouchfutbol
ShipstadPilot11
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

UP v Linfield Highlights Empty UP v Linfield Highlights

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Check it out... Smeulders getting it done at the rim, Mitrovic on fire, Kramer showing a nice hook, TJ running the break... beautiful!

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

UP v Linfield Highlights Empty Re: UP v Linfield Highlights

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:59 pm

There are a lot of things I like about this video!

I am a fan of the new intro, for starters.
Are our cheerleaders more legit this year?
Nem looks a lot like Nik when he shoots the 3. I see it a little at 0:58 and a lot at 1:20 when he gets the ball, looks at his defender and shoots over him.
I love watching us run. TJs run at 1:12 looks great.
I love TJs head-fake at 1:27.
Nice to see Jared creating his own shot, around 1:55.
Was Wally trying to be a chicken?
BEST PART: 2:17 Smile

GO PILOTS!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I think Linfield wasn't much of a test, especially for our bigs. I thought we put a lot of effort into long threes, which were falling as we got open looks, instead of working an inside game. It will be interesting to see if we develop into an outside-in team or an inside-out team; that is, what shot will we fall back on when we need one.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

"Are our cheerleaders more legit this year?"--Shipstad11

That's the question that will make or break our season. Haha...

I love the TJ to Smeulders alley oops. We smoked Linfield last year too, I believe. The only thing I didn't like about the highlights was the empty seats. Time to build some momentum and enthusiasm for the team!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Are they cheerleaders, or a dance team? The PA called them the Pilot Dance Team. Is there a difference? And do they have a budget for uniforms? confused

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:23 pm

It's a dance team, and they've done different routines in each game, so that's a plus...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 pm

C'mon OTF, you've gotta have priorities! I think that was a valid question. The visual appeal atmosphere that cheerleaders can contribute is very significant to our home-court advantage.

So did we get rid of cheerleading altogether? I remember last year we started with MAYBE 10 and ended with under 5 cheerleaders per game. I know that the cheerleading program as a whole didn't get much respect from students (unless they were handing out pizza in the crowd) so it wouldn't surprise me if the program went under.

I could tell the strength of the cheerleading program from my first week on campus as a freshman: the cheerleaders at the activity fair begged my roommate and I to join. So I knew they didn't have standards Smile
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:43 pm

We got rid of the cheerleaders altogether. The dance team seemed to have one thing they did on the sidelines when the band played (repeated all game long). But it was the only thing that I remember they did other than throw out t-shirts and their dance routine at the half.
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Yeah... the cheerleaders are no longer. The dance team has always been good and had strong participation and organization, so they are being utilized a lot more this year.

It's a good move, I think... and a lot of other WCC schools have a mixed cheer/dance team too.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:16 pm

The dance team has always seemed a little more put together than the cheer squad.

I was under the impression that cheerleaders were given some sort of incentive, I don't know if it was help with room/board or some sort of scholarship, while the dance team was made up of volunteers. Stoney, was that the case last year?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:21 pm

What prompted the relocation of the band? Get away from the opposing team bench? Is it more difficult to get set up in the new space? Does it use up more seating area? Inquiring minds want to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm

I think they wanted to have the seats on the floor available to sell or offer to atletic department guests. We are playing from higher up so it's easier to project the sound into the arena. The seats do make things a tighter fit with stands. I think we have the hang of how we are setting up in the new section by now.

I actually like the view from our new section even if I'm farther from the court. The one thing that bothers me is the students that walk up and down the aisle and sometimes block the view. This is Pilot basketball. It's serious business, not a social club, people! jocolor
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:44 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:C'mon OTF, you've gotta have priorities! I think that was a valid question. The visual appeal atmosphere that cheerleaders can contribute is very significant to our home-court advantage.

So did we get rid of cheerleading altogether? I remember last year we started with MAYBE 10 and ended with under 5 cheerleaders per game. I know that the cheerleading program as a whole didn't get much respect from students (unless they were handing out pizza in the crowd) so it wouldn't surprise me if the program went under.

I could tell the strength of the cheerleading program from my first week on campus as a freshman: the cheerleaders at the activity fair begged my roommate and I to join. So I knew they didn't have standards UP v Linfield Highlights Icon_smile

True.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:16 pm

The video was kind of grainy on the iPhone, so the team and cheerleaders kind of looked the same to me. Linfield isn't the best team but this years Pilots look like they are going to be fun to watch.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:The dance team has always seemed a little more put together than the cheer squad.

I was under the impression that cheerleaders were given some sort of incentive, I don't know if it was help with room/board or some sort of scholarship, while the dance team was made up of volunteers. Stoney, was that the case last year?

Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask. I have no idea... though I'm pretty sure they got some kind of support from the athletic department.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:28 pm

up7587 wrote:What prompted the relocation of the band? Get away from the opposing team bench? Is it more difficult to get set up in the new space? Does it use up more seating area? Inquiring minds want to know.

PPT nailed the reasons we've been told we were moved (for men's games only).

As a drummer, it's VERY difficult to get set up. We had all that room behind the basket before. In that regard, I'm not a fan of the location at all. Apparently if you're on the other side of the court, though, we sound awesome. Doubt you can hear us on the student side very well...down in front I can't hear the trumpets up top.

It is what it is...
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:38 pm

It seems that if they wanted to get you away from the opposing team, they could have just swapped places with the dance team - maybe put the drums by the student section on the floor.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:20 pm

PilotDrummer wrote: PPT is a gentleman and a scholar.
Shocked

He. Is. Alive! Razz
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down