Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 18 RPI report

+2
PurplePrideTrumpet
mattywizz
6 posters

Go down

October 18 RPI report Empty October 18 RPI report

Post by mattywizz Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am

So I was just looking at the report from UPSF (great stuff by the way!) and I noticed that OSU, WSU, UW and UO are all in the top 35. Plenty high enough for a tournament berth I presume. They are all within the 350 mile radius correct? We can only have one of those teams in our pod b/c they are all in the same conference I think.

My question is, do we only need one team within that radius to be able to host in the first round? I guess it kind of has to be because the only conference close enough is the Pac10 plus Gonzaga. So it looks to me like we shouldn't have to sweat out hosting in the first round like we have had to in the past. It kind of sucks that a perennial top 5 team has to consider traveling for the first round every year.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

October 18 RPI report Empty Re: October 18 RPI report

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Yes. It only takes one. Last year in the first weekend we had Washington State, who was close enough, as well as Texas and Northern Arizona.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:26 pm

mattywizz wrote:So I was just looking at the report from UPSF (great stuff by the way!) and I noticed that OSU, WSU, UW and UO are all in the top 35. Plenty high enough for a tournament berth I presume. They are all within the 350 mile radius correct? We can only have one of those teams in our pod b/c they are all in the same conference I think.

My question is, do we only need one team within that radius to be able to host in the first round? I guess it kind of has to be because the only conference close enough is the Pac10 plus Gonzaga. So it looks to me like we shouldn't have to sweat out hosting in the first round like we have had to in the past. It kind of sucks that a perennial top 5 team has to consider traveling for the first round every year.

Of the four Oregon/Washington teams you name, OSU, WSU, and UW are pretty sure to be in the the tournament. Oregon is ranked #34 and, since it is a worse ranking than #32 should be considered a bubble team. The bubble as of this time in the season runs from #33 to #71, so Oregon's at the good end of the bubble. For all of these teams, however, if any ends up with a final record below 0.500, it cannot be given an at large spot in the tournament. The #33 to #71 range I've given you, by the way, is based on 2007 and 2008 experience with the RPI as of this time in the season. There is the possibility of an outlier or two at either end of the range (one year, the #22 team didn't make it), but it appears not very likely. The more likely problem will be a team dropping below 0.500.

The mileage radius is 400 miles, up from 350 beginning last year.

You're right that no two teams from the same conference can be at the same Rounds 1-2 site.

A team you haven't mentioned is Portland State. The Big Sky Conference looks pretty wide open, with lots of parity, so it is possible PSU could win the Big Sky tournament. Probably not likely, but also not ridiculous to consider.

If there is another team within the 400 mile radius, that isn't seeded, so that only two teams would have to fly here, then there's a very good chance (though not absolutely guaranteed) that the Pilots will be home for Rounds 1-2. If they get one of the four #1 seeds, the chances are probably even better but still aren't absolutely guaranteed. The Geez knows more about this than I do, so hopefully he'll comment.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:00 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:A team you haven't mentioned is Portland State.

Oh, I always thought University of Portland and Portland State were they same thing. My mistake.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:08 pm

The only thing I'll add is that it actually IS possible for three teams to be flown into a venue. It happened, I think, with BYU a couple of years ago.

It just seems to be an unwritten law that they won't make the exception for Portland.

And that was before the harsher travel rules.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

October 18 RPI report Empty This weekend's games

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

So last weekend on the road the Pilots put 6 past the team with an RPI ranking of 53 and 4 past the team ranked 69. What can we expect at home against teams ranked 68 and 129?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Everyone on the roster getting playing time.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down