Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A different Pilots' team

+5
PurplePrideTrumpet
VillaGorilla
Geezaldinho
eProf
SoreKnees
9 posters

Go down

A different Pilots' team Empty A different Pilots' team

Post by SoreKnees Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm a frequent contributor to the women's site but don't usually keep up on the men's, so forgive me if I'm bringing up points that have been raised here before.

I attended my first men's match of the year today. It was probably the most entertaining and best-played men's match I've seen since Clive's passing. The team played very well as a team, in contrast to recent seasons when there were always a couple of dominant individuals looking for the ball at every opportunity. Over the last couple of years, there always seemed to be egos getting in the way of good soccer. Today, it didn't seem to matter who was where; the team was 10 interchangeable parts (plus the marvelous Mr. Guerrero) all moving in synch to open up for teammates and utilize every opportunity to maintain possession and advance the ball up the field.

For those of you who have seen the men regularly this year, is this the way they have played all season or were they just exceptional today? I haven't relished using my men's tickets in recent years, but if they are playing like this consistently I'll be back again this year for sure!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

A different Pilots' team Empty Re: A different Pilots' team

Post by eProf Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:49 pm

SoreKnees wrote:For those of you who have seen the men regularly this year, is this the way they have played all season or were they just exceptional today? I haven't relished using my men's tickets in recent years, but if they are playing like this consistently I'll be back again this year for sure!

It's a little hard to say if anyone attending only home games has seen them "regularly", since they've only had four home games, and two of them were over a month ago. I was at both games this weekend, and I'd say the style of play was quite unselfish in both games.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:33 pm

I've seen them in four home games and a couple of the away games, and yes, this is the new Men's team. They are not only successful, but very entertaining.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I've seen three of the four home matches, and this is almost what I have come to expect. Such unselfishness with these talented young players is a tremendous foundation for the future.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm

I went Friday, and it was some attractive football despite the loss.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Looking at the attendance on Friday. I think that we all were the only ones there. Very Happy
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:06 am

I have watched almost every game this year and I agree that this is some of the prettiest soccer I have seen in the 4 years that I have followed the men. I am a parent and told my son prior to the start of the season that this, his last, could be his most enjoyable, since there were no major egos to deal with. They are all covering each others backs, up and down the field. Fun to watch 10 field players playing for each other. The freshmen have stepped up huge! We now have interchangable parts that will help us deal with the inevitable injury.

Islander
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 am

I've followed the men's pilot program since fairly closely since 2002, and am the parent of a former player. I'm not so sure of the "ego" comment..Sure there have been a few players in the past that had issues..But from my perspective and observations of training and games..There was a combination of more dominant players on a weaker team along with poor coaching and games tactics.

From what I see now the team is more balanced.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Here's an article from the O about the team: LINK

Credit is given to the players for their hard work to change things.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I really like what I've seen out of this year's freshmen. A group of key upperclassmen playing this summer on the Timbers U-23s had to help as well.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 pm

The latest post has our ranking (#22) below our RPI (#10). I hope the voters do their homework...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down