Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup...

+2
PurplePrideTrumpet
onetouchfutbol
6 posters

Go down

Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup... Empty Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup...

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:55 pm

What a thriller of a game! 3-2. The ref seemed to be a bit insane missing a load of offsides calls in the second half of the game. I watched it at Fados here in Seattle. Did anyone else see the game?

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2009/10/US-Clinches-Berth-to-2010-FIFA-World-Cup-With-Win-In-Honduras.aspx
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup... Empty Re: Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Just the highlights since the Honduran FA sold the TV rights to a company that was only doing PPV.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup... Empty Re: Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup...

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 am

Yeah, very few people saw the game. Fados pubs bought the rights to the PPV, and it was showing at just one place in the state of WA and a similar situation in Oregon as well. Everyone watching college football instead missed a great game. It was standing room only where I went. Road games are so intense at the national team level. I'm excited to see how the Casey-Donovan-Altidore combination does in South Africa. This is arguably our best team ever even without a mid-fielder as talented as Claudio Reyna.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 am

Well, to be honest, you will probably see more Donovon-Altidore-Davies in South Africa...

Casey will be on the squad, but Altidore and Davies are far and away the more talented forward combination...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 am

We'll see. A lot of the guys at the game who I was standing next to complained that Casey was "useless" in a game with a shorter field in the beginning. Then, he went on to score two goals and was named "Man of the Match". With all of Conor's goals and hat tricks at the MLS level and now two goals for the MNT, at least he's shown that he can convert. I don't trust Davies to convert at the same level even if he has better footspeed.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 am

The USA isn't the only team that won in the qualifiers this weekend

And just for fun - it's from an Arabic language TV station in Italy.

Love the belly flop - reminded me of Shannon. I wish he was gone anyway.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:29 am

Uhhhhh, he had no problem in the Confederations cup, and has 2 goals in 8 games in the French 1st division... I'd take that over MLS domination, the MLS doesn't exactly boast the quickest defenders in all the land, and 2 goals against Honduras? They haven't been to a WC since I was, um, zero years old...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:41 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Uhhhhh, he had no problem in the Confederations cup, and has 2 goals in 8 games in the French 1st division... I'd take that over MLS domination, the MLS doesn't exactly boast the quickest defenders in all the land, and 2 goals against Honduras? They haven't been to a WC since I was, um, zero years old...

Good points. I'd rather have one physical player on the field at forward at all times. Whether that player is Altidore or Conor is the coaches choice. I won't argue that the MLS can compare to any European league, our payroll is peanuts and most of the players don't compare. The Confederations Cup was impressive, but, is 2 goals in 8 games really great production???

I wouldn't belittle a road win against Honduras; that was a very hostile environment. Our MNT still has a limited number of quality road wins. Before this year, we'd never beaten Guatamala there...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 pm

It is compared to MLS defenses... In Europe Davies is facing defenders Casey's size, but with MUCH greater quickness/speed, whereas in the MLS Casey is able to bulldoze through people, it just doesn't translate to the Continental game.

And Altidore will be the forward fixture for quite some time if he stays healthy. That said, Casey should see time in South Africa, just probably not much starting time...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:The USA isn't the only team that won in the qualifiers this weekend

And just for fun - it's from an Arabic language TV station in Italy.

Love the belly flop - reminded me of Shannon. I wish he was gone anyway.
Sets things up nicely for Wednesday. Argentina goes to Uruguay. The winner goes to the World Cup, the loser will need Ecuador to drop points in Chile to slip into the Conmebol-Concacaf playoff. It looks like it starts at 4 pm our time if you can find a feed.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Sets things up nicely for Wednesday. Argentina goes to Uruguay. The winner goes to the World Cup, the loser will need Ecuador to drop points in Chile to slip into the Conmebol-Concacaf playoff. It looks like it starts at 4 pm our time if you can find a feed.

Come on Diego Forlan & Sebastian Abreu...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm

So that Davies guy that you are talking about, is that the one that was just in the car accident today?

I just saw on the ESPN bottom line Charlie Davies in the hospital after a one car crash that killed another person. Don't know how seriously he is hurt though. Hopefully he's okay.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Ugh: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=685106&sec=global&cc=5901

Not exactly how Conor would probably want to become the #2 striker, but without any knowledge of what happened in the accident, I'd say its safe to say Charlie Davies will not be available for Coach Bradley any time soon.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Yeah, same guy... They haven't disclosed what the injuries were, but are "not life threatening" but did require surgery. I have no idea, but it's not good... The Altidore/Davies tandem was a very good one...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:22 pm

watching SportsCenter...they don't know much about it. Brian Kenney just said injuries could be "POSSIBLY career ending injuries" They also said he might have been in surgery for 5 hours. Does not sound good, forget about the soccer, but does not sound good for him at all.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 pm

here's a DC news report on the crash

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/One-Dead-Road-Blocked-in-GW-Parkway-Accident-64073357.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Too bad. Nothing good happens in a car at 3:15 a.m.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 am

Eek... The injuries were brutal:

a lacerated bladder, he tibia and femur in Davies' right leg were broken and he also sustained facial fractures and a fracture in his left elbow in the accident...

7587 is right... Nothing good ever happens after midnight...

Conor Casey's two goals help US qualify for World Cup... Article

The car was literally torn in half, such a sad incident...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 pm

I have a feeling in the next couple days there will be a report of speeds in excess of 100mph and BAC in excess of .15. Those pictures look gruesome.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Indeed... One thing to note is that Davies was NOT driving... Not that it really makes it any less horrific.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 pm

The GW parkway is built more like the old Columbia river highway than I-84.

It's definitely not 100MPH territory.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Very sad. It reminds me of the movie, "Bella."
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down