Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary

3 posters

Go down

Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary Empty Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am

I was looking into ESPN's 30 for 30 project, basically for the network's 30th anniversary they commissioned 30 outside directors to do sports pieces about subjects that mattered to them, one of them will be about the friendship and life of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. Looks like it will come out early next year, but I am eagerly anticipating it.

The director for the piece is Bill Couturie, who has won an Academy awards amongst many others for his documentary projects. Here's his little blurb he stated about the project:

“I have a heart the size of a lion.”
- Hank Gathers, The Today Show

Hank Gathers was the heart of the Lions until his own heart failed him. Then the rest of the Lions, led by Hank’s homey Bo Kimble, picked up the slack and against all odds came a whisker away from taking the NCAA title, beating powerhouse Michigan in a classic game. Bo’s on court tributes to his fallen friend- the lefty fouls, the closed eyes- are the stuff of basketball legend. A ton of heart.

But there is another heart to this lion: the “System” that provided method to the seeming madness of “Paul Ball” – named after the guru of go himself, Paul Westhead. Paul’s system was magic (and big fun to watch) – IF you had the right players. Without them, the system looked like crap. Just ask the Enver (where’s the “D”?) Nuggets.

But at Loyola, a small LA college completely off the radar for college ball, a non-entity in the NCAA, Westhead got the players he needed. Two freshmen from Philly, via USC. Paul caught a little luck in that he was from Philly, too. A preacher from back home told the boys to go with Paul. They did. The rest is pure basketball history.

You can’t make this stuff up. In fact, that’s the yardstick I use to measure great doc material – is it too amazing to be fiction? The story of Gathers, Westhead and Kimble, set against the Loyola years and the run at a national title, is too dramatic to NOT be real. As a fictional film, it is over-the-top. But as a doc, it’s pure gold.

Here's the link:

http://30for30.espn.com/film/gurus-of-go.html
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary Empty Re: Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:01 pm

That's going to be a stunning show. I look forward to it as well.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary Empty Re: Upcoming Hank Gathers/LMU Documentary

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Paul Westhead is now the coach of the Ducks women's team. He has said that Paul ball lives.

This year will be interesting.

The show should be fun.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Paul Westhead is now the coach of the Ducks women's team. He has said that Paul ball lives.

This year will be interesting.

The show should be fun.

I think he's made for coaching college basketball. His stint with helping the Sonics wasn't so pretty...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 am

BUMP

Will be airing on ABC at 2 PST and 4 EST on Saturday (I think, the listings are showing a different title, don't believe them)

Nice little lead in for the Final Four match-ups and VERY cool that it will be debuting on broadcast television.

All of the reviews say it is a very excellent and overall affecting piece... I'm really looking forward to it.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down