Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sort-of research question...

+27
onetouchfutbol
jpscholar
ktinpurple
pilot10
youngalum
VillaGorilla
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
ShipstadPilot11
DaTruRochin
GUPhantom
purple haze
pms275
jc
Geezaldinho
mattywizz
UPSoccerFanatic
eProf
A_Fan
Harry Redknapp
Stonehouse
Indigo Kid
exsmith21
purple pride
SoreKnees
aleppiek
amg
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty Re: A sort-of research question...

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 am

Personally, I love that the girls always applaud the crowd after every game (road games too?). They never forget to "thank" the crowd in this way and I find that endearing and I think it is a sign of a humble team that doesn't take the support for granted.

There was a student who was unable to be on campus last fall for personal reasons. He is a huge soccer fan and he WAS able to make it to the game at Stanford. I found out that some (I don't know how many) of the girls noticed him at the game and said hello and thanked him for coming as they were ushered to the bus after the game (the loss they had just suffered did not deter them from reaching out). In addition, I asked the girls if they would all sign one of their posters for him after I had it mounted on foam board and they were more than happy to. When my friend came back in the spring to see that poster, full of signatures and personal messages, in his room, it meant a lot to him.

This is an incredible program and I agree with everything that has been posted above.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty Re: A sort-of research question...

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Personally, I love that the girls always applaud the crowd after every game (road games too?). They never forget to "thank" the crowd in this way and I find that endearing and I think it is a sign of a humble team that doesn't take the support for granted.

There was a student who was unable to be on campus last fall for personal reasons. He is a huge soccer fan and he WAS able to make it to the game at Stanford. I found out that some (I don't know how many) of the girls noticed him at the game and said hello and thanked him for coming as they were ushered to the bus after the game (the loss they had just suffered did not deter them from reaching out). In addition, I asked the girls if they would all sign one of their posters for him after I had it mounted on foam board and they were more than happy to. When my friend came back in the spring to see that poster, full of signatures and personal messages, in his room, it meant a lot to him.

This is an incredible program and I agree with everything that has been posted above.

This is awesome... thank you for sharing! The posts in this thread encapsulate my experience with the team... The team is approachable, they are excellent representatives of UP on and off the field, and of course they kick the snot out of most other teams. Very Happy

We are the U of P!
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:17 pm

One other legacy from Clive that has not been mentioned is the coaching staff. He was able to spot not just on field talent, but people with the ability to carry on the program in a successful manner.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Isn't it interesting how unquantifiable this question seems to be. It seems that the overwhelming response seems to be that of a touchy feely nature. There just seems to be an overwhelming emotional attachment at a community level for this team. I cant help but be reminded of the scene last year against Santa Clara was it? When Rachel with a blown ACL was put on the field in the closing minutes. What a compliment to our program that the coach of our fiercest rival would knowingly nod his head in approval to our coach. It is moments like that that stick with me, and let me know that I am supporting a quality group of people.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm

The last post, referencing Jerry Smith's nod to Garrett, reminds me of something else. I think being part of a conference of small schools with no football, but that still fields one of the top Division I women's soccer programs, plays a part. I think a lot of we fans like that.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:23 pm

GUPhantom wrote:Yes. Simply put...all credit has to go to Clive!

Well...I think a little credit needs to be given to Ana Del Bosque.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 pm

MattyWizz..

Tell me about Ana. I googled her. But honestly...don't know much about her career as a Pilot.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Ha ha ha...Matty could probably go on and on about her...

Let's just say if you were of a certain age she would definitely have stood out to you.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:42 pm

I noticed she had played with the Mexican National Team ... very athletic and hot latina? I get it! Shocked
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Any more questions on why people watch women's soccer. Andrew? Rolling Eyes
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by amg Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Geez- You're probably aware that FIFA president Sepp Blatter proposed a variant of that argument several years ago:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/82103
Kind of funny in that Blatter is an odd guy, but mostly not smart--especially for the president of FIFA. It does kind of get to the heart of the question though; what does it take for women to be taken seriously as athletes? Lots of good answers already, so I'm kind of just re-stating in context.

I'm also realizing that Friday night's crowd will be an interesting test for some of my working hypotheses--its the first time I can remember when there is a meaningful Timbers game and a meaningful UP women's soccer game at the same time. Will one drain fans from the other?

Thanks again for the responses and ideas. Andrew.

amg
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:48 pm

I know where I will be tonight. Wink
And I know one will drain fans from the other, if only a group of 4 or so.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 am

Whoever chose the Timbers over the Pilots got a raw deal (as is usually the case). Timbers fell 2-1 to "lowly Austin" when they could have claimed the league title with a win.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:10 am

Looks like I made the right choice coming to Merlo. The Timbers have wrapped up the league title already (OK, almost) and I wasn't about to miss a duel of Top 15 teams.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty the fans aren't just soccer dads and moms, or alums, either.

Post by youngalum Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:23 am

I fell in love with soccer while a student at UP. I had never been to a soccer game before, and first it was just something to do. But the night the lights went on I think I really connected. I was abroad during the 05 season, so even with missing that I was drawn to the Pilots. I think the Pilots provide a great sense of community--which is what a sports team is really supposed to provide along with entertainment.

I worked with the homeless in Portland for a year after graduating and discovered that many of our street friends follow the women's soccer team closely, and they notice and pick out students wandering around downtown wearing Pilots gear. One really lovely older gentlemen who suffers from intense schizophrenia once wrote the entire history of the program on a napkin for me. (he could help those of us with failing memories). The cookies Bon Apetit donates to various community programs, the fact that Blanchet House was started by UP Alum brings UP's presence into the community, but the Pilots, especially the women's soccer team are the face. The fact that they are fantastic competitors helps of course. This may not directly answer your questions, but it is interesting to realize that the fans of the Pilots are not just in the stands, or on the internet, but also on the streets and under the bridges.

As I attend the games I enjoy seeing the player's families, and then all the other fans who I now know by face and run into around town. In the end, the games are beautiful to watch, always entertaining, and I love seeing the teams develop and shift each year. We have a lot to take pride in, from the quality of game to the service to the community, to the awards the team receives.

I think the points made about parents attending with their kids and turning into fans is really evident. Along the same lines, taking a sociological look at the game attendence, It doesn't hurt the fan base that Portland is highly populated with lesbians, many of whom love soccer and come to the games bringing partners and friends. I'm an alum myself, but I think I would be at the games even if not simply because of this aspect of the fan base.

youngalum
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty Build it and they will come

Post by pilot10 Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 am

As an alum of the women's soccer program I'm totally amped to read the support and generousity in sharing thoughts from everyone in this dicussion - you guys ROCK and it's you, the fans, that have kept Clive's legacy alive and thriving in Portland!!

As evidenced by the comments on this thread, the success of the program probably can't be attributed to one specific thing but rather a whole array of factors that combine to make the magical situation that is "a women's soccer team from a small liberal arts college being a national contender with sell-out crowds of extreme fans" (to quote exsmith21). And the give-take between the fans and the players cannot be emphasized enough! The more passionate the fans become, the more encouraged the players are to perform and entertain and bring value to the fan. And the coaches ensure that the team is able to deliver a quality product consistently by providing the tools.
[Sidenote: A dissection of the fan demographic would bring useful information I imagine...is it for example, the diehard, tribal groups like the Villa Men Drum Squad or is it familes of soccer parents and youth teams that carry the Merlo ticket sales and gameday experience?]
Clive had faith that if he built a stand-up program, the fan support would come. Both Clive and Garrett taught us that we were greater as a team than as 11 individuals...we all had (and they made sure we knew exactly what) each of our roles were...they made it clear to us that earning our right to play went beyond the soccer pitch, and extending to all areas of life..they expected a high standard of professionalism AND also made sure to instill in us the confidence that they believed we were capable of achieving this. Sport, I think, is so attractive to watch because it's a display of excellence (or if it falls short, then the pursuit of excellence). The institution, UP and the athletics department, makes the product available (home games) and makes sure the atmosphere is cohesive to the soccer culture that has been evolving here (one of the nation's best collegiate soccer pitches, intimacy of Merlo field, night lights, gameday promotions, Pilot Kids Club, Pilot Club, student section, location of team benches, etc.). The fans know what to expect and are willing to dedicate time and money to come to games because they are guaranteed to have a good time and be entertained. Evidence: the Merlo Field record for women's soccer over the past 19 years is: 176-20-7

One last comment, to speak to the dilemma of the difference between the women's and men's program...we need to remember that the women play for different reasons than the men. Where men can pursue professional soccer careers and make big money the vast majority of women are playing out the pinnacle of their careers on Merlo. They exude this when they play, they enjoy the moments, celebrate every goal, step on to the field every time as if it was the national championship final, they appreciate and recognize the phenomenal fans at Merlo. At the same time, as is obvious by the current teams, they are cognitive of the fact that they need to prepare for life-after-soccer, so they pursue academic excellence and aspire to be stand-up members of the community (as evidence by the many sincere comments made about the players' connection with community).

Thanks Andrew for kicking off this discussion and good luck with the write-up.

pilot10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:59 am

purple haze wrote:Whoever chose the Timbers over the Pilots got a raw deal (as is usually the case). Timbers fell 2-1 to "lowly Austin" when they could have claimed the league title with a win.
I pretty much had to go. There's plenty more chances to watch the Pilots, but I was not about to miss a chance to see the Timbers winning the league. Not after having such a fantastic time in my first season supporting them.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:06 am

Pilot10 welcome to the forum and thanks for your insiders voice and insights.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 am

Pilot10

Thank you for sharing your perspective. It confirmed what I have heard about the program. As soccer fans, coaches, parent, we are very proud of you and your colleagues over the years. There really is a sense of something special that is to be cherished and preserved and honored.

And it's fun, too.

I think you also provided another dimension to the phenomenon, which is the sustaining feature. You gave credit to the fans. But we feed off the payers. So it's mutually reinforcing. Similarly, recruting the right palyers is crucial: they have to be good oplayers, but also good studetns and good people. Bringing recruits to Portland for a weekend visit, and having them walk out onto the field at Merlo on a Friday night with 4,000+ fans must help. And they get to see and meet the current players and think - that could be me. So then you have the chance to get the right players for the next few years and it keeps on going.

Pilot10 - if you're willing to share this ... what was it that persuaded you to come to UP?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty The (sort-of) results...

Post by amg Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their insights to my question; it was a really interesting topic to think through--so much so that I ended up feeling in a little bit over my head. This soccer writing thing is just a side hobby for me, and I have to make sure it doesn't distract from the day job! I'm afraid in this case I may not have fully done justice to the richness of people's experiences with the team (if only I had a few free months to put it all together...). But I do think it's a great story with interesting implications for other women's soccer fans, and hope at least some people might find it interesting:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/09/14/where-women%e2%80%99s-soccer-is-king/

(by the way, the picture of Clive on there was included by the site editor--not me! The editor also seems to have accidently put his name in the tag-line at the start rather than mine--but I'm identified as the author at the end of the piece)

Thanks again, Andrew.

amg
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 2 Empty The Praise

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Great job on the article, Andrew. That one gets saved.

One thing - If you were trying to point to the Black hammer excerpt you mentioned, It currently points to the Amazon book link, not to the excerpt a fan transcribed.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 pm

haha and NEVER apologize for an epic mega-afro picture of Clive... If I could have a poster of something like that, it would be my prized posession...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Wow... bravo!!! A terrific and thought-provoking read. Should be required reading for any poster here on Pilot Nation.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 pm

I forsee a sticky in this thread's future.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Ditto to the last few posts. Great job and inspiring reading.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next