Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The USC Result: Let's Discuss. All Replies Wecome!

+6
Oscar
pms275
Harry Redknapp
bluffer
Geezaldinho
FANatic
10 posters

Go down

The USC Result:  Let's Discuss.  All Replies Wecome! Empty The USC Result: Let's Discuss. All Replies Wecome!

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:34 pm

Wasn't able to hear the game today or join the chat. Just saw the score. Disappointing, yes. But I can't say I am surprised. USC is now 8-1-1.

Would appreciate opinions on how we played today. Obviously Michelle Enyeat is getting a ton of assists, so she must be in the middle of the action up top. However, I am surprised she has not scored more goals, only because of what she did last year: 16 goals in 23 of 24 games; she was a sub the first seven or eight games; she was injured and went without a goal the last five games of the season, the last four being in the tournament.

Soooo - looking at the big picture, how did we handle the adversity created by the emotionally-charged, harrowing OT loss to UCLA on Friday night? How did our back line perform? What about finishing? Are we getting any stronger at imposing our will on the other team? Did we control possession for most of the game, as we usually do? How did Hailee do? Were the two goals allowed caused by goalkeeper misjudgement or defensive breakdowns?

Let's have a discussion on the Pilots' two games this week-end. Are we all still pretty confident that we'll be a force to be reckoned with come tournament time?

Would apprecite any and all replies.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

The USC Result:  Let's Discuss.  All Replies Wecome! Empty Re: The USC Result: Let's Discuss. All Replies Wecome!

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:22 pm

Getting heathy would sure help, and getting everyone back in form would, too.

players are playing out of position because of injuries, and some are playing two or three spots during a single games for the same reason.

We knew at the start of the season that this would be the toughest week. It would have been a challenge to get through the weekend if we were healthy.

You should have been surprised that USC was tough, they've been highly ranked for years, and I think their new coach is finally putting it all together. They should be a force for years. In some ways, I think they are better than UCLA.

We're not alone. Santa Clara lost to Cal, North Carolina lost again, Notre Dame is in the tank, Florida lost again, Virginia drew their game. Parity has hit hard this year. All those kids that worshipped the last generation are coming into their own.
Ar least we are losing to ranked teams by close scores. Some of the other "powers" are getting beat by unranked teams on a regular basis

Al we can do is hope the team gets healthy and keep working. It ain't over, were undefeated in the confrence Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

The USC Result:  Let's Discuss.  All Replies Wecome! Empty Re: The USC Result: Let's Discuss. All Replies Wecome!

Post by bluffer Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:44 pm

I finally had to register to weigh in on these discussions. Having watched and listened to the majority of games for the last several years I thought I would add my opinion.

The line-up I would like to see, forwards - Enyeart and Chandhoke, midfields - Woznuk and either Schmidt or Winters as holding and Reed and Tsao on the outside. Defense would be Lopez, Michaelson, Cronkcrite and Scifo. First off the bench would be Budge. Unfortunately Budge doesn' have the foot speed to be a really effective forward or wing.

I have read with interest the discussion about moving Enyeart back to wing which I think would be a disasterous decision. As of today's game she has 10 assists with two goals. If I recall she had 6 assists for all of last season. My question is why isn't she being given the same balls that she provides everyone else? The one thing I have observed is that she has tremendous speed and to take advantage of that why aren't any early through balls coming her way, or balls of any type. One would think that as many assists as she is dishing out she would be everyone's favorite target.

I do agree about Reed holding the ball too long. At both of the UCLA and USC games she had too many chances to count to pass the ball through the defense instead of trying to run with it and instead, she tried to dribble by her defender and to the goal while the rest of the defense recovered. When she did pass the ball it was into a congested area and had little chance of leading to a goal.

I know that everyone appreciates Portland playing a passing game of soccer but instead of trying to make that last pass in the box, which creates a foot race with the keeper, who why not make that pass 10-15 years in front of the box. That gives the forward a chance to beat a defender to the ball and really makes the keeper think twice about coming out. I think that Enyeart's or Chandhoke's "action" to the ball would more often than not beat the "reaction" of any defender. USC's winning goal was exactly that type. Early through ball to Rodriguez and chipped over the oncoming goalee who couldn't cover that much ground before Rodriguez got her foot on the ball.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Interesting read, Bluffer,

First off, I'm not so sure Enyeart WASN'T playing out of the midfied today. She was in there quite a lot when Chandhoke and budge were both in there, and Budge seemed to be playing forward.

I guess that needs clarification.

Ellie will learn that D1 isn't high school soon enough. She'll learn to trust her team mates soon enough. I think all freshmen learn this, some sooner than others. If there's a really strong leader (like Christine for megan, or Megan for the others, the lesson comes sooner.

As to when to make the attacking pass, yeah, that's the key. But you can't make the attack too early, or teams have a chance to recover. I think we're guessing if the timing is right, at this point. Sometimes a race with the keeper is as productive as a race against 3 defenders.

I wasn't at the game, but maybe Hailie's challenges were a little mis-timed. It's to be expected at this point in her career.

Remember, Cory was a little suspect until the end of her junior year, when it finally all came together for her. After that, she was a wall. There's always a learning curve.

Last edited by on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:44 pm

bluffer,

Glad you registered. Welcome. Look forward to your future posts. Sounds like you are going to add alot here.

Great point about Michelle Enyeart. She's dishing to everyone - why aren't they returning the favor? I agree she has tremendous speed and that speed should be utilized.

I was at a practice awhile back, and Garrett took time to have Michelle break for the goal repeatedly from the left while Elli passed to her from the right side. Every other player on the team stood bunched up between the two so Elli couldn't see Michelle make her move. I definitely heard Garrett say to utilize this play because no one can stay with Michelle. That's right, he said no one can stay with Michelle.

I was delighted to see this and looked forward to seeing it applied. Well, it's been about three weeks and I'm still waiting to see it applied. Maybe they've tried, I don't know. I can say with near certainty that if Megan was in there, the poo would be a flyin'.

Thanks geezer and bluffer! C'mon folks, I'm dying to hear your thoughts. One new member today, that's bluffer, and already he's throwing out great food for thought.

Jump on in everyone. The water is oh so warm!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:51 pm

At some point today UP had 6 freshmen on the field: DeYoung, Tsao, Jackman, Winters, Reed, and Schmidt. OK so Schmidt is not exactly a greenhorn but this is a young team, missing Lopez, both Rapinoes, Sweeney, and today both Nicholson and Davis were out. There was no back up keeper on the bench! They played OT on Friday against UCLA on the road.

Let's not start picking them apart after two narrow losses to top 20 teams under these circumstances.

Budge has started all but one game in three plus seasons: all of a sudden she's not good enough? Come on. Reed is learning- sure, I'd like to see her pass earlier some times, but some times she has the pace and guile to get past her cover and make something happen. She's showing signs of the touch that might make her the successor to Woznuk next year. Winters has been solid. I've had my doubts about Tsao's pace and ability to cope with the pace - but today she played defense, midfield and forward!!! Schmidt is still adjusting to life as a student after time in China. And they've had the emotional drama of three serious knee injuries - which must have realy hit them hard.

This is the tough prep for the WCC games and the playoffs. Remain calm, Pilot fans!
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Martin...thanks for adding perspective to the conversation. I completely agree with you on Budge and Reed.

There is a tendency to forget this team is doing quite well considering the obstacles they have had to overcome. The challenges they face now do nothing but help them in conference play and ultimately the playoffs.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:33 am

Great response, Martin Jol.

I remember when Angie was a freshman. Her feet were so quick I could hardly see them. Often, she would try to bull her way through two defenders or go around a defender with her quick feet. Many times I recall her being stripped of the ball. I'm sure she wasn't used to not having her way with opposing defenders on the pitch. She came back in 2005 after her redshirt year with the U-20 team, and was a star on our 2nd national chamionship team!

Thanks for mentioning that we had 6 freshman out there at some point yesterday. I didn't know that. That's a very telling piece of information.

By the way, I read that Kelsey had a mild concussion from the UCLA game. Anyone know what's ailing Korie Nicholson? I noticed she hasn't played in the last few games after having played quite a bit in the first games of the season. She's a very valuable, junior central defender with size, strength and experience. It seemed as if she was the primary back-up for Emily and Kelli. And with Kelli playing some outside back this season, Korie was becoming a key player on the back line. Hope to see her return soon. She's labored in obscurity for two years now, and seems ready for a bigger role with the team.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Oscar Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:03 am

I think Ellie Reed is going to be a star. Her athleticism and her drive will serve her well. That said, she plays like a freshman. I'm sure that for most of her life she was the best player on the field and could do what she wanted.

Now, she is not the best player even on her own team but it's hard to unlearn those habits. I saw the same thing with Frankie Lopez on Saturday night. Both will learn how to play as part of the whole. I'm so looking forward to watching them both play over the next few years.

Oscar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:52 am

Good point about Elli, Oscar. I agree her future seems to be very bright.

And thanks for the mention of Frankie Lopez. Although I don't follow the men's team, I met Frankie back in August and came away very impressed with the young man. He has the self-confidence you see in great players and the charisma of a true leader. I knew I had just met someone very special.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:48 pm

I think we all came into this season expecting great things - at least I know I did. The fortunes of the game have not gone Portland's way to say the least. I agree with Martin. They have by necessity become a very young team. The players are learning with each of these losses to very good teams and the coaching staff is learning the capabilities of the new players as well.

Hopefully when Stephanie gets back the lineup will settle down.

They mentioned on the netcast Saturday night that Korie was not available but I do not remember anything specific about her condition.

When is one of you big spenders going to pony up so the road games will have video over the internet?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:59 pm

It was stated early in the broadcast that Korie has shin splints.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:55 pm

I have a question:
Will having Lopez back help the offense out?
I've gone back and forth on this question. At first I didn't see how it would much. With all the instability on the back line this year, i would think that lopez would need to focus on keeping the defense solid.
But then i remembered that Lopez has always had the tendency to be a great attacking defender.
What does everyone think?
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm

Despite the struggles this weekend, I still think our chances of winning another title is as good as anyones. I think that's a positive way to look at it...considering how other teams are also doing "so well" this season. Except for a couple of players still healing ...and not counting the ones who are lost for the season....we should finally have the "full team" together by the Oregon game. Hoooorah!

As I take a look at the roster now, I still believe there's enough talent on the team to carry us far into the playoffs. But what I keep coming back to as the missing ingredient with this team is....leadership!!!. I believe its the core reason for being unable to finish games...and finish teams emphatically this season. Lindsey Huie comes to mind. Clive had to teach her to tone down her criticism of teammates at times. But she eventually became an awesome leader.

During the start of a game, I'm thinking our opposition is sensing early that they can play with us. We're missing the "leave no doubt factor". Its the factor...where after a game....We KNOW we devestated the opposition...but especially ...the opposition KNOWs they've been schooled and violated! .

That's the role I saw Megan assuming. She is missed immensely. She may have tried to persuade her teammates from the bench...but she would've been more influencial on the pitch!! I believe she delivers the "take no prisoners" attitude the others are looking for. She's our Braveheart! She's a pull-the-pin-on-the-granade type of player who can convince the team to follow her and...."let's take that Hill from those poor suckers!! The Pilots would follow....guns blazing! Hell...I would! Other teams would have no choice but to duck from the onslaught! Speaking of Ducks.....

Let's pull the pin Pilots!!! I want to see only feathers left in Eugene!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:11 am

1) ninjapizza - thanks for the info that Korie has shin splints. Ouch! I hope there are no tiny fractures.

2) thepuck - Stephanie Lopez is definitely a leader on this team. She will definitely give a lift to the whole team. She will stabalize the back line. And to answer your question, yes, she is a great attacking defender. I would think she would add a spark to our offense and possibly help focus our attack into a more confident, lethal group.

3) Phantom - I agree with your appraisal of the leadership void that exits on the offensive side of this year's team. I have no douibt that things would be different if Megan were out there. She's the leader you follow into battle. I think Stephanie will give the team leadership and I look forward to her return. However, there's just no replacing Megan (although Rachael was scoring a goal a game until she went down).

In truth, we only had four able bodies on the bench for USC. And NO back-up goalie. Janelle Jacka and Kristen Kelly have very little experience. So we really only had two subs: Sophie and Sara Jackman. So Coach Smith really only had 12 able field players to use on Sunday. And he subbed and interchanged players more than I can remember.

Putting this into context, along with the fact that apparently we played hard and competitively, I would say that this past week-end, while difficult to swallow at first, actually showed a very determined and agressive group of mostly very young players playing there hearts out. I'm hoping this last week-end's experience bodes well for the team when we get more veteran bodies back and prepare for the real big games coming up in conference and tournament play.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down