Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 new Rule Changes...

3 posters

Go down

3 new Rule Changes... Empty 3 new Rule Changes...

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4241811

I'm fine with the injured player FT rule, but see potential problems with the other ones.

The replay to judge what is flagrant and what isn't I guess is OK, but again it seems like it could potentially add to some serious time lags in important parts of the game (and we have no idea how long they will take, so it's not like we could run to the P Club for a refreshment while we wait). I get they are trying to protect the players, but it's not like most college games are going to have 35 different angles and a full camera production crew like they have for every pro game. It could be difficult to really consistently enforce this rule.

The new rule for charging under the basket essentially brings the same rule that was introduced to the NBA a few years back BUT it doesn't add in the arc that you now see in the lanes for the pro's. Ugh, this just leaves WAY too much open to interpretation in my mind, essentially the space is defined as the area from the front of the rim arcing around to the backboard. Why put the rule in if you aren't going to provide the visual aid for the referees?? I can already imagine the half court refs trying to enforce this rule and it makes me shudder a bit.

I think the 2 rules I mentioned are good in spirit and do promote safety, but IMO the way they are being implemented seems like it will create a whole new batch of problems. Haha thank god we have Dave Libbey to guide Mr. Bean and the rest of the fine WCC officials pale
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

3 new Rule Changes... Empty Re: 3 new Rule Changes...

Post by PilotNut Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Agreed on the replay... I think it's good *if* they can complete the review in a timely manner, and establish what and when plays can be reviewed. But what about non-televised games? So some games/teams/players get the benefit of replay if the game is on tv, but not others? Will this force schools to set up some cameras (even something like the Big Sky Conference does online) for games that are otherwise not televised? And who gets to request a foul be reviewed? The coaches?

So is the rule stating that the play can be reviewed to determine if a flagrant foul & ejection were previously called, and then review to potentially not eject the player? Or can any flagrant foul be reviewed to determine if there should be an ejection? What if no foul is called, and a coach wants a play reviewed for a flagrant foul? Hmmm... I support the rule in theory, but lets see how it is implemented... It could be ugly if every hard foul is reviewed to determine if its flagrant or not... and if there should be an ejection or not...
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 pm

PilotNut wrote:Agreed on the replay... I think it's good *if* they can complete the review in a timely manner, and establish what and when plays can be reviewed. But what about non-televised games? So some games/teams/players get the benefit of replay if the game is on tv, but not others? Will this force schools to set up some cameras (even something like the Big Sky Conference does online) for games that are otherwise not televised? And who gets to request a foul be reviewed? The coaches?

So is the rule stating that the play can be reviewed to determine if a flagrant foul & ejection were previously called, and then review to potentially not eject the player? Or can any flagrant foul be reviewed to determine if there should be an ejection? What if no foul is called, and a coach wants a play reviewed for a flagrant foul? Hmmm... I support the rule in theory, but lets see how it is implemented... It could be ugly if every hard foul is reviewed to determine if its flagrant or not... and if there should be an ejection or not...

You are right - it's a mess right now. There is a rule that says that an ejected player can't return to the court, so If that call was made, I guess that's it....

My take is you will never see an ejection until the replay is looked at.

It would seem that having cameras turned on is no big deal. every school has them for scouting anyway.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:It would seem that having cameras turned on is no big deal. every school has them for scouting anyway.

True, but they dont currently have the ability to replay them at the scorer's table... The tapes/cameras are up in the rafters, and the video is sent over the 'net to the (paying?) subscribers... Maybe this will force/encourage schools to improve their filming and broadcasting capabilities, which wouldnt be a bad thing...
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down