Who wants to be #1???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who wants to be #1???

Post by GUPhantom on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:42 pm

#1 Stanford lost today to Denver 1-0.

Looks like this is going to be one crazy season of soccer! Many of the usual suspects in the Top 10 are having a tough and inconsistent start. Notre Dame and UNC come to mind. But even our beloved Pilots, with wins under their belts, have been struggling to find their groove! If you don't bring your A game, any team now-a-days has a chance to knock you off!

The Portland State game today was fantastic. I loved the teamwork and individual efforts they displayed. For the first time since the opening game agaist FSU...I saw a sense of purpose from the Pilots on the pitch today! They put away a team that should have no chance at a win. Very businesslike. That's more like the Pilot team I would expect to see. Hopefully, this win and the return of Sophie will be a turning point. We certainly need a pick me up after losing the Rapinoes!

Kudos to the crowd today! I didn't hear the number that attended but I was very surprised to see so many people there....for a game against PSU? Love it! Awesome public support! The Pilots certainly gave them a good show!

UCLA is next! I like the psychological momentum we've staged for this BIG game. It will certainly be a good indicator as to whether the Pilots have it together and improved. I think they have. UCLA has had games against a couple of our WCC brethen...San Diego and Pepperdine...both ties!

Let's do this right and make a big statement next weekend! GO PILOTS!!!!

GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who wants to be #1???

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:33 pm

The secret is to be #1 after the last game.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:03 am

That's right Geezer!

Or at least be the #1 seed in our bracket for the tournament! Its all about positioning, isn't it? Of course... historically the #1 seed hasn't been a guarantee of having Home games for the Pilots...but...hopefully this year....my season tickets payoff and we get a chance to watch em make their way towards the Cup!

GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:15 am

No, I mean after the LAST game.

You know, the one where we all get NCAA Champs T-shirts.

The first time we got those, we were seeded 8th.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:37 am

What I saw yesterday at the PSU game was something that is a hallmark of championship teams and something I usually see year after year with the Pilots: KILLER INSTINCT!!! We were still playing hard and dominating in the 85th minute as much as we were in the 15th minute. We don't want teams to ever believe they even have the slightest chance against us - particularly non-elite teams. The truly elite teams have their own swagger and no one is going to intimidate them, including the Pilots.

Although it's true from the big picture that it only matters to be ranked Number #1 after the Cup is presented, in reality there is a regular season to play that is critical in the development of team chemistry, building emotional momentum, and finding the right line-ups with the right people in the right places playing in just the right way. With graduating seniors and new freshman every year, as well as dealing with injuries and national team call-ups, every single year you really have to start over. You may have a great returning nucleus, but still, every year's team is unique and should be appreciated for what they are and what they accomplish.

I think it's great to be be rated #1 at any point of the season. Although it means nothing in the big picture, and adds more pressure on the team with big, large, red bulls-eyes on their backs, I think it still is a good thing psychologically for the players and coaches, and gives fans something to thump their chests about.

FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum