Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things we now know:

3 posters

Go down

Things we now know: Empty Things we now know:

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:19 am

(1) Updated WCC standings as of tonight:

GU 9-0
UP 7-2
SMC6-4
USD5-5
SCU5-5
Pep4-6
LMU1-8
USF1-9

(2) We are guaranteed a winning season this year. Very Happy

(3) With SCU & USD losing, our battle for 2nd place is going to likely be only with SMC, if we win the games we "should" win... we now have a 2-game lead on the Gaels. SMC looked good vs. GU tonight, and had a chance to win in the last 5 seconds. How will they react Saturday? Will they let down? Can the Pilots bounce back from their attrocious-at-times win?

(4) I havent done the math, but the odds of us playing on Friday in the WCC tourney must be very low now (thanks LMU & Pepp!)

Last edited by PilotNut on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected LMU's record)
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Things we now know: Empty Re: Things we now know:

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:45 am

Well, if we can beat LMU and Pepperdine at home, we are no worse than 9-5, and USD and SCU would have to beat Gonzaga to equal that record.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:42 am

Can't argue that logic.

It was kind of funny last night, I actually found myself cheering for the Zags, and I think that I will until we get to the Vegas portion of the season.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ManOfVision Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm

I just don't want to have to play SMC with a healthy Mills in the WCC tournament. If SMC finishes fourth, then they'd have to play Gonzaga in the WCC semis, right? That way, we'd only have to take out one of the Gonzaga-SMC duo to win the auto bid.

ManOfVision
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:12 pm

ManOfVision wrote:I just don't want to have to play SMC with a healthy Mills in the WCC tournament. If SMC finishes fourth, then they'd have to play Gonzaga in the WCC semis, right? That way, we'd only have to take out one of the Gonzaga-SMC duo to win the auto bid.

Agreed! If we are the #2 seed, we would play the winner of the #3 vs. #6/#7 game... so we have to hope that SMC (if Mills is back *and effective*) is the #4 seed. But who is going to step up to steal the #3 spot from SMC? I thought SCU could, but their loss last night is a head scratcher scratch .

Ohhh! think about this scenario: we are #2 seed and play #3/#6/#7 (and it seems like it could very well be #6 or #7, the way things are shaking out), of course we advance Wink . GU is #1 seed, SMC #4, and with Mills back, upsets GU and advances to the final against us. We then play SMC for the auto bid... I think I would rather play SMC than GU in the tourney (but lets re-visit this after Saturday...!)

I am getting way ahead of myself here. Beat SMC! Basketball
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down