Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine...

5 posters

Go down

Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine... Empty Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine...

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm surprised that no one else has posted on this yet... Here's a link to Oregon Live:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/01/pilots_forward_bryan_irwin_is.html
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine... Empty Good luck to him

Post by footyfan Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Brian has athleticism and size going for him..However I think it'll be a tough pull for him to crack the next level.
With his ability to either get or have a British passport..he might have better luck trying to crack into the lower leagues over in Europe.
Not a knock on Brian at all , just seems a more likely possibility.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine... Empty Re: Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine...

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:46 pm

I like Brian's game but I wonder if he has the pace to play professionally. I hope I am wrong and wish him good luck.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine... Empty Re: Bryan Irwin is at the MLS combine...

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Yeah, we'll see. He's been listed in the middle 40 group of players (below the top 10 and above the bottom 10) from what I can tell. He did score on day 3 of the combine... The quoted blogger below says "not MLS quality", but, we'll see...

http://proplayerpipeline.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/mls-combine-2009-day-3-game-1/

I hope he makes it with someone...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Irwin goes undrafted from what I can tell (with a quick scan of the 4 rounds). Maybe he'll move toward the USL...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/draft/mls/
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm

It will be interesting if he signs on anywhere as a free agent... Although since the MLS (Shortsightedly IMO) no longer supports a reserves league, the USL may very well be his destination. Unless of course he signs on at some lower level European league...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:55 am

DaTruRochin wrote:It will be interesting if he signs on anywhere as a free agent... Although since the MLS (Shortsightedly IMO) no longer supports a reserves league, the USL may very well be his destination. Unless of course he signs on at some lower level European league...

Not a bad option..If you want to be across the pond.
The money even in the lower leagues Division 1 or 2 in England or B2 or B3 in Germany or the Danish, belgian or leagues of that level would pay much more than the MLS is currently offering. And you are not "owned" for four years either.

I think it's crazy that the MLS has distanced itself from the USL.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:06 am

footyfan wrote:

I think you are going to see a lot closer relationship between the USL/MLS as the big league has gotten rid of reserve teams, and scaled down their rosters to 24. I think you are going to see a lot more loan moves to the USL, and hopefully some of the USL players brought up can prove their mettle, bringing the league some much deserved respect. I know it's not realistic, and American sporting/advertising would never accept it but my dream would be to have the MLS and USL to develop a Euro style relegation system between the leagues. I know the logistics are different here as far as travel (The U.S. is SLIGHTLY bigger than individual european countries...) and non-soccer fans would be tough to attract, but I can dream...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm

I think a lot of footie fans would like that, myself included. But it's going to be hard for all the reasons you stated, not to mention the fact that you could do all that work to get an MLS franchise and very easily end up right back in the USL a season or two later.

If there was promotion and relegation in baseball, we could have had the Mariners coming to Portland most every year...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:31 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
footyfan wrote:

I think you are going to see a lot closer relationship between the USL/MLS as the big league has gotten rid of reserve teams, and scaled down their rosters to 24. I think you are going to see a lot more loan moves to the USL, and hopefully some of the USL players brought up can prove their mettle, bringing the league some much deserved respect. I know it's not realistic, and American sporting/advertising would never accept it but my dream would be to have the MLS and USL to develop a Euro style relegation system between the leagues. I know the logistics are different here as far as travel (The U.S. is SLIGHTLY bigger than individual european countries...) and non-soccer fans would be tough to attract, but I can dream...

Possibly. I think that the USL is a fine league for training the guys who might not quite be in the top 60 college players or who don't get drafted in the MLS SuperDraft. IMO the advantage of the USL is to see where good rivalries are and where great fan bases and talent lies. The Puerto Rico USL team, for example, was a huge success, creating a South American style of ball in the US. However, I'm not sure if players can do direct transfers from Europe to the USL like they can to the MLS. Maybe someone who knows more about the USL can correct me if I'm wrong. But, Kasey Keller said that one of the things that really impressed him about the MLS was the possibility to do direct transfers from some of the leagues in the world...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm fairly certain they can (usually on a free transfer), if I recall the Timbers had a Japanese international on their team this last year, and the Sounders leading scorer from the last few years was a Frenchman, neither came up through the college ranks... I'm fairly sure there isn't anything preventing a direct transfer to the USL other than money...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if Keller was implying anything by his comments. Here's an interesting perspective:

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/usl-needs-to-compete-directly-against-mls/512
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down