Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Harry Redknapp
fan from afar
6 posters

Go down

newbie Empty newbie

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:08 pm

So there I was last week, googling for info on RPI, and I was directed to Pilot Nation. I did some reading. Wow! First reaction was FINALLY - I understand the NCAA policy on home games for the first 2 rounds. Second reaction, these guys are seriously OBSESSED!! Third reaction, how do I join?

First step - a catchy name. I thought about Pontificate Pilot, but too long and hard to spell - also sounds too much like that other guy. Paunchy Pilot? Pompous Pilot? I finally settled on a more descriptive handle, since I live in upstate New York.

My daughter lives in Portland, and I have been visiting her once a year. I saw two games last year, and two this fall (UCLA, USC), and I'm hooked. I'm a retired coach, and I just love the way they play and the way Garrett coaches.

Question - For the past few years, I understand the Pilots were seeded but had to travel. Was this because there was not another unseeded team within the allowable distance, as per the rules, or did Portland just get the shaft?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

newbie Empty Re: newbie

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Combination of both. Pilots got screwed and there were not enough teams in distance. NCAA has changed rules so that now it just has to be one team, WSU for us this year, unless you are a #1 seed in which case you get to be home.

Unless NCAA decides to mess with you anyway.

So although we'd like to have been a #1 seed and had home field advantage as long as possible, at least we got to be home until QF, and maybe longer if we win out and Stanford does not.

Our obsession with the RPI and debt of gratitude to resident genius UPSF is because we know that RPI is only ranking that counts. National rankings don't mean squat when it comes to seeding etc.

RPI is not perfect but it's fairer than rankings. Problem is that if your opponents are not very good or have a bad season then you are out of luck even if you beat them.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Welcome, 'fan from afar'. Upstate New York. Cool! By the way, you've found a wonderful soccer program to follow. Truly special in all aspects.

FAN
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Wasn't there a year not long past when Pilots had a one seed and were sent packing anyway?

Thanks for the welcome, Fanatic, and I already realize what a special program it is. I really wish I were closer so I could see them more often. Video stream and even TV is just not the same as being there.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 pm

fan welcome to the club. we had a fellow new yorker Michelle Scifo who graduated last year... great player. You have found a great site to be a part of.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Welcome! I've got family in upstate NY!

Anyway, sorry to copy/paste, but I just posted this yesterday and it seems to fit your question:

In 2005, we were undefeated, ranked #1 in the country and in the RPI... got a #1 seed but were shipped to Lincoln, Nebraska. Terrible field, even worse weather. Not only that, but it was the same weekend as a Nebraska football game, so flights were impossible to find and hotels even tougher... out team ended up on multiple different flights and at different hotels.

I think something like 75 fans watched the first game. Maybe 300 the second.

Of course, in Portland the NCAA would have sold 4,972 tickets to both UP games and probably a healthy 1000+ to the other game.

But no... the NCAA isn't smart enough to figure that out. UP won both games and hosted the next two rounds... the third round game against Arizona sold out in 3 hours. The quarterfinal game against Notre Dame sold out in 6 minutes.

Yet did the NCAA learn anything? No. We got shipped out in 2006. And in 2007.

This is the first time in a long time we're hosting.

So... yeah. We're not really big fans of the selection committee. It's nice to know that other schools are finally starting to see how messed up this is.

https://www.pilotnation.net/women-s-soccer-f7/tournament-bracket-t1444-15.htm
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 am

Aleppiek and Stonehouse - Thanks for the welcome.

I had heard from my daughter about the Nebraska fiasco, but I didn't realize you were actually a number 1 seed that year. You have all probably been venting about this for a long time, but I'm curious as to the financial aspect - selling more tickets in Portland vs. the flight savings going to Neb. I wonder if the NCAA really saved any $$? That's not to mention the advantage of playing in front of an actual crowd on a good field, and being able to actually get here and stay in an actual motel.

Stonehouse - where in upstate NY? And, where was Scifo from?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:18 am

Welcome ffa. Here's Michelle's Bio from last year.

18 Michele Scifo D 5-5 Sr. Lynbrook, N.Y. / Lynbrook HS

Michelle is now the head coach of Lincoln High School's girl's soccer program here in Portland, which is on track right now to win its second State Championship in a row.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:47 am

I've got family in Hyde Park on the east side and Buffalo in the west. Got to spend some time in Buffalo and the surrounding area a few years ago... Letchworth State Park and the "Grand Canyon of the East" on the Gennessee. Good times! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum