Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linfield Game Thursday!!!

+9
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
pilotfan4life
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
MesaPilot1
PilotDrummer
PilotNut
Stonehouse
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Linfield Game Thursday!!! Empty Linfield Game Thursday!!!

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 pm

FINALLY... the 2008 season kicks off tomorrow against Linfield! Let's hope we don't have a repeat of Western Oregon... sigh... sad memories.

Anyway, bad news... I'm going to miss the game. I officially hate my job. I can live with the 60+ hours a week, but not with when it interferes with my beloved Pilot basketball. No

But I did get a chance to poke my head into a scrimmage yesterday, so here's a quick little run down. I actually wrote up a pretty detailed player-by-player recap earlier, but Internet Explorer suddenly decided to quit on me (was at work, didn't have Firefox) and I don't have the patience to type it up again. So, here are some bullet points:

* Ethan Niedermeyer looks really, really good. At times he even looked like the best player out on the court. He was hitting all his open shots, playing with confidence, playing within himself... easily the most improved player on the team. I think he's going to open some eyes this year. He was scoring points inside and out, playing solid defense, hustling all over the court... I think he's going to see some serious minutes.

* TJ - plain and simple, he's the best PG on the floor. I love how he can create and penetrate, he's got good court vision and is quick on defense... he was setting up teammates really well (especially post guys) but unfortunately our bigs weren't doing much with it when Campbell was serving it up on a platter. I think once TJ starts to develop a bit more a scorer's mentality, he's going to be even that much better. He's going to be a difference maker for us.

* Luke was playing and is now totally cleared to go. He didn't really stand out (expected after such a long lay off), but it's just good to know he's out there playing.

* Robin showed off his range. But it still seems like he can do more... he disappeared a bit out there. I think a big key for our team this year is going to be production out of our power forward spot. Last season, Luke and Robin had their moments but were in the end pretty inconsistent. We need them to step it up a bit and start giving a regular contribution.

* Nik is solid. Plays tough, attacks, has a great mentality... I know he drives the coaches a bit crazy sometimes (Rev was really giving it to him at one point), but we need his attitude and ability out there. He's fiery, he's got guts... plus he was hustling all over the floor battling for boards and loose balls. I think he'll be a lot more comfortable this year playing the 2-3 spots instead of the 1-2.

* Jared... I love the kid. I love his shot, I love his ability to score, but....... Nik was abusing his defense. I get the sense that he's not going to be getting as many minutes as I might hope. But I understand... Rev is all about defense, and it's hard for a fan like me to appreciate a player's defensive liabilities while it's very easy to watch him drain three pointers. Still... we need his offensive punch.

* Jasonn... played the whole time and didn't seem to be tired at all. His body is there no doubt about it. Now it's all about getting the skill level up. He's still got a ways to go. Still, it's really encouraging to see how much he has improved already.

* Kramer was his typical work horse self. Plays hard-nosed the entire time, solid defense, and even some nice passes out of the post. Had a tough time receiving the ball a few times... with Campbell out there, our posts are going to have to remember to be ready at all time because he can find them. But it's nice to know we've got someone we can count on down in the paint to do all the dirty work for us.

* BJ looks pretty good, actually. A lot further along than I was expecting. He hit a few shots (actually, didn't really miss from outside) and had the highlight of the day, a gorgeous one-handed alley-oop from Waterford on a fast break. It was NICE. Not sure how many minutes he'll get this year, but he's got potential for sure.

* Taishi... hard to say. He's clearly a leader of the team and has really embraced the role... cheering guys on, getting after them a bit. But he still just hasn't seemed to get over the hump. He's solid and serviceable and will get minutes, but... from what I've seen (granted only two scrimmages now) TJ is the guy that is going to help take us to another level.

* Eric Waterford has been impressive too. Kind of a similar thing with BJ. Not sure how much he'll play this year, but you can see why they offered him the scholarship. He's athletic, created some nice plays, can attack the basket, and seems very coachable and with a good BB IQ.

* Mitrovic... can shoot, but needs to work on his game in pretty much every area. Don't expect him to be a factor this season.

* Big John wasn't there at the practice. Not sure what is up. Rev said in his latest podcast that he's on a leave of absence for personal reasons... maybe he's not back yet?

Anyway, that's all I've got. Cheer them on loud and hard for me tomorrow!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Linfield Game Thursday!!! Empty Re: Linfield Game Thursday!!!

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for the awesome review. Shamefully, I havent made it up to watch any practice this fall (darn work!)... i am really excited to watch the guys tomorrow night.

If nothing else, I will drink your halftime beer in the Pilot Room! Wink

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 am

Finally!!! Some basketball! Clean slate (don't ever mention WOU again, please). Looking for improvement and a competitive team.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:22 am

I'll see you guys there! I'll be the drummer in the Pilot Club during halftime.

Loving how much gear I have to bring tonight...first game and last game always require what seems like 10 bags of stuff!
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the great report Stonehouse for us geographically challenged. On a side note game is telecast on stretchnet for free. So if Mattywizz , Rochin54 or others want to see what I mean about slightly grainy PICTURE tune in. Better than nothing, at least the audio comes in fairly well, (if not switch to "live stats" portion of broadcast the information availible through it is pretty cool even while getting updates on game).

Finally we have some Defense that won't get burnt every play and set up possible fast break with TJ,Nic, and Ethan . Kramer and Robin will help us not be so stagnant too.

Can't Wait, Wink

Mesa Pilot`

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 am

ooh - I didn't realize it would be a free test drive tonight. I had been debating about purchasing the package, but hadn't decided yet. Not sure if I can get to it tonight though.....
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah, I guess I'll stop by and catch the game. I get a pretty good deal on tickets. tongue

I think the fans will enjoy the new charts we have. He may not be much of a dancer but Dr. Murphy seems pretty cool.

I'm just glad to start watching basketball again.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Hey everyone... just got word that this game actually isn't going to be available on the video feed - paid or free. There will be free audio at PortlandPilots.com though.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Ummm, just curious if Linfield knows they are supposed to play us tonight... I was trying to scope them out a bit, but there is no mention of tonight's game on their website (Link), nor is the game listed on their hoops schedule... confused

I hope they show up....
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Ha ha... well... hopefully they do!

Actually, some places don't list exhibitions on their schedules. That's probably the case here.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4life Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Pilots won 94-36! cheers
pilotfan4life
pilotfan4life
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

PilotNut wrote:Ummm, just curious if Linfield knows they are supposed to play us tonight... I was trying to scope them out a bit, but there is no mention of tonight's game on their website (Link), nor is the game listed on their hoops schedule... confused

I hope they show up....

They didn't show.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:38 pm

PilotNut wrote:

I hope they show up....
Well...they did...and they didn't.

It was an exhibition, but the things I noticed in general were:
1) Everyone looks like they've gained weight. They all look stronger, and Campbell is just ripped.
2) They're playing with more intensity than I saw last year. Guys were fighting for every rebound, going after loose balls, etc...
3) They were hitting lots of threes.
4) They seemed to run the floor a fair amount.
BUT...I also saw a lot of guys getting in foul trouble.

Pretty good night for them overall.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:51 pm

We'll be just fine this year as long as we keep hitting 62% from three point range.

Seriously, - 62%

Jared 6-9
Ethan 3-3
Robin 2-2
TJ 2-3

a couple other guys tried a couple, too.

Field goal percentage overall dropped to 54% (37/68 )

The ball management was pretty sloppy, with 21 turnovers. It didn't matter because Linnfield had 29.
Despite the lopsided win, this team has a long way to go. How far? hard to say, because the whole bench played a lot as kids got experience.

Don't expect that substitution pattern for UW.

We were hoping for Chalupas, but it didn't happen. On the way out, Father Pru said he heard they were going to substitute free beer.

everybody seems OK health-wise, except B.J. tweaked his ankle just before the half. Hopefully, it's not too serious.

On a somewhat panicky bent for the soccer team, Frankie was walking around the floor in a strap-on foot cast. Anybody know what that's about?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 pm

Agreed on the guys fitness and intensity -- much improved.

Passes and inbound plays were quite ugly... hopefully that will improve with some more time under their belts and not so much subbing... its hard to get into a rhythm when wholesale changes so often. I wish we had another exhibition game prior to UW!

Campbell looked strong, Ito continued to struggle.

Defense overall was good... but then again Linfield wasn't much of a threat.

Hegarty was still gone; hopefully he will be back soon...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Hard to be a nitpicker with a 58 point win cheers, but here goes (IMUO*).

T.J. - I'd like to see him run the offense more and shoot less. First touch of the ball comes down court and jacks up an immediate three attempt. Also, needs to improve free throws.

Kramer - can't get two fouls in 30 seconds to start the second half. Just can't.

Jared - 6 of 9 on threes. Made them all when feet set, missed if had to move. Better teams will do better job of shutting him down. (Is he taller this year?)

Jasonn - with that size needs to grab more rebounds; swatted at a few instead of snatching them. Definitely able to play extended minutes this year.

Other comments: I thought Eric Waterford looked good for a freshman; played calm, ran the offense. Ethan had great hustle, and made some shots. Taishi didn't play extensive minutes, but ball-hawked well when in. I'd like to see better results when running the offense. Robin played well under the boards, got some good put backs and tips. Nik played steady; nothing flashy, didn't force his offense. B.J Porter may have dinged his leg, didn't play in second half. Luke didn't stand out to me positive or negative. Nemanja Mitrovic played a few minutes and looked OK.

Linfield shot horribly, hopefully Pilots defense had a lot to do with that. UW will be a major step up in opposition. As somebody commented, too bad we aren't playing against their football team. Smile

Students had good representation in first half, saw a sign saying something about free pizza. Most left at half time. Looks like a good group trying to stir up spirit (are they stilled called Purple Pride?)

New location for Pilot Club, behind stands, is a big improvement as far as space. The hall of fame room was just too crowded. But I will miss the projection TV when a big game is conflicting with our games. Looks like fewer cheerleaders this year. Still no good arms when tossing t-shirts! jocolor Coaches all wore Pilot polo shirts instead of suits. I'm curious to see if that will continue in the regular season. Listened to the postgame radio show on drive home; praise be!

Good start, let's keep it going in positive direction.

* in my uninformed opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:47 am

I heard the Villa Man Auction was last night and that it started at 8. Most of the students probably left at halftime to watch that.

The guys looked good. Mistakes, as mentioned above, were made. Lots of sloppy passes, that sort of thing. Foul trouble could be an issue if they're not careful. Couldn't believe how many 3-pointers went in.

Miss the Pilot Club being in the HOF room - I liked the quick access from the band! Alas, I'll just have to make sure I'm not playing at halftime.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed Frankie wearing a boot last night.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:50 am

Typical Villa guys - can't figure out when there is a basketball game.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 am

Rochin54 wrote:Typical Villa guys - can't figure out when there is a basketball game.

Ha ha... spoken like a true Christie Gentleman.

But let's be honest... we all know that Corrado is where the true Pilot fans live. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:18 am

Stonehouse wrote:But let's be honest... we all know that Corrado is where the true Pilot fans live. Smile

A-men to that!
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:48 am

Oh man, we were bad Christie Gentlemen.... I'm pretty sure 54, oddballshoe, mattywizz and I were fairly guilty at debunking that misnomer...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 am

Check it out... photos/recap from the Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/11/pilots_look_sharp_in_exhibitio.html
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am

Apparently we play at the Stott Center.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 am

PilotDrummer wrote:Apparently we play at the Stott Center.

I think that's news to both UP and PSU. :-S

Is it that hard to get the arena correct? Shesh!
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 pm

I know Drummer doesn't like having to walk to get his beer!Very Happy

And I was looking at those shirts just hoping that's what's waiting for us on the 15th. I'm wearing the Duck version right now and it looks and feels awesome.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next