Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President?

4 posters

Go down

Who are you voting for President of the United States?

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_lcap0%Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_lcap0%Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_lcap40%Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_lcap60%Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Empty Can Pilot Nation predict the next President?

Post by SciFi Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:16 pm

It's four days before election day. Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Candidates are listed as they appear on my official ballot.

Rules KEEP POSTS CIVIL AND CLEAN! NO PERSONAL ATTACKS OR I WILL LOCK THE THREAD!!! Rules

-SciFi

Last edited by SciFi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2007-04-28

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Empty Re: Can Pilot Nation predict the next President?

Post by Stonehouse Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 pm

I'll be shocked if Obama doesn't win.

One of my favorite website this election season has been FiveThirtyEight.com, which was created by Nate Silver, the stats genius who works for Baseball Prospectus and developed their PECOTA system, which has proven to be the most accurate projector of player stats and team records of any other statistical model out there. He was the only person out there to predict the Rays to make the playoffs.

Anyway, he has done amazing work using aggregate polling data and really drilling down into demographics... he was amazingly accurate predicting the primaries, hitting the true numbers at a much better clip than any polling service.

So... I trust him. And right now, he says it's 96% likely that Obama wins. So I'm going to go ahead and throw my hat in for Obama to win.

If you've got some time, check out the site:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

It's a bit wonky with stats and stuff, but it's so so interesting.

And check out their analysis of Oregon:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/road-to-270-oregon.html

Very insightful... especially interesting is the stat that Oregon voters who vote Democrat are the most liberal in the country, and Oregon voters who vote Republican are the most conservative. Such a neat stat! And it really shows the divide between the urban/rural, east/west split of the state.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Can Pilot Nation predict the next President? Empty Re: Can Pilot Nation predict the next President?

Post by PilotNut Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:08 pm

I also like this site for electoral college polls. It also shows Obama in a virtual landslide, from the electoral college standpoint.

Things could get interesting late on Tuesday night with the Alaska and Oregon Senate races potentially being quite significant in terms of getting 60 seats for the Democrats.

(Whew, I got that all out without any jabs or nasty comments about a certain set of candidates...) Wink
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Something tells me that this election will be a lot closer than people (and the pundits) think it will. There will be some big suprises. There always are.

-SciFi

SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 pm

I am closing this poll. It appears Pilotnation DID in fact predict the next President.

-SciFi

SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

Very insightful... especially interesting is the stat that Oregon voters who vote Democrat are the most liberal in the country, and Oregon voters who vote Republican are the most conservative. Such a neat stat! And it really shows the divide between the urban/rural, east/west split of the state.

I was looking at the breakdown of the Senate race and it reminded me of what you said:
http://www.oregonlive.com/special/index.ssf/2008/11/senate.html
Most counties are pretty decisively either Merkley or Smith. And it's pretty clear where each candidate's support lies.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down