Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

+24
Harry Redknapp
Poopdeck Pappy
harryb
KFTC
DaTruRochin
Trenchcoat Wally
purplehaze
SoreKnees
Shadrach
decrink
onetouchfutbol
SciFi
ninjapizza
GUPhantom
purple haze
Stonehouse
tamservo
aleppiek
FANatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
gousd
28 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
I think we're ready for USD. And the playoffs, even if we have to start in the Appalachian Mountains...
Listen, baby
Ain't no mountain high
Ain't no valley low
Ain't no river wide enough, baby
Artists: Marvin Gaye/ Tammi Terrell
Written & composed by: Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson

Grrrr

Now you have me humming it..
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:53 pm

It was FANatic that got me thinking about it. Just be glad I didn't put in Tom Petty's "The Waiting" albino
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:17 pm

We'll Be Coming Down the Road
We'll be coming,
We'll be coming,
We'll be coming down the road.
When you hear the noise of the Portland Pilot boys (and girls)
We'll be coming down the road.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Grrrr...Now you have me humming it..
Hey, we could turn this into a positive , Geez!

We can make the song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" the unofficial Pilots fight song for the remainder of the season.

Just think of Merlo packed and electric with over 5,000 fans singing at the top of their lungs, "Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough, to keep us from smashing you!!!".

I feel tingly all over just thinking about it! What inspiration! Thank you Auto Pilot!!! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Be realistic. The old folks side has trouble with "GO".
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:23 pm

The GO PILOTS cheer was actually was very good last Sunday!!! Loud and in-Synch! cheers

I think we have to get the crowd to work on our WAVE! That attempt verus SCU was pathetic! No

It was more ripple than tsunami! Shocked

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 pm

That's so funny, Geez...I just fell off my stool!!!

Last match I saw, UCLA I think in late August, I remember the "old folks" side as not really getting it! The Student Section had "PILOTS" down okay. But the old folks couldn't quite get in rhythm with it, so the painted guys gave up!

(Fell off my stool again...stop it, Geez, you're killing me!!!!!)USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Lol-049

Last edited by FANatic on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:27 pm

GUPhantom wrote:

I think we have to get the crowd to work on our WAVE! That attempt verus SCU was pathetic! No

It was more ripple than tsunami! Shocked

GO PILOTS!!!

Again, unrealistic expectations. Us old people take a bit of time standing and sitting...

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm

FANatic wrote:That's so funny, Geez...I just fell off my stool!!!

Last match I saw, UCLA I think in late August, I remember the "old folks" side as not really getting it! The Student Section had "PILOTS" down okay. But the old folks couldn't quite get in rhythm with it, so the painted guys gave up!

(Fell off my stool again...stop it, Geez, you're killing me!!!!!)USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Lol-049

That's not how I remember it. The painted guys tried to get us to say "PILOTS".

We're not too good with polysyllabic phrases.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:35 pm

OH MAN, it feels like I'm being tickled to death, Geez! Stop!
USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Hahaha-024
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:26 pm

aleppiek wrote:They do infact have a team, Jim Harbaugh former NFL QB and current Stanford coach was coaching there prior to Stanford... they play a Division 1 AA Schedule. They aren't very good.

Welcome by the way...

You will notice when there, that they have the sound system thing figured out... I was amazed how clear it was when I was there, pre-game music actually made the pitch vibrate.

Anyways... Enjoy!

USD football until last week had a 28 game home winning streak - which was the longest in all of Division I football. Since 2002 USD has a record of 52-12, and had its QB drafted int eh 5th round last year by the Tampa Bay Bucaneers. While USD does not play the elite of college football I would say it is a VERY good program for its level in FCS (formerly IAA). I wouldn't say USD "wasn't very good"....

Sorry to hijack the thread this way just wanted to share a bit of info with you all....

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:32 pm

aleppiek wrote:I should say they weren't good... my D2 Western Oregon team beat them 34-3 back in 2002 while Harbaugh was there.

Is that better for you Stonehouse?

USD was 5-5 in 2002 and the coach at that time was Kevin McGarry not Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh began at USD in 2004 and the level of talent that Harbaugh brought in and the current staff has in place far outshines what was in place in 2002 and previous to that year...check out the resluts and the players who have won many awards since then. Last year QB Josh Johnson was the runner-up for the Walter Payton Award which is the Hesiman for IAA football.

Again, sorry to hijack but simply wanted to give some info....

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm

No need to apologize you were invited. Thanks for the info about the football team. Now how about the field? How does it play for soccer?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:09 am

GoUSD- All I can go by is what I saw when I was there, and that was not a very good football team. They do seem to be on the uptick since 2002, I will give them that. But 2002, that was a poor team.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 2 Empty Big Match Is Tomorrow Night!!!

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:42 am

Back to soccer for a moment: Any insight into the style of the Torreros?

Are they attacking, possession-oriented, or pack it in, don't score a goal on us? Exciting to watch, or rather boring but very efficient?

Are the Pilots going to be looking in the mirror and seeing themselves in USD, or are they going to see a brutal, take no prisoners style that is intimidating and tough to play against?

Are they well organized, well coached? (I'm sure they are with their recent success.) Any key players out with injuries or national team commitments?

Just who are these gals, anyhow? Very Happy

(Trying to stimulate some conversation here. This WCC showdown with huge playoff ramifications is tomorrow night, my good friends. You've had your rest, now on to the huge week-end that ends with Monday night's NCAA selection show!!!)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 am

I think the field will be in very good shape. According to the players they spent $300,000 on new irrigation, drainage, and sport turf this summer. As far as the style they play a 4-4-2 and play possession style. Jen Mello a SR plays up front and leads the team with 11 goals - I think that USD will need to play its best game to beat Portland. USD is not yet in the same territory as far as the number of elite players but I think they are going to continue to creep towards that goal as they continue to improve. The "X" factor perhaps will be it is Senior Night on Saturday night and the crowd should be sizable (hopefully in the 2-3k size at least).

Here is a link to the weekly release where you can see more stats etc so I don't bore anyone further....

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/usd/sports/w-soccer/auto_pdf/RevisedRelease1-4-08

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:33 am

Thank you so much, gousd! Very Happy

I think we all appreciate your insight into all things USD. And it sounds like you're building your soccer program the right way. It does take a few years to get enough quality depth to play with the big girls.

I think you'll be a tough opponent tomorrow night. And if you keep recruiting elite players, and build a program with great chemistry, you'll soon join SCU and the Pilots as the elite teams in the WCC. It's been the Broncos and Pilots for a long time. It would be great to have another top rival, and perhaps it will be the Big Three instead of the Big Two.

Good luck Saturday. Hey, any idea why the match was changed from 7pm to 8pm? I thought it might mean it was going to be televised. But on second thought, maybe they are expecting a big crowd and want to give everyone another hour to get in the gates on time. Plus, I'm sure there will be pre-game Senior Day festivities and whatever else.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 am

USD has such a BEAUTIFUL setting they should be able to bring in top class players, and are beginning to do so. USD has UP beat on Beauty, but UP has USD beat on tradition and atmosphere.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 am

Yeah, I think all of USD's sports are on an uptick. Their AD, Ky Snyder, thinks big and is proving to have the chops to get results.

But yeah... on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean? I guess that's not too too hard to recruit to. Smile

As for USD itself... I remember that game at Merlo last year, and it was just a matter of degree. USD had talent and played well and tried to do all the right things, but the Pilots were just a tick or two better in every phase of the game. But we had a very experienced team last year... this year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes down. I also wonder how much of a role the Three Amigas will have... it'll be tough for Garrett, since this is a must-win game if we want to get a #1 seed, but it also will be the last opportunity for the younger players to play against a quality opponent before the playoffs.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:31 am

Stonehouse, all I know is that when Enyeart steps on the field, USD better have an eye on her. I don't think they want a repeat of

THE GOAL!
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am

Oh man!!!!!!!

THE GOAL

will not soon be forgotten. Gosh I wish somewhere we could get a video of that.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:01 am

Does the UP Soccer staff have archive game tapes? Stonehouse, maybe you could call in a favor and see about that... you have to have some good will built up after the stellar play by play work. All I know is we need a digital video of that for prosperity.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 am

Those of you unfamiliar with "THE GOAL" hopefully we can work on getting a video of it... the single greatest unassisted goal I have ever seen in Women's Soccer.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:25 am

After some archive digging it was aired on Fox Soccer Channel as well. Oct 26th 2007 I believe. So there has to be some video out there somewhere... Happened in the 8th Minute if someone does track down a video.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Man, the first thing I thought about when I started focusing on the USD match Saturday night was "THE GOAL" from 2007.

I was sitting right behind the net on the South side of Merlo. It is indelibly burned into my brain and will never be forgotten. I saw Christine score in just about every possible way there is to score. But Michelle's lightning-quick moves down the left side and then rocketing toward the goal mouth all alone and smashing that shot in the net to a stunned GK, all the players and all the coaches and all the fans, was simply magnificient!!!

I have longed to see that goal again on video for the last year, and still it excites me! I'm with you, aleppiek. We, as a community, MUST get a video of that goal!!! I will be watching it the rest of my life, and showing it off to soccer non-believers...
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next