Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

+24
Harry Redknapp
Poopdeck Pappy
harryb
KFTC
DaTruRochin
Trenchcoat Wally
purplehaze
SoreKnees
Shadrach
decrink
onetouchfutbol
SciFi
ninjapizza
GUPhantom
purple haze
Stonehouse
tamservo
aleppiek
FANatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
gousd
28 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 6 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Well I posted my game reaction in the RPI thread (bleary eyed). Let me add I was at the game and Elli, Keelin and Michelle all subbed in at the same time. Sophie played the full 90. Maybe the scorer had trouble discerning #12 from #13. As for the questionable quote from the Tribune, let me add my two cents that San Diego was a very worthy adversary. Probably the best I have seen since the UCLA USC weekend. I predict San Diego will make a run in he playoffs. Their defense is solid and their score came of a diagonal lob from right to left into space and a USD player blew by (a pilot player to be unnamed) to beat Kelsey to the ball inside the 18. So the insinuation of kickball style is dissproved by the way they scored.

In addition to her usual self Megan was looking to make runs down the line and crossing the ball ala David Beckham. Our timing was a little off on a couple of these. Maybe due to the pace she puts on a ball.

Not reflected in the box score was a FK taken by Megan which bent over the wall and had the USD GK Cameron beat. Missed by inches but that only counts in horses and handgrenades right? Also a few loose balls bouncing around in front of the USD goal that could have been put in but for the quick scrambling of their defense. I was hoping that our playoff eleven could have put the game 2-1 before the Subs came in but I can certainly see why Garrett pulled the trigger when he did.

The immediate impact after the subs was Keelin getting the central midfield under control like you have all seen her do it. Add Michelle's offensive afterburners and USD kind of deflated. It was a half court game from there on out. It was a testment to great players elevating their side. I know sometimes I wish we would't back pass the ball so much when we could be pushing forward. But it really pays off for us at the end of the game when our opponents have no legs after chasing for 60 or 70 minutes.

I really hope UP gets the first couple at home with the Merlo crowd, they earned it last night.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 6 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:I really hope UP gets the first couple at home with the Merlo crowd, they earned it last night.

Well said, Auto.

It's easy to take for granted what just happened last night... the Pilots pounded a Top 15 team 4-1, on the road, with the conference championship and possibly even a #1 seed on the line.

If that isn't a statement that they are deserving to not only host but be a #1 seed, I don't know what is.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks, Auto, for an eyewitness report. Gametracker left us confused. Helpful to know that the three came on together - makes sense.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Hello friends. Since last we spoke, the Pilots obtained the WCC title. I asked for a few days and a few days you gave me. So:

I don't know the most appropriate thread to put it in, so, there it is
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Superb! Very Happy

This was the perfect thread. You are my hero.

I would suggest adding the goal to the front page to replace the 2005 goals against PSU

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:01 pm

As I looked at the new clip, I see it's linked to this one.

My favorite part of that one is the announcers saying that things look great for CU and they have to be ecstatic at the scoreless game - just as Michelle in in the middle of the scoring run.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Thank you so much NP. I have been waiting over a year to see that again.

"THE GOAL" by Michelle Enyeart 2007. I haven't seen it from this angle. I saw it live right behind the net. And it seemed much faster live. From this angle she makes it look so easy, but she basically used her terrific speed to run past the defenders, then she moved in toward the goal, completely faking out the San Diego defenders who look as though their feet are stuck in mud.

And finally, the angle on the goal had to be perfect. It didn't look like the ball had even an inch on either side of it to spare. Simply shot perfectly. And made it look almost nonchalant. Amazing. cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:14 pm

The difference between good and great players is making the most difficult of plays look flat out easy... And wow she made it look like a walk in the park!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:19 pm

I think the Portland players were better conditioned. I don't know if that has to do with having better athletes, better conditioning drills/coaches, or the fact they are more fit since they play more minutes per game. I have no idea, but having watched the game in person Portland looked much fitter for what it is worth. Maybe UP is tougher mentally as well....no idea. Just my opinion...

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Sounds like Dr. Favero's Tuesday torture drills are as good as advertised Party!!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:03 pm

gousd wrote:I think the Portland players were better conditioned. I don't know if that has to do with having better athletes, better conditioning drills/coaches, or the fact they are more fit since they play more minutes per game. I have no idea, but having watched the game in person Portland looked much fitter for what it is worth. Maybe UP is tougher mentally as well....no idea. Just my opinion...

gousd,

Conditioning is something that has been a hallmark of UP soccer for years. When Clive was coach, starters played 90 minutes for the most part. His theory was that you kept your best players on the field, and any substitution is by definition putting lesser talent on the field. That has changed a bit for Portland since the Championships, since they are able to recruit more great players, But Portland still doesn't sub in and out like some teams.

As to mental fitness, you may have a point. It took a lot of years for UP to feel that they deserved to win the close ones against the best. That conviction allows players to play in a more relaxed environment, even in the toughest contests. I think there is such a thing as knowing how to win the tough ones.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:24 pm

I had the honor to have a brief chat with Dr. Favaro about the Pilots conditioning routine and he let me know that he himself particpates in the training. Boy did that guy look fit!

Toward the end of the game I noticed the USD side significantly tiring. Whether its the athletes, training, or coaching I really couldn't say not knowing USD very well. However, I thought USD was really really working hard the for the first half and they got a boost of the quick goal against us at the beginning of the second half. They were still battling after Sophie's equalizer. After the substitution and after Megan served the nice corner to Kori's head for the second and go ahead goal in the 72nd, the match started taking its toll on USD. It appeared the infusion of fresh legs for the Pilots along with the change in the lead may likely have adversly affected USD mentally. After Michelle's goal I felt that we had it won as the there were no offesive threats coming from the USD side and they were defending as best they could under the constant pressure. Halley put the icing on the cake in the 85th and the Pilots in attendance were feeling exhilerated that we had won convincingly after a toss up first half.

I also got to see the WCC Championship presentation ceremony with Tshirts, Team Trophy and Plaques for the Players. I felt a little bad that this ceremony was occasioned on the "foreign soil which is Southern California" and was not accessible to the Pilot faithful. After a moment I was dreaming a bit that it was just a preview of another presentation of a broader variety in the near future.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:06 pm

I hope you are right, Auto.

I am hoping now that the "team", which means the squad that we bring into the playoffs next week-end, will really come together emotionally and play really tight on the field together. They know who they are now and what they must do. I feel as though they just jettisoned a powerful booster rocket on their ascent upward, (The Amigas), and that that booster rocket is no longer needed as they prepare for the journey ahead.

I feel they will be well prepared for the task by their coaches, and that the team's leaders, (and they are strong, emotional leaders at that), will simply not allow them to lose.

No Shots. No Goals. Defensive Perfection. And Attack, Attack, Attack. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks Auto for at-the-game update. I think the mindset has to be that we would still have won the USD game without the infusion of the U 20's. Go UP.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 am

UPreveler wrote:Thanks Auto for at-the-game update. I think the mindset has to be that we would still have won the USD game without the infusion of the U 20's. Go UP.

Agreed. And remember... assuming we get a #1 seed and host (BIG KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!), we will not have to play a ranked opponent on the road throughout the playoffs. We'll be in the friendly confines of Merlo for the first four rounds, then to a neutral site for the College Cup. That makes a big difference.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:38 am

Great point Stonehouse. It will make a huge difference. The players and the fans will definitely rise to the occasion. Go UP.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by tamservo Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:03 am

What a great game – glad I made the trip down to watch it! My 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5) cents:

USD’s forward #22 (Stephanie Ochs, a freshman according to the USD site) gave the UP defense a lot of trouble in the first half. She seemed to be faster than the defense, and was able to make moves to get around them quite a few times it seemed before halftime. At halftime, Garrett pulled the 4 defenders and Kelsey aside and was talking to them for quite awhile. I noticed in the second half, the defenders were managing to get to through balls just a step before USD and tapping them back to Kelsey. They used that pass back to the keeper a lot more in the second half, and it seemed to deflate the USD offense. When #22 was subbed out, they didn’t seem to get much going without her speed.

I can understand a little bit how the statisticians got confused by the Pilot’s subbing… the players kept switching positions, and I sometimes had trouble following who actually left the field (the announcers seemed to only announce who came on the field, not who left). Elli subbed in for Sara Jackman on the right, and almost immediately switched with Megan. That seemed to work well on 3 levels – Megan’s mark didn’t follow her to the right side so she seemed to have much more room… also, Megan and Jessica seemed to work really well together, lots of give and go’s up the sideline – that was fun to watch. Third, it brought Megan back to the spectator side of the field, which was a bonus for us spectators. Very Happy

I was kind of bummed we couldn’t seem to do more before bringing in Elli, Michelle and Keelin. The USD goal did seem to energize the Pilots and get them more focused… leading to the Pilot equalizer not too long afterward. But not as energized as they were after the 3A came in. It was like the moment in the Princess Bride, during the swordfight when Wesley announces he’s not left-handed. I can’t think of any good chances USD had after the three of them subbed in. Keelin is just everywhere – I don’t know how she does that. And it is so entertaining to watch Michelle take on 3 defenders and get through all of them. I’m going to miss them in the playoffs. I do agree with others though, that it’s likely we could/would have pulled out a win without them - but I probably would have lost more of my fingernails.

There were quite a few Portland fans there – it was nice to have such a large contingent cheering when the visiting team scored. One of them even had a drum – which irked a few of the USD fans around us. I think a big reason there were as many USD fans as there were is that there was a USD basketball game next door that ended right before the soccer game started, and the basketball ticket got you into the soccer game as well. But maybe I’m just being cynical… it’s possible all those people would have shown up without a basketball game to lure them in. And USD did indeed have a LOT of seniors… but they had a lot of players! They have 30 on the roster – they barely all fit on one side of the field while warming up before the game… seemed like two whole teams.

Anyone know what happened to Kristen Kelly’s arm? Her right arm was wrapped from the elbow to her hand.
tamservo
tamservo
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

Righto Stoney!

I think this team in particular would greatly benefit by 4 Merlo matches (potenially), and then the Neutral site College Cup.

Perhaps this team can win big playoff games on the road. But if you look at the totality of this year's particular situation, getting a #1 seed and playing at Merlo sweet Merlo would be an incredible situation for the club.

Not that we won't be severely challenged. We will. But if there was ever a highly ranked Cinderella team, we's it. Because while we are the #2 ranked team in the nation, we accomplished that with a little help from our friends. (Tres Amigas).
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:13 am

tamservo wrote:But not as energized as they were after the 3A came in. It was like the moment in the Princess Bride, during the swordfight when Wesley announces he’s not left-handed.

So remember how people were talking about starting up a Pilot Nation Hall of Fame? I think right here is the winner of the best movie reference in relation to Pilots soccer!!! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 am

Stonehouse wrote:
tamservo wrote:But not as energized as they were after the 3A came in. It was like the moment in the Princess Bride, during the swordfight when Wesley announces he’s not left-handed.

So remember how people were talking about starting up a Pilot Nation Hall of Fame? I think right here is the winner of the best movie reference in relation to Pilots soccer!!! Smile

Better than the "no place like home" reference?

Really? Razz

That came with pictures and everything....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 am

That would be the 2nd HOF nomination right behind the video of "The Goal" provided by ninjapizza
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 am

Don't anger the Geez....

He might call up his army of
USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 6 Winkies

AND
USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 6 17118273-17118280-large

INCONCEIVABLE!!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:05 am

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 6 Vizz5

Never play a shell game with a Sicilian.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:10 am

ooooohh that's scary.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:21 am

No, this is scary:

The "Return to Oz"... instant nightmares. Those Wheelers are probably my scariest childhood memory.

Anyway, yeah... I got to give it up for the Princess Bride reference. I mean, Wizard of Oz is classic and all, but Princess Bride? The sword fight between Inigo and Wesley? That's just too good.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next