Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

+24
Harry Redknapp
Poopdeck Pappy
harryb
KFTC
DaTruRochin
Trenchcoat Wally
purplehaze
SoreKnees
Shadrach
decrink
onetouchfutbol
SciFi
ninjapizza
GUPhantom
purple haze
Stonehouse
tamservo
aleppiek
FANatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
gousd
28 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Empty USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by gousd Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Well, it looks like it will come down to the final game November 8th no matter what happens this weekend for USD up in Spokane. While Portland is clearly a level above USD on paper, I am thinking it could be upset city for USD since the 8th will be senior night and the team will be fired up.

These final two games are huge for San Diego as they set the tempo for a run in the post-season for the Toreros potentially. I think if USD is going to upset Portland they need to "survive" the blistering attack from the Pilots over the first 20 minutes. That has been the problem for most teams that face the Pilots. Best of luck till November 8th! Feel free to visit our website at www.ToreroNation.com!

GOUSD

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:02 pm

A little premature. First, we need to beat Santa Clara, which we don't take for granted. Take care of business, week by week!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Yeah, it's Santa Clara first. See you in two weeks.

You might want to rethink the 20 minute game plan, though. This year UP has 50 goals, only half of which were in the first stanza. Likewise, the corner kick ratio is exactly balanced over the two halves.
Shots are down in the second half, to 46%, but some games were closed out by then.

At any rate, it should be a great game.We hope to send our World Cup players on their way in a good mood.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:55 am

Looks like we both have business to attend to before we can have this discussion. Don't over look the Zags and, as stated above, we need to focus on our long time rival Santa Clara.

Having said that I am looking forward to the game as I am planing on driving down.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Yeah, there's a lot that can happen in 90 minutes. Both teams are TWO matches away from winning the league.

I'm just having trouble waiting for Santa Clara.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Well, USD beat Gonzaga 3-2 today but read below on how it would have panned out prior to today's game.

From usdtoreros.com: "San Diego is currently tied for first place in the West Coast Conference standings with No. 3 University of Portland at 5-0-0. Next Saturday Nov. 8, Portland comes to Torero Stadium in a match that will determine the WCC championship. Here are the scenarios for USD to win its first WCC Championship. If USD wins on this Friday against Gonzaga, and Portland wins as well, a tie or win against Portland next Saturday gives USD at least a share of the WCC championship. But if the Toreros lose this Friday against Gonzaga and Portland wins, the Toreros would need to beat Portland next Saturday to win a share of the WCC Championship. And finally, if both Portland and USD lose this Friday, a USD win or tie next Saturday will give the Toreros at least a share of the championship."

So really, with both teams being 5-0-0 prior to this weekend, it really didn't matter what happened this weekend. For example if USD had lost this weekend but beaten Portland on the 8th USD would be champions on the tie breaker due to having the head to head advantage even with both teams being 6-1. And vice versa for Portland if they lost to Santa Clara.

Anywho, San Diego is fired up and ready to attempt to win its first WCC crown ever. Best of luck against the Broncos...

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Fair enough. But going undefeated in the conference still matters to us and the team because the Pilots want as high a seed as possible to increase their chances of playing at home. You might be aware this has been something of an important issue to Pilot fans...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 pm

Hey no worries. Portland is the 800 lb gorilla of the conference. Just as it is a big deal for you - this would be a first for San Diego. So it is equally as big - best of luck against SCU. cheers

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks. I know they're down this year but it's still Santa Clara, and they have some great history too. But the more good teams in the conference the better.Smile

Here's to at least two teams representing the WCC well in the tournament!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:19 am

Good analysis of the WCC title situation gousd (hey I think your handle is just a trick to make us type that jk). Its may help you to know why we are fixated on Santa Clara. One of the preseason goals of the team was to bring a no shots/no goals mentality to each game at a time. We have adopted the goal as a mantra on this board. So while we are very aware of our situation with respect to the WCC title, you won't find anyone really focused on our game with USD until after the Santa Clara game.

By the way congratuations on a great season for the Torreros. It only adds to reputation of the already strong WCC.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:38 pm

OK, its time to revive this thread. I checked the USD site and the press release says we will be playing in Torero Stadium. The seating chart shows it is a football field and USD has an active Men's football team. Anybody know what the condition of the field is at this point in the year? If its not flat there may be havoc with the passing game.

San Diego has risen in the polls to #11, the WCC Championship is on the line, San Diego is coming off a 1-0 win against a very good Pepperdine squad and we are playing at home there so I expect a good game. This time I get to go in person cheers so I am dragging out all my San Diego connections for local Pilot Support. May even be a drum or two if the Toreros allow it.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 pm

To my knowledge, Torero stadium will probably be OK for the game. The main issue will be that the grass is Bermuda grass, which is a lot faster than the nice rye/bluegrass we are used to. That will be our main concern field-wise.

I think the real contest will be the players, not the venue.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, the description in the facilities section of the Toreros site says it was used for the WUSA, so maybe it is flat. Of course we know American football might make the field a little worn out.

Any sense of what size crowd will be there?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 pm

One would think that this game would draw a crowd. The truth is that the season total is but 4278 to date. Even if it's the largest crowd of the season, you won't see a Merlo crowd.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Empty Win Or Lose, We Are The Pilots!!!

Post by FANatic Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 pm

For the sake of making a point, let's say we lose to San Diego on Saturday night. (We won't...)

Losing to USD now would not be the best way to enter the playoffs. Truth be told, if we do lose to them, we still can make the magic to win six straight matches and the National Title with the strong core group we have.

Forgetting the RPI and home field advantage for a moment, a true champion will find a way to win no matter what the circumstances are. (See examples: 2002 season and 2005 season. Wins on road. Wins at home. Wins at College Cup locations. Trophies!!!!!!!)

Bottom line - anything is possible once you're in the tourney, as the OSU Beavers baseball team proved in 2006 and 2007. If we have to play UCLA on the road in the Quarters for the 3rd straight year, we win the dang match!!!

No excuses if we lose, please. You suck it up and start to prepare for 2009. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

And, by the way, we are the Pilots!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:58 pm

I would hope that this could be one of USD's biggest crowds, but who knows how big soccer is there.

OK, OK...I just realized you were saying 4278 is their season total Shocked

I initially thought, "why is he giving the figure from the SCU game?" Laughing Embarassed

I didn't notice any mention of TV, so maybe the 8 pm kickoff is because they feel like it. Guess it's live stats and the chat room for me Saturday.

You are right, FANatic: YOU CANNOT STOP US!! WE ARE THE U OF P!!!!! I know they will find a way. Doesn't mean the waiting isn't killing me. Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:31 pm

On the schedule sub-page of the San Diego Women's Soccer page, when I click on the Portland-San Diego game, the "Next Game" window indicates both Gametracker and "Listen Live." So, perhaps there will be an audio broadcast.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 am

I played football in Torero Stadium a few years ago... back when I was athletic. Their pitch is not crowned in the least... and does seem to hold up well. Shouldn't be any field issues on Saturday.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tamservo Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

USD has a football team? Huh, who knew... Are they the only school in the WCC with one?

My husband and I will be in SD this weekend and will be at the game cheering on the Pilots. Should be an exciting game... looking forward to it!

-T
(Long time lurker... first post!)
tamservo
tamservo
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:33 am

They do infact have a team, Jim Harbaugh former NFL QB and current Stanford coach was coaching there prior to Stanford... they play a Division 1 AA Schedule. They aren't very good.

Welcome by the way...

You will notice when there, that they have the sound system thing figured out... I was amazed how clear it was when I was there, pre-game music actually made the pitch vibrate.

Anyways... Enjoy!
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:21 am

Well, not to quibble with an esteemed Pilot Nation poster like Aleppiek, but actually USD's football team has been pretty good over the past several years. Harbaugh got the job at Stanford based off his success at San Diego.

But, of course, they aren't "good" by Pac-10 stanards or anything like that, but they are definitely good for their level.

They are 6-2 this year so far, 9-2 the year before that, 11-1 in 2006, and 11-1 in 2005.

Also, their quarterback from the past several years Josh Johnson was one of the first QBs taken in the last draft... went to Tampa Bay in the 5th round.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Empty BRING 'EM ON!!!!!

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Doesn't mean the waiting isn't killing me. Wink
Trust me, PPT, the waiting has been killing me as well.

But for some reason I got hit by a Pilots' 'lightning bolt' on Sunday against SCU. Maybe it was the intensity of the match. Perhaps the endless determination of the victors. Possibly Megan R. coming out like a long-caged rattlesnake. Maybe Sophie's continued dominance. Jessica's "don't ever question my abilities again" performance. Kelsey's continued vocal leadership and world class GK-ing. The defense's strong back wall. Charney finding her spot in the middle, allowing Megan to go crazy. The 'will' to NOT LOSE by THIS TEAM, led by Megan, Sophie, Kelsey and others, to 'anyone'!!!

I think we're ready for USD. And the playoffs, even if we have to start in the Appalachian Mountains...USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! Army
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:22 pm

I should say they weren't good... my D2 Western Oregon team beat them 34-3 back in 2002 while Harbaugh was there.

Is that better for you Stonehouse?
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:36 pm

The SD road game is the perfect way to wrap the regular season: everything on the line, both teams building up to this clash for the WCC championship, everyone honed and ready as they must be in the playoffs. Altogether suitable that the Pilots find themselves with one more mountain to climb to glory.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:56 pm

I think we're ready for USD. And the playoffs, even if we have to start in the Appalachian Mountains...
Listen, baby
Ain't no mountain high
Ain't no valley low
Ain't no river wide enough, baby

If you need me, call me
No matter where you are
No matter how far
Just call my name
I'll be there in a hurry
You don't have to worry

'Cause baby,
There ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from getting to you (WCC Championship)

Remember the day
I set you free
I told you
You could always count on me
From that day on I made a vow
I'll be there when you want me
Some way,some how

'Cause baby,
To keep me from getting to you (NCAA Finals)

No wind, no rain

My love is alive
Way down in my heart
Although we are miles apart
If you ever need a helping hand
I'll be there on the double
As fast as I can

Don't you know that
To keep me from getting to you (NCAA Championship)

Don't you know that
Ain't no river wide enough [quote]

Artists: Marvin Gaye/ Tammi Terrell
Written & composed by: Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter