Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring

3 posters

Go down

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring Empty Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm

I hadn't looked at the WCC stats in a while, but I was not surprised to see that Frankie Lopez is leading the WCC in scoring with 9 goals and 19 overall points. Next closest guys have 6 goals and 12 points. Collen Warner is leading the conference in assists with 6. Austin Guerrero leads the conference in saves by a big margin with 60.

Team wise, there is a lot of interesting stuff to look at there... UP leads the conference in goals, points and corner kicks, so clearly the offense is getting it done. We've also committed the fewest fouls and gotten the fewest yellow cards, which is a big change from recent seasons.

Unfortunately, though, we are near the bottom in goals allowed. And when you couple that with the number of saves Guerrero has had to make, it's pretty obvious that the defense is really struggling.

http://wccsports.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2008-2009/confldrs.html

Anyway, if we can just tighten things up on the backline I still think this team can win the conference. But we've got a tough task ahead and we'll need some help.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring Empty Not being negative here..

Post by footyfan Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Actual honest question..I kind of wondered this because it was made a pretty big deal when Luis broke the saves record.
Isn't it as much a negative on your defense as it would be a positive for the Keeper if you are making the most saves in the conference.

What that tells me is that yeah..your keeper is solid, but your defense is allowing more shots to come through to the keeper.
Am I wrong here?

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring Empty Re: Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Nah, you're right in a certain sense. But not all saves are equal either... a slow roller that needs to be picked up is a save just as a diving leap to tip a shot over the bar is a save. Sometimes a goalie can rack up saves because a defense is forcing opponents into bad shots... it kind of works both ways sometimes. I don't know.

But on the whole, yes, the more saves your goalie has the more shots your defense is allowing.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring Empty Defense

Post by cheath Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Okay guys.....let's put the record straight.....since Logan was moved to central defender with Ryan 10 games ago, we have given up no more than 1 goal per game EXCEPT the Gonzaga game where we had to play down a man for 60 minutes and the San Diego game, where Austin called off the defenders and gave up 2 weak goals (the first 2). Much to his credit, he owned them to his teammates after the game. If you saw the 2 games this past weekend, 2 different tales....when this team does not put pressure on the other team all over the pitch, bad things happen....when they put pressure on all game, good things usually happen. This is a good team when they play with pressure all over the pitch.

cheath
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring Empty Re: Lopez Leading WCC in Scoring

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Well, they did give up three to San Diego.

But your point is taken... three 1-0 losses in the past five games is pretty frustrating. And five one goal losses in the past seven. Ah! I swear this team is better than its record, but it still hasn't quite shown that it can get it done when it needs to... no way they should have lost to USF and Seattle at home.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down