Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oct 6 NSCAA poll is out

+5
FANatic
UPSoccerFanatic
aleppiek
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oct 6 NSCAA poll is out - Page 2 Empty Re: Oct 6 NSCAA poll is out

Post by GUPhantom Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm curious about the guy or gal who noticed Rampone's potential and had the foresight to invite her to the Senior National Camp? Was it a Pilot who scouted her? Odds are....Yes, huh? Was Clive involved? Very Happy

GO PILOTS!!!

Last edited by GUPhantom on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks for taking attention away from me, Phantom. Just not my day today.

BTW - great find on the Christie Rampone article. Simply a classic tale of the American dream come true for one young lady.

Simply amazing and inspiring and a story worth spreading around. (Okay, spreaders, get to work!) Read
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:21 pm

GUPhantom wrote:I'm curious about the guy or gal who noticed Rampone's potential and had the foresight to invite her to the Senior National Camp? Was it a Pilot who scouted her? Odds are....Yes, huh? Was it Clive? :D

GO PILOTS!!!

The US coach at the time (1997) was Tony Dicicco, Clive was u20 women's coach from 1993-1995, so I don't think we can give him credit. He was coaching the men's u23's and was assistant on the men's full team then.

A forward in college, she was one of a long line of non-UNC players who was offered a spot on the WNT if she played out of position (Macmillan made the team as a mid about that time). UNC players got the forward spots on the National team. About the only exception was Tiff.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:39 pm

FANatic wrote:Just one small point from a guy who is very red in the face.

Western Oregon University was initially founded in 1856 by pioneers who named it Monmouth University. I don't believe it kept that name for too long. (See Wiki below.)

Wiki - 1856 Monmouth U.

(Rumor has it they had a mean ladies soccer program!)
geek
My dad will tell you that "back in my day..." Sleep Very Happy it was Oregon College of Education (maybe not that long ago). I can remember when it went from a State College to a University along with Eastern and Southern.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:21 pm

The US coach at the time (1997) was Tony Dicicco, Clive was u20 women's coach from 1993-1995, so I don't think we can give him credit. He was coaching the men's u23's and was assistant on the men's full team then.

You would be amazed at how much the network of US National Team Coaches communicate cross gender and age to point out players to each other. If Clive was aware of Christine Rampone playing in his backyard. Tony heard about it. Of course the ultimate decision was for the head coach but they all rely on one another to spot talent wherever they find it. The soccer coaching world is such a small circle its erie. Even the club coaches all know each other from all different places on the globe.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2